Forums Latest Members

Curious about this Longines

1. nerd Apr 16, 2017

I came across this Longines at a local shop and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Looks like maybe a manual wind Cal 285 from what I can find online? The hands look odd to me, but I don't really know enough about these watches to tell if they are correct. Any observations?

image.jpeg
    Andsan likes this.
  2. argonbeam Apr 16, 2017

Would be helpful to see the movement, but 285 not a bad guess for a manual wind with date function. Those cushion cases are actually pretty comfortable to wear and the hands look fine. For the right price I would pick this one up. 'Right price' for me is usually pretty low though :p. I do like the 285 movement though. Manual wind with date function kind of fun. How much they want?

3. nerd Apr 16, 2017

Yeah I thought the same thing, very comfortable on the wrist and a sharp looking watch. Maybe a little over polished looking.

They want about $500 US sold "as-is" whatever that means, but have very little information about it, and did not know about service history. I like it, but am not sure I'm ready to bite on this one.

4. argonbeam Apr 16, 2017

Seems a little steep, especially without a service history and probable need for service. Lots of cushion case Longines out there, many in the Ultra Chron line. The model I have shows up on eBay every so often, usually $100-300 depending on condition. Not a true c-case but close and is thin and good size.

IMG_0030.JPG

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 16, 2017

This thread is the reason why I stick with eBay. For little more that half the asking price of the "C" case, I think you can get a very nice Longines with the cal. 30L in steel. Now, you may have to stick your neck out a little bit by buying a watch from another country, or where the pictures aren't very good.

This is what I came up with. Didn't take long to search it out either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Persistence and education will pay off in the end.
    gatorcpa

pinpallet, Syrte, ahartfie and 3 others like this.
  6. argonbeam Apr 16, 2017

I agree totally. When in doubt, post a link to a watch in question and you'll quickly get some good advice. Gatorcpa has a knack for finding good stuff. My chronometer ultrachron (going with the c case theme) was brought to my attention by him, in fact. I have had good luck with overseas sellers as well, but it does take a small leap of faith. I also try and factor in the cost of a service when figuring out what I'm willing to pay.

Edited Apr 16, 2017
  7. nerd Apr 16, 2017

Thanks for the advice you guys, you've confirmed my initial thoughts. Nice watches posted here, the hunt continues!