Forums Latest Members
  1. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Feb 11, 2016

I sent a 2852 to my watchmaker for an overhaul and crystal replacement.

He emailed me the quote which included a generic crystal.

Should I insist that it be Omega or not?

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 11, 2016

Should not be that much different in price. Say $20-30

I would go original if they are still available all the time.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 12, 2016

Not just being picky here, but there is a difference between most generic crystals and many original Omega crystals. If the crystal uses a tension ring (or reflector ring) the Omega crystal will have a step in that ring, where the generic may not.

This step is there to allow the dial, and therefore the movement, to sit further in the case towards the crystal. If it's not there, then you risk having the movement further back in the case than it should be. This can lead to the stem not being centered in the case tube (eventually leading to a broken stem) and I have even seen it cause interference between the rotor and case back on some watches.

In this case, Omega for sure.

Cheers, Al

lindo and Interstellar like this.
  4. Interstellar Feb 12, 2016

If given a choice, I'd go with original crystal for sure.

5. Canuck Feb 12, 2016

Original Omega crystal is the only choice! If a "watchmaker" has quoted you for a generic crystal for your Omega, you need to insist on a genuine Omega. There IS a practical difference between the genuine and generic, as Archer has pointed out! Genuine only, even if the price is a bit higher!

6. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Feb 12, 2016

Thanks guys.

Much appreciated!

7. ibis888 Feb 12, 2016

My speedy has a generic hesalite crystal and it bugs me.. I'm considering changing it out even though it is essentially scratch free.

8. g-boac Feb 12, 2016

it could even be possible the watchmaker with whom you have the watch no longer has access to genuine Omega parts. This is serious enough, and I'd be concerned enough that this watchmaker even suggested using a generic part, that I'd suggest to you that you respectfully recall your watch, and dispatch either to Al, or to Omega for service. The one thing you want to do is keep your genuine Omega, all Omega.

And, accept no compromise!! No matter what the watchmaker in whose care you placed your genuine Omega timepiece tells you about how "it doesn't make a difference" or "trust me, it's the same" - if it doesn't say "Omega" on the package, it isn't a genuine part!

Edited Feb 12, 2016
  9. g-boac Feb 12, 2016

Looking to an analogous application where this question is often asked - automotive parts. As an example, the advice of the Ford Motor Company on aftermarket parts is also very applicable to this specific situation: if you fix your Ford (or in this case, your Omega) with anything other than original Omega parts, it’s not your Omega anymore:

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-care/why-ford-collision-parts.html

In short, every part has to work together, not all replacement parts are created equal, and only original Omega parts are specifically designed and built to deliver exactly the same performance characteristics as the original parts.

10. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Feb 13, 2016

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 13, 2016

I agree, no need to start a war, but some perspective is needed.

Those pushers are not meant to be disassembled for installation - they press right in to the case fully assembled. The reason the screw is breaking is because they are secured to the pusher cap with Loctite, and yes if you try to unscrew them they will break almost every time. There is no need to unscrew them like there is the screw in pushers, which do not have Loctite on the screw that threads into the cap and can easily be disassembled for installation.

I rarely have an Omega crystal break on installation...maybe the odd one here and there over the years, but one in every two? That tells me there is a problem with the technique or equipment being used.

It is not unusual for hands from any brand to need fitting, and it is a common thing watchmakers do broaching them to fit - it's routine work. And the rotor bushes for the 55X, 56X, and 75X series (pinion is the correct name) are intentionally left undersized so they can be broached to fit the axle, that might also have some wear.

Are there occasional issues with the quality of spare parts from Omega? Yes certainly. Just like any other brand at this level and this is to be expected with any mass produced product. But the vast majority of parts I order from Omega (and I order 1000+ parts a year from Omega, and have something like $50k of parts inventory in my shop at any given time) are just fine and fit for purpose.

Cheers, Al

12. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Feb 13, 2016

Thanks, Al, for the calm, reasoned reply. :) In my general experience, for most things replacement parts from the original manufacturer are best, but clearly there are exceptions. Sometimes the very fact the original part has failed and needs replacing says something about its quality. And sometimes technology has advanced, and someone has come up with something more robust and reliable. Collectors of vintage bicycles (anyone here?) are often fanatical about having all original parts on their original vintage frames. But even they would concede that various makers have come up with better parts in the past 30 years.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 13, 2016

As I've said in another thread recently on Bestfit parts, I have no issues using generic parts of good quality, if the original parts are no longer available.

In a watch, parts fail for many reasons. In what I would call rare occasions it's poor design or poor materials (depending on the brand of course), but more often it's from external factors like lack of maintenance for wear parts like wheels, or damage from impacts for things like crystals.

Cheers, Al

mozartman likes this.
  14. Canuck Feb 13, 2016

I've heard there is a flourishing business in Taiwan manufactured replacement parts for aircraft. They're a whole lot cheaper. Some believe that, because they "look" the same, it's okay to use them! I'd like to think I am not going to end up 35,000 feet down in an ocean somewhere because someone changed to a Taiwan part to save $100.00. The topic is changing to a generic tension ring crystal rather than using a genuine part! Watch material suppliers for the most part will be able to supply many genuine Omega parts for some time. To use a generic crystal rather than a genuine one because they "look" the same? If you know what to look for, these crystals DO NOT look the same! And the difference makes a difference in whether the watch will run, or not! If a watchmaker insists it makes no difference, you need another watchmaker!

g-boac likes this.
  15. mr.snakeman Dec 9, 2020

Hi @mozartman, as a (amongst other things) retired master bike mechanic I can promise you that those who delve into the world of bike restoration are completely aware of the latest technological advances within the bicycle component industry. Happiness to those who want the latest and most advanced goodies on their bikes, but that´s not the point; he who restores WANTS those original time correct components on his bike, preferably in NOS condition unless the bike is to be used. I´m sure the same is true for many who watch collect/restore as well.

16. SkunkPrince Dec 9, 2020

My watchmaker has successfully used Sternkreuz crystals, installed one in a 2627 that was intended to be sold. Those aren't exactly cheap, either.