Forums Latest Members

Customize the heck out of it!! Lol

1. Mister2kris Jun 5, 2024

I’ve seen postings where collectors state “keep it original because it’ll negatively affect the value”. What do u guys think? I actually think it can improve the value if done tastefully. (Side Note: I kept replaced parts just in case hahaha)

1) Rolex Sub 14060m: Acrylic Crystal
    2) FOIS: Clear Caseback, OEM Lollipop Hand, US Mex Holzer

These watches are keepers so I didn’t mind making them the way I like :).

62AD4D5D-2B0A-4EB4-98F3-0F1DF1E9CC08.jpeg
  2. zedlebowski Jun 5, 2024

Personally, I wouldn't modify an older, vintage watch, but I like what you did with the FOIS. I've seen a few cool mods on FOIS including several on the forum.

Mister2kris likes this.
  3. Watch my Whisky Jun 5, 2024

Life is too short to care what people on the internet think about modifying watches.

Just don’t polish the cases.

4. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jun 5, 2024

Stick to your day job.

Charlemagne1333 and blufinz52 like this.
  5. JwRosenthal Jun 5, 2024

Mods that are reversible- like these, I have no issue with. If you keep the original parts and offer them to the next owner (either with or back on the watch per the buyer’s preference) then I see no reason it should effect resale value in any way if you decide to move them along some day.

And to your point about improving resale- weeellll, in terms of being a desirable mod like the Japan Racing dials that have made their way on to plain-Jane Speedy’s- yes. But those typically sell for base cost of the watch plus cost of the factory upgrade parts- someone just did the work for you.

6. Pvt-Public Jun 6, 2024

It will only improve the value to the people who don't know any better. But, if it improves the value for you. go for it they are your watches!!

7. reverbtime Jun 6, 2024

Very low chance of this, IMO.

I personally like to keep everything original. But, it's your watch and glad these are not permanent changes if you ever decide to go back 100% factory original.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  8. machamp6650 Jun 6, 2024

I agree with this point, but I think where it gets tricky (or interesting) is around variation in what people might see as the 'cost price' of such parts. I'd guess a number of people here would own modded speedies from back in the day where you could get a Mitsukoshi dial for $300 from Watchco and bolt it onto a $2000 donor watch. By contrast, newer collectors might reference a mod like this against current prices for speedies and the only ongoing online retail seller of the dial - who's currently asking 3999 GBP. I'm sure that calculation of the additive parts value is still there, but it feels like over time this might equate to beliefs that these are multi-thousand dollar upgrades.

Mister2kris and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. JwRosenthal Jun 6, 2024

Yeah- it’s tricky now the parts aren’t readily available from a 3rd party vendor anymore. A couple years ago you would see the Japan racing dials kits for the cost of the parts, modded JR Speedies for about $5k (again- sum of the parts), but it’s been a while since I’ve seen one. So no clue what one would go for now.

The issue will be in 10 years where those well modded watches will be 2-3 owners on and they end up in the hands of more nefarious sellers who intend to deceive. It will be even more important to get movement pics/warranty card/extract to verify authenticity

Mister2kris and machamp6650 like this.
  10. Dan S Jun 6, 2024

What do you mean by OEM?

11. Watch my Whisky Jun 6, 2024

Original Equipment Manufacturer. In this case it’s a long way of saying Omega.

Different from Original Equipment, which would be the Omega part originally on the watch.

Also, I like Fun-Yuns.

12. Dan S Jun 6, 2024

I know what OEM stands for. I would actually like to hear the answer from the OP, what he means by it and where the hand came from.

Edited Jun 6, 2024
  13. timjohn Jun 7, 2024

It's always struck me as a little strange that the collecting community's ideal is a NOS watch: ie one with as little individuality as possible. Although I adhere to the norm and don't mod my watches, particularly my older watches -- I don't want to destroy value -- I find my immaculate watches increasingly charmless. For the same reason, I wouldn't want to live in a Lloyd Wright house: you move a dining chair and you're going to be accused of sacrilege.

I bought the Ranchero below years ago, and I've got a set of broad arrow hands in the safe, but find I like the story as it is and have never had the heart to put it 'right'. Same with my 5512, although I have put a crown on it....

The market is never going to reward a modder, but it is unmistakably yours, and there is something I find a little bit admirable about that.
    Omega Ranchero.JPG IMG_3083.JPG

dinglem, sheepdoll and Mister2kris like this.
  14. dinglem Jun 7, 2024

I have recently started to think there is something kind of cool about having the odd custom watch in my collection. I am already a patina guy so i like a unique look. I think of it a little bit like rat-look VW camper vans. Some people prefer an immaculately presented example, whereas others like the unkept and aged appearance of a custom van. I think if you love the look of a watch then go for it. If it happens to be a high-end/high value watch that somebody has had the balls to DELIBERATELY customise to create a certain appeal, then fine. This is very different to a poor and incorrect restoration job of course. Are you modifying to sell on or to keep and tending towards your own tastes? Lots of questions really. For me, i'd prefer have something different rather than something that is exactly the same as every other pristine or over-restored example out there.

Mister2kris likes this.
  15. Ron_W Jun 7, 2024

Value / prices follow the market as with original examples if i check C24 offerings for Japan racing dials 3570.40 watches and Mod`s.
    Plenty originals for sale from Japan for below 10K, a bit of a flood these last weeks and i suspect things are going South in the Japanese watch market this year.
    There are 2 3570.50 Racing Mods i see in Europe for € 5400 and € 5800 so hardly a premium compared to original 3570.50 - and they include the original dials !

I like a good Mod for my personal taste, not as merchandise, but some sellers are still hopefull for a profit and have yet to accept reality, or lack basic good taste....
    a 3594.50 with multiple personality disorder

ugly mod 2.jpg

Wishfull pricing strategy...

ugly mod.jpg

The asking for this Orange Boy is € 6250 , but deal it down and put back some original hands and you have a nice watch i think.

ugly orange hand.jpg

16. Mister2kris Jun 7, 2024

Here's where the lollipop hand came from (not my image) and it fit perfectly with the FOIS

Omega-Speedmaster-Moonwatch-ck-2998-limited-edition-5.jpg
    Ron_W likes this.