Forums Latest Members

Currently on eBay - please help me figure if real or fake

1. Montrealgpf1 Jan 4, 2016

Hi all, I am new to this site and Omegas, but have been reading on watches for a while. Nowhere near an expert and will never be, but would be grateful if I could tap into the wealth of knowledge I see here. I have done what I could to form an opinion on my own before asking and verified that the sellers I identified are not "reported" here. I just don't know how you guys can tell when a dial was redone vs original and I am always amazed when you do it with so much confidence (and irony )... So now to my questions:

1) is the Seamaster watch fake and is the dial original as claimed (pics 1-2-3)? I think the seller is wrong to date it to 1954 as it appears to be 1952 per my reading, so that raised suspicion from the getgo...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/291623389413?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2) and is the Constellation watch fake (pics 4-5-6-7)? Price seems low, and I have read so many crazy stories that I feel unable to decide for myself if this is genuine... Dial has imperfections that could indicate it is original (but then again one of you will probably tell me this is a bad paint job and burst my bubble ...).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391333058727?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks a lot in advance for any timely advice, opinion (insults?) or comment. Keep up the good work as this site is simply amazing.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. Dr No Jan 4, 2016

I've been looking at quite a few ref 2518s and 2576s lately, and my sense is the dial is refinished.

As for the Constellation, the dial may well be original, but not to that particular watch. And neither is the crown.

Cordially,

Art

3. Ericoh Jan 4, 2016

Isnt the Seamaster missing the cut-off 6? (No expert, don't mind me.)

4. novina Jan 4, 2016

Looks to me that the first is a redial. Script looks off. OMEGA and AUTOMATIC do no appear to line up perfectly. Also the SEAMASTER seems off to me also, just too rough. My finding may also be due to distortion, but I think not. I will defer to the next more knowable member. I may just be seeing things. Don't know nearly enough to comment on the Conny, but if you run the numbers in the vintage database, well we know how that goes.

5. Montrealgpf1 Jan 6, 2016

Thanks guys. Now that I am blowing up the dial picture of the Constellation, I also see the star a bit tilted clockwise.

Novina, pardon my inexperience, bu what do you mean by "run the numbers in the vintage database"? Are you referring to the ranfft.de website? And what do you mean with "we know how that goes"? 'cause I don't...

6. novina Jan 6, 2016

Omega vintage data base. http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage/ Input case reference number. Works sometimes and should, but not always, gives a picture and further information.

The data base website was redesigned. It does not always work anymore with some reference numbers.

If you search here, you should find a thread on the titled star, misaligned star. Can't remember how the thread was titled.

7. Kja Jan 6, 2016

The Connie dial looks like a service replacement? Early 60's dial on a early 50's watch.. Both watches are a mess.