Forums Latest Members
  1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 4, 2015

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 4, 2015

Horrific redial, but no reason to doubt it is otherwise authentic. Cuervo y Sobrinos was a Havana retailer - not manufacturer - whose name has recently been resurrected as a watch brand - a garish and ugly one.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 4, 2015

It is not a "Cuban Made" watch. It's a regular Longines watch. It should be no different inside than any other 1950's Longines. Probably a Swiss made case also.

Cuervo Y Sobrinos was a large jeweler in Havana in the pre-Castro days. I have seen a number of their pieces and crude redials adding their name were not unusual.

Here is a site that has lots of pictures of correct CyS retailed watches. Only available in Spanish, but Google translate works well:

http://www.relojes-especiales.com/foros/esenciales/cuervo-y-sobrinos-cuba-historia-97340/

My gut tells me that this watch is probably as advertised. Could have come off the wrist of an exile from 1959 living in Miami.

Here's a picture from the post above with another Longines:

image.jpg

Or it could be a total concoction.
    gatorcpa

4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 4, 2015

Thanks gator! I can read Spanish so that's a fun link.

In the past, I've thought of adding an example of a Cuervo Y Sobrinos retailed watch from the pre-Castro days to the menagerie here but have apparently waited too late. All the ones that seem to show up on Ebay are recent redials ... unless that's just the way they looked back then.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 4, 2015

My main concern with this watch is that there are no movement pictures and I can't tell if there are any Swiss hallmarks on the case lugs.

That crappy redial is pretty consistent with others I've seen.

At current price it a decent gamble. Don't think it will stay there.
    gatorcpa

6. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 4, 2015

You're right. It probably won't stay near that price.

Too ugly and I'm not interested in subjecting it to a re-dial in order to make it into something I would wear.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 4, 2015

If I wanted to buy that watch, the last thing I would do is redial it. I do think it is as originally sold, crappy redial and all.

Question I have are all about the case and movement. This seller would double the price by posting additional pictures.

gatorcpa

8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 6, 2015

9. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jul 15, 2015

yes, I also see a lot of C&S watches the last couple of months ... and as so many vintage watch ads, they just try to want to cash in on some random (but irrelevant) argument (pre-revolution watch) .... thats IMHO nothing more than the "Türler" watches ...

cheers Al

noelekal likes this.
  10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 4, 2015

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 4, 2015

No. A quick flipper out to make a buck.

"Cuban made" watch? Really?

The embargo is still in, so I guess it's not legal. :p
    gatorcpa

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 4, 2015

Surely no one is blind or dumb enough to shell out that kind of money on a watch as ugly and blatantly redialed as that? The original sales price was already absurd.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 4, 2015

Lou - I'm pretty sure that the watch was redialled by Cuervo y Sobrinos in Cuba prior to sale. So IMO, it's as original. But Cuban Made it isn't.

There was another post where I posted from a Spanish blog that had dozens of watches with ugly refills like that.

gatorcpa