Forums Latest Members

Custom Watch Straps in Paris

1. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Aug 16, 2016

Heading back to Paris in a few weeks and ran across this website.
    http://www.abp-paris.com/abpw/watch_straps_index.php
    Atelier du Bracelet Parisian
    They have some pretty cool leathers and skins. Stock and custom made. Has anyone had any dealings with these guys? Comments on the quality for the price? Worth a stop?

Thanks

2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 16, 2016

Yes, I've posted about them a number of times already.
    Their website is what got me into vintage military watches.
    They do incredible stuff -- pricey but definitely worth a visit. They also have really cool alligator NATOs, NATOs with gold hardware.

I have several straps from them.

NATOs with gold hardware.
    Will give any gold watch an incredibly classy look (see on their website with the JLC Memovox - it's amazing):
    [​IMG]

Alligator NATOs (incredibly classy but the prices are steep.
    The single layered ones are cheaper but might end up being a bit flimsy and stretch with a heavy watch).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheaper and more basic: distressed calf NATO.

[​IMG]

Edited Aug 16, 2016
    watchcollect and tpatta like this.
  3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Aug 16, 2016

My wife and I went to Paris for our honeymoon in 2012, and we went to Goyard on St Honore for her to pick up her painted tote...it was right close to ABP, and I stopped in. Right before we went over to Paris, one of my buddies picked up a Monaco re-edition on Craigslist for me, and brought it to the wedding, so I had it in Paris with me.

When I walked in, I saw a custom blue croc rallye strap with red stitching that they had made for the Monaco...and the customer never picked up...I got it for 175 euro. I have since sold the watch, but will keep that strap for eternity as a momemto of my honeymoon.

They are amazing straps, and the store is so cool! Buy one...they are worth every penny.

philh, Syrte and tpatta like this.
  4. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Aug 16, 2016

Thanks to both of you. Looks like I'll be heading over there. The Cobra skin looked sweet.
    Looking forward to the pics.

5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 16, 2016

Posted some... also should mention that their hides are incredible but if you want to commission a bespoke strap in somewhat less exotic hides (eg alligator, ostrich), there is also Atelier Jean Rousseau nearby - 8 rue Duphot, a 15 minute walk away, right off Madeleine.
    It's much cheaper for projects such as the one below (alligator with rivets for a fixed lug WWII military navigation watch):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to provide the rivets though, courtesy of @Myron who kindly supplied them to me.

However, there's nothing like ABP if you want hand sewn frog skin, or hippo or kangaroo, or stingray with disco colors.... it's just undescribable.

Edited Aug 17, 2016
    tpatta likes this.
  6. yinzerniner Aug 16, 2016

ABP and Camille Fournet are generally known as top bespoke strap makers for MANY high-end brands - think Patek, FP Journe, Glashutte Original, MBF, etc. They're work is near-unimpeachable, but as stated above you'll pay a pretty penny. Their exotic hide and skin collections are impossible to match unless you're really going for one-off custom made options.

Jean Rousseau is near their quality for less exotic hides but roughly 1/2 the price. JR also has studios in NYC, London, and other major metropolitan areas.

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 16, 2016

Holy moly! Emile, Social Contract, and now bespoke watch straps! Is there nothing that crazy philosophe can't do?

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 16, 2016

Your should see Nietzsche's distressed horned croco...

9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 17, 2016

One last important note on pricing, while ABP is overall the most expensive of these makers mentioned, their website orders are more competitively priced with special order straps starting at 160 euros.
    And that'll include semi exotic hides such as kangaroo, ostrich beaver tail, frogskin, python or shark in all sorts of hues.
    So one option is to look at their hides in the shop and then order on line if you want to order from them.
    Alligator and stingray will be more expensive.

Edited Aug 17, 2016
    tpatta likes this.