Forums Latest Members
  1. Hnansen Jan 2, 2017

Hello!

I have a question regarding a Seamaster that i just recently purchased.

Its about the crystal.
    As you can see, its almost hidden and you can only see the top of it. Could this be due to the crystal? Perhaps it have kind of a dome effect that covers a bit of the inscription up? Or is it something to worry about?

Thanks in advance!

Edited Jan 10, 2017
  2. Buck2466 Jan 2, 2017

Probably a non Omega crystal changed out at a service in the past.

3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 2, 2017

The crystal may not be Omega. Does it have the omega in the center?. The steel tension ring is covering the Swiss Made. It is not a distortion of the crystal. Hard to say, but I have seen this quite a few times.

4. Hnansen Jan 2, 2017

Thanks for the answer!
    The crystal is not Omega, no. I bought the watch from a watchmaker who just serviced it, so i assume its a new crystal.

@kingsrider
    That does not sound to good that the steel tension ring is covering it. Does it means that its touching the dial, and could perhaps damage it?

5. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 2, 2017

I suppose that is possible, but honestly, I don't know. Easy fix. Track down a correct Omega crystal. Start with Cousinsuk.com. (cheapest source)
    and have it installed. I think Omega Hesalite crystals enhance the watch greatly. They have a softness and a shape that is unmatched by after market crystals.

6. Hnansen Jan 2, 2017

Thanks again, @kingsrider. I will try to source one down.

I actually found a photo of the watch without the crystal that i got the seller. I think its from before the service.
    It looks like there is quite a bit of dirt at the edge of the watch. If the original Omega crystals have a different tension ring or placement of crystal, would that dirt show on the dial, when the original crystal is installed?

7. Davidt Jan 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure these crystals are still available. My watch maker put a new Omega one on mine a month or so ago.

8. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 2, 2017

I don't think that is dirt. I think that is a wear ring from the original tension ring. If I am right then you have a very good point about possible wear to the T Swiss Made T. Notice the wear mark is below the lettering, so you will be alright when the correct crystal and ring are installed.

9. Hnansen Jan 2, 2017

So a tension ring is actually attached on the dial itself?
    Is it perhaps possible to see a picture of a tension ring on the watch without the crystal?

Hopefully, the tension ring that is on now have not damaged the dial, if its indeed in a different place then what an original Omega crystal would have been..

10. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 2, 2017

11. Hnansen Jan 2, 2017

I see.
    I can't really figure out, whether the tension ring is therefore actually pressed down or touching the dial?

12. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 2, 2017

Think of the ring and the crystal as one piece, pressed snugly into place. In the video he removes the crystal (with ring in already in place) and immediately places the crystal on the case for pressing.
    I checked cousinsuk.com they have your crystal. Omega Crystal PZ5005 (steel ring) 26.96 GBP + shipping

13. Hnansen Jan 2, 2017

So perhaps the whole crystal is a wrong size?
    Sorry for the many questions, but i am still a newbie into this! ;)

Thanks a lot! But i think that i should have it checked out, whether or not the crystal/tension ring that is on now have damaged the dial, before i purchase an original omega crystal?
    I mean, if the tension ring has been pressed down on a wrong place on the dial, if may have made som marks, that become visible then i install the omega crystal?

14. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 2, 2017

Watch the tutorial again. It is very simple. The watchmaker is working with a black tension ring for the crystal he is replacing. I have changed crystals on a few of my watches now and the hardest thing is returning the microscopic screws (2) that hold the movement in place.
    If the current crystal was just replaced the watch is fine.

Hnansen likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 2, 2017

Omega is far cheaper actually!

Yes, the tension ring will touch the dial in most cases. In a case like this one where the movements is installed from the back of the watch, the crystal is pressed in when the movement is not in the case. So the crystal really isn't press down onto the dial in the way you are imagining - the movement with the dial is laid into the case (gently) and then the case clamps are installed with the case screws. Unless the watchmaker was very careless, this should not have damaged the case.

Not necessarily. The tension ring inside a particular crystal can vary in width. So a crystal that can fit into the case can have a narrow tension ring, or a wide one, and the crystal is still the right size. Note that Omega tension rings are often specially shaped with a step on the back side, so using the correct one is important.

The case screws are the big ones mate! ;) And please don't handle the movement with bare hands like this guy does...he makes me cringe every time I watch any of his videos...::facepalm1::

Cheers, Al

Hnansen and kingsrider like this.
  16. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 2, 2017

I wish I had an account. Is it possible for the layman to get one?

17. Hnansen Jan 2, 2017

Thanks for your answers, both of you! Thats a good way to learn!

@Archer What would you reckon is the problem here, as to why the Swiss Made inscription is not 100% visible? Too small a tension ring? Or is there just difference in how the text are placed? I have seem several almost identical refs and models where the text is fully visible.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 2, 2017

No...you need to be a watchmaker.

I suspect if you have the right crystal installed it will be better.

19. Hnansen Jan 3, 2017

@Archer
    Thanks again, Archer!
    I have talked to a local watchmaker and it will cost me around 110 usd for an original glass to be placed in and 40 usd for an generic glass, and take about a weeks time. I live in Denmark btw, where the prices for anything you need done to your watched are quite high compared to a lot of other countries.

I explained him the problem with the tension ring blocking the view of the Swiss Made print, but he told me that he couldn't guarantee that the original or the generic would not cover it in the same way.

He also told me that the tension ring won't damage the dial, just because its placed in a slightly different placement - do you reckon that to be true?
    I am not sure what to do. Its quite a lot of money, if it won't fix the problem. And if its indeed the case, that the way the tension ring and glass is placed now can't harm the dial, then its perhaps not worth having done? The crystal that is on now is in flawless condition.