Forums Latest Members

Crystal Scratches on Vintage Connies - Restoration Help!

1. Anj May 9, 2018

So I've never restored crystals before and some of the watches I acquired have some scratches.

What is safe to use on them?

I've searched it up on Google and most of them suggest Polywatch, and some videos even polish it.

Some special ones like the C-case connie with the daydate cyclops I heard is impossible to find a replacement crystal so I want to be extra careful.

I'm thinking using just Polywatch.

What do you pros suggest?

Thanks!

2. Gurn May 9, 2018

What do watchmakers usually charge to do this. I think I'll have mine done. I think I would be to scarred to try on my Omega. If you do decide to do yourself I was planning on trying it out on some junk watches I have. I would suggest doing that as well.

3. Anj May 9, 2018

Also considering the toothpaste method, although not sure how effective it is. Just making sure it won't ruin anything!

4. Gurn May 9, 2018

It also depend on how deep the scratches are. I saw some videos of using sand paper to remove scratches. I think 1000 grit? I use Flitz on plastic meter covers. Does great on them as long as there are no deep scratches. https://www.flitz.com/flitz-polish-liquid/

5. Dan S May 9, 2018

There is no reason to be scared to attempt this, you really can't cause much harm as long as you don't use something with a coarse grit. I never use anything coarser than fine Scotch-Brite (if there are deep scratches), and then I polish some sort of polishing compound, a Cape Cod cloth, toothpaste, Polywatch, or whatever else I have lying around. It's just an acrylic crystal, don't get too precious about it. As long as you remove the scratches and end up with a nice clear crystal, the job is satisfactory.

6. Anj May 9, 2018

Sounds good. It's a bit sad, but I've never sanded anything in my life. What grit sandpaper should I use do you think?

7. Dan S May 9, 2018

It's hard to say without seeing the crystal in person. The best thing to do is to have a series of different grits (you can buy an assortment of ultra-fine sandpaper on Amazon) and to use the finest grit (the highest number) that is sufficient to remove the scratches to your satisfaction. Then move to finer grits, and ultimately to a fine polishing compound (like Polywatch, toothpaste, Flitz, etc.), until the surface is optically clear. In practice, this can often be done in one or two steps if the scratches are shallow. Maybe start with Polywatch alone, and see if you are happy. If not, move to a coarser compound like Flitz, and then Polywatch. If that still doesn't do it, you will need to go to fine sandpaper (1000 grit or higher) or Scotch Brite (e.g. very fine white pads) to start, and then to polishing compounds and Polywatch. I know this sounds hard, but it's really not so complicated. Just be patient and don't jump right to using a coarser grit than necessary.

Finally, don't be too picky about removing every single scratch. As long as it basically looks ok to you with the naked eye, you should just live with it. After all, you'll probably scratch it again soon.

Edited May 9, 2018
    Gurn and Anj like this.
  8. marco May 11, 2018

Solvol autosol works fine. It was originally made to polish perspex gun enclosures on ww2 bombers.

Jerseyhammer, fnzeee and felsby like this.
  9. chipsotoole May 11, 2018

If Polywatch and elbow grease can't clear it, then get a new crystal. I find better results putting the polywatch on a thick piece of cloth flat on the table and rubbing the watch over it. (you need to be a little careful with delicate watches as the repetition could damage/misalign the inner workings and if the movement rattles in the case in any way, do it the traditional way. ) over time the cloth gets impregnated and so you need to use less polywatch ( and it's great quick fix for the odd incurred day to day scratch) , though obviously you should keep the cloth in a poly bag when not in use. This method isn't for everybody , but I find it quick and relatively hassle free. I've tried other polishing methods with varying grits etc, and find them fraught with danger and damage!! If you're going to do any sapphire glass.....PRACTICE on something cheap!!!

Jerseyhammer, Gurn and felsby like this.
  10. redpcar May 11, 2018

If you have never used sandpaper, do not use sandpaper on a prized watch. Practice practice practice on a beater. Too easy to make a slip and f#%k up a bezel / case permanently.
    The answer is: it depends on the depth of your scratches.
    Post a pic of what you have. We can help.

I use everything from 400 to 2000 then a fine polish.
    Purchase polywatch first. You'll need it anyway.

11. Gurn May 11, 2018

All good advice here. Print worthy

12. Anj May 13, 2018

I got my tube of Polywatch and polished all my watches...

All the crystals look brand new! I'm actually surprised at how it worked much better than I thought. It actually worked too well, I tried to scrub off the patina on my Rolex jubilee bracelet and it came off. I've tried just scrubbing it hard with just toothpaste and a towel before and it didn't change anything. Guessing the aluminum oxide in it acts as an abrasive and it worked to take off the tarnish. Gave it a breath of new life.

Edited May 13, 2018
    Gurn and Dan S like this.
  13. Gurn May 13, 2018

I'll have to order some of the stuff.

14. fnzeee May 15, 2018

I have done some acrylic restoration on Midos and other brands and would suggest the following.

1) If the scratches are deep enough to catch your fingernail, then they will likely need to be sanded first, then polished. If they are lighter then a product like Polywatch, Displex or Quixx (find in the auto section, amazing stuff) will bring the crystal back to near perfection. Toothpast can work, but do not bother with it for an Omega. It is much more work, messy and unpredictable given the wide variation in toothpastes. If you must, use a plain regular white paste that is not “whitening formula” or anything else.
    2) If your crystal requires sanding, I suggest you do not do it yourself. For one, you can go too deep or unevenly thin the crystal. More importantly, if you do not properly mask the bezel you will do irreparable harm to your beautiful timepiece. Not worth the risk IMO, unless you are very comfortable with the procedure.
    3) If you must diy a crystal with deep scratches, make damn sure to tape the bezel well, go slowly with the process of sanding and polishing.
    4) When you are doing the polishing, rub gently to slightly firmly in a circular motion for 1-2 minutes. Then rinse and dry, check your work with a loupe and repeat if necessary. Better to do it in small batches and repeat then to try to do it all in one step.

Good luck to you, and please post the before and after photos here for us to admire your work!

0C7D44AC-4F03-4D9C-B2F9-F46E5FB6E702.jpeg
    Edited May 15, 2018
    Jerseyhammer, Anj, Gurn and 1 other person like this.
  15. Anj May 15, 2018

Unfortunately I didn't take photos from before to highlight the scratches so it's not as noticeable. So these were just regular photos, but the crystal looked worse in person. On the after photos, there's not a hint of scratches.

This is my hidden crown connie:

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks brand new, don't you think?

16. fnzeee May 15, 2018

It looks great...well done! How long did it take and any feedback for others here who may be thinking about doing the same?

17. Gurn May 15, 2018

Nice job

18. Anj May 16, 2018

I took my time, but realistically it shouldn't take too long. After a few minutes the major scratches were already quite unnoticeable, but I put in the extra effort to really make it pristine. Maybe 30 minutes of polishing and 3 applications. I did the same for 5 watches and it took me around 3 hours since I am OCD on even the faintest hairline scratch.

fnzeee likes this.
  19. fnzeee May 16, 2018

Thanks, it sounds like you did not need any sanding and were still able to remove some sizable scratches. Your patience is commendable, and the results speak for themselves!

Anj likes this.
  20. Jerseyhammer May 16, 2018

100% agree use a compound and elbow grease