Forums Latest Members

Current Rolex Explorer 1 or Black Bay 41

1. R3D9 Mar 26, 2017

The announcement of the Black Bay 41 this week has put me into a bit of a tailspin.

My back story:

The Explorer was the first watch I fell in love with when an uncle let me try his 1016 on when I was 15 or so.

Fast forward a decade, and when I tried on the 36mm Explorer in-store, it felt a little too small for my grown up wrist.

The original 39 was dead to me as soon as someone pointed out to me how disproportionate the hands were.

Then came the revised version announced last year at Baselworld. 39mm, the correct sized hands and lumed numerals to boot.

Anyhow, the new Explorer has been at the top of my next-to-buy list, but now that the Black Bay 41 has come out, I'm thinking it gets 95% of the way to what I love about the Explorer 1 for 50% of the price.

Anyways, can't wait to see it in the metal - hopefully that will help me make my decision.

I'm interested to hear what all of you are thinking!

2. HiddeninAihara Mar 26, 2017

In my opinion, but another one's words: "once you get bit by the explorer bug, it's hard thing to shake." I think you should get the explorer 1 if you've been thinking about it since you were 15.

I am exactly in your shoes. I think the idea of a 36mm watch looking good on my slim wrists is the thing of the past. I am all for the small watch trend, and hope the industry goes toward a reversal in terms of sizing; however, I feel like 38-39mm looks the best proportionally on my wrist.

I think you should buy the explorer because they hold value much better, if you don't like it you can sell it and buy the black bay (you will take a hit, but at least you won't take a huge hit).

Personally, Tudor doesn't call out to me. I am however, very impressed by their marketing.

3. R3D9 Mar 26, 2017

The value-retention aspect is something I hadn't really considered and definitely a good point.

4. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Mar 26, 2017

I think @Interstellar17 makes a great point about value retention. However the stronger point I feel that he makes is that you have been thinking about the Explorer I since you were 15. And you haven't been able to shake the thought for that long. And suddenly something new comes along that seems like a good alternative. I say wait it out. Try them both on. Hold them side by side. Take pics. And wait some more. See if the BB41 still holds higher in your mind.

Just my $0.02.

I like the BB36 (I like it more than the 41 now) and the Polar Explorer II.

5. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 26, 2017

I'd say you can probably predict for yourself well in advance of going hands on with the BB41: If you're generally the kind of person who can be happy with things that are close, in a lot of ways, to the things you actually desire, then you'll probably be able to scratch the Explorer itch with the BB41.

But if you're the type who has to have the real McCoy, I'm here to say, this watch is so not going to disappoint. Worth the money, worth stretching to get it. Literally zero regrets buying it, even though I got it just weeks before Basel -- and I definitely paused, thinking "what if something else comes up at Basel that I want even more?" Then I realized, like a second later... nah, not gonna happen! ;)

Looking forward to hearing whatever you decide!

IMG_0042.jpg

6. chows99 Mar 26, 2017

The love will not get satiated till you get the real thing. Just buy what u fancy deep down inside you. In any case, Rolex watches retains value well which is a plus factor.

R3D9, marcn and Riviera Paradise like this.
  7. Riviera Paradise Mar 27, 2017

Not much more to add to the good posts above...but as an Explorer 1 owner I can assure you will not be disappointed paying the additional 50% for one of the most classic iconic tool watches in the Rolex product range.

Nobel Prize and marcn like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 27, 2017

While Rolex guys want bigger everyone else is going smaller lol.

I'm 6'4 with 7.5 wrists. I love 35mm watches, I also love my 42's and my 45.5.

I find a great confidence in the smaller size. Look great on a bracelet or simple strap for business. And they butch up great on well worn leather NATO straps without looking oversized, something that 42's can. My 45.5 will never see a NATO, it would be huge.

9. onthedial Mar 27, 2017

@R3D9
    You realize that you're comparing an ETA movement (Black Bay 41) with an in-house cal. 3132 (Explorer 214270), right ? Basically, that's all that needs to be said.

OMGRLX likes this.
  10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 27, 2017

As a few people have said, if the explorer has been your dream watch since you're fifteen ( and assuming you're not sixteen) that would be my recommendation.

Every time I have settled for an alternative I have regretted it and ended up waisting time and money getting what I really wanted

11. pippy Mar 27, 2017

If you go for the Explorer you will never be sorry.:thumbsup:

12. micampe Mar 27, 2017

The Tudor to me looks just as wrong as the first 39mm Explorer: it's a diver with a missing bezel, like one of those diy mods where they put a diver dial on a field watch.

13. adi4 Mar 27, 2017

I think the Explorer is the better looking of the two by far, and I agree that the Black Bay 41 looks like the divers bezel popped off (at least to my eyes). Don't think I've ever been happy with a substitute watch before, so I think you should go with the one you originally fell for.

Gmfsrc likes this.
  14. R3D9 Mar 27, 2017

Fantastic feedback from you all - thank you!

I'll be sure to try the BB 41 when it finally arrives in shops here in Canada (we always seem to get everything last), but unless it completely grabs me, the Explorer 1 will likely remain my target.

@onthedial - totally understand/agree that the Rolex movement is technically superior in every way, but I've owned a few watches with the 2824 and I have great respect for the movement's ruggedness and the relative ease with which it can be serviced by just about any competent watchmaker for a relatively low cost.

Nobel Prize, Foo2rama and marcn like this.
  15. WatchWarlock Mar 27, 2017

As I've learned from Breaking Bad: No Half Measures

demollo, Jwit and R3D9 like this.
  16. onthedial Mar 27, 2017

@R3D9
    FWIW: I know many are quite happy with the new look of the 214270 (2nd Gen.), and I think it looks great too. However, I actually prefer the 1st Gen. Either way, the modern Explorer, whether it's the 14270, the 114270 or the 214270 is a fantastic watch and a solid candidate for a "one watch" collection.

Alphasports and R3D9 like this.
  17. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Mar 27, 2017

IMG_1208.JPG You have an emotional connection with the explorer thaw black bay will never live up to it... get the explorer and get the black bay two-three years from now for 50% mrsp... that is what I did

RedRock, R3D9 and Jwit like this.
  18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 27, 2017

I agree with you, I like the applied numerals over the lume. A little less sporty. Yes, the hands are an improvement but I'm not that bothered by the shorter hand.

19. WatchWarlock Mar 27, 2017

As an owner of the "Mark 1" I am biased and agree. The stub hands have no bothered me at all given the outcry it has generated. Perhaps it is because I've never owned the previous 36mm 14270 and can't compare.

Alphasports and keepitsimple like this.
  20. speedolex Mar 27, 2017

[​IMG]

.....along these lines, no half measures, if one dreamed of a 1016 for a couple of decades one must have a 1016. I got mine a year ago, it wasn't cheap, but it is a superb daily wearer and has that throwback vintage vibe that the new Explorer and the Black Bay cannot replicate. Buy one in the proper condition, you can sell it in 30 years for more than you paid for it, like many Rolexes, they turn out to be free of charge.

L8nce, Brianstoops, Reborn and 9 others like this.