Forums Latest Members
  1. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 16, 2013

I have a Seamaster Automatic with a 2576 case that has an incorrect crown
    on it. I bought the proper NOS clover replacement for it. Can someone give me
    instruction on how to swap out the crown?
    Thanks John
    $(KGrHqR,!m!E-rGnGg8LBP3)8D7j,w~~60_12.JPG

2. chiko7734 Feb 16, 2013

Sorry, I don't really know how to do it, but your certainly braver than me!

3. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 16, 2013

When I got it, it was running about 70 seconds fast in 24 hours. I read up on how to regulate
    by adjusting the screw on the swan's neck. Now it's 3 seconds fast in 24 hours. So now
    I have new found Bravery! If it's not too intense and someone can walk me through it, I'd like
    to try doing it myself.

hoipolloi likes this.
  4. AJDay Feb 16, 2013

There will be a screw on the movement that holds the stem in (looks like it's the screw just below and to the right of the stem in your picture). You don't want to remove the screw completely, but loosen it just enough to remove the crown and stem. The crown will unscrew from the stem, holding the stem in a vice or with a set of pliers, but it is probably on there tight...

Definitely want to have the right tools, especially a good set of screwdrivers. Less risky once you get the stem out (can easily replace the stem if you mess it up), but you don't want to strip the screw head in the movement or have trouble getting it back in if you take it all the way out.

My advice in general would be to start tinkering with cheaper movements (I started by ruining common Hamilton and Bulova movements)

Either way, good luck!

5. ulackfocus Feb 16, 2013

How to replace a crown:

1) put watch on wrist or in pocket

2) drive to watchmaker's shop

3) give to watchmaker and tell him to replace crown

4) retrieve & wear watch when done - don't forget to pay watchmaker

Voila!

wagudc, omegasaso12, felsby and 7 others like this.
  6. chiko7734 Feb 16, 2013

Haha, this would be my preferred solution ;)

7. AJDay Feb 16, 2013

you guys are no fun... I love working on my (less expensive) watches :p

wsfarrell and hoipolloi like this.
  8. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 16, 2013

9. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 16, 2013

achim
    Thanks for reply!

...press down the driver and unscrew only one turn
    Is that 1 FULL turn of the screw?

When the stem comes out, do I turn the screw back to tight
    until ready to reassemble?

Do they Locktite these crowns on the stem? How hard will it be to get
    off?

What is the procedure to reattach stem?

Thanks
    John

10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 16, 2013

one turn is when the slot is in the same position ; in fact that is only a half turn. reattach is the reverse; will only work when you press down the screw again and wiggle until the stem is in the correct position. if srewed in, pull and push the crown a few times and then tighten the screw again. the unscrewing of the crown from the stem needs some practice; never ever use force or bend the stem. hold the stem with your vice/pliers very close to the crown and unscrew.. otherwise the whole thing might snap. but even that is no big problem; stems are easy to order..... might take a while....

michael e likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 17, 2013

Note that when replacing a crown, in particular if the new crown is a different one from the crown already on the stem, you may need to replace the stem. The stem has to be fitted properly for length to the crown, and if this crown has deeper threads in it than the one on the watch now, the stem may be too short. This will result in the stem not seating properly, and it won't go into the manual winding position, and may pull out of the watch easily.

This problem can even happen when changing like for like crowns, just from manufacturing variances in the threads in the crown. Sometimes the opposite is true, and the stem ends up a bit long with the new crown, and needs to be trimmed - if so measure twice, cut once...

If you unscrew the setting lever screw too far, the hands and dial will have to be removed to reset the entire setting mechanism. Also don't force the stem back in, because if you accidentally pop the yoke out of the slot in the sliding pinion, again the hands and dial will have to come off to reset it.

It's a very simple job for a watchmaker, but it can have some pitfalls for those who don't do this work every day.

Cheers, Al

michael e, felsby, rogart and 2 others like this.
  12. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 17, 2013

Thanks Al, my bravery is starting to wane. ha

13. AJDay Feb 17, 2013

Do you have basic tools (screwdrivers, tweezers, movement holder, etc)? If so, you should pick up a cheap movement off of ebay (like Hamilton, Bulova, Elgin), preferably one that has a good balance or is even running already, and see if you can take it apart and put it back together again... You will learn a lot just by seeing how it all goes together.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 17, 2013

Sorry not trying to put you off doing it yourself, just trying to point out some of the common pitfalls. If you try it and it goes well that's good. If not and you need the help of a watchmaker it's not a big deal to fix the issues I've pointed out, so it's probably worth a try.

Cheers, Al

15. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 17, 2013

Al
    I appreciate your tips, and your spending the time to try and explain it to me.
    Same with AJDay, achim and others that chimed in. I guess I thought it might be easier.
    Maybe AJDay is right, I've thought about buying a junk dial, handset and movement
    off eBay to mess around with and learn how things work. Seriously, thanks for the advice!

John

16. MKelley Feb 17, 2013

Mine too!:thumbsup:

17. righttime Nov 12, 2015

For the sake of accuracy and future attempts to change a crown. There is actually a button (not a screw) see photo, that you depress carefully with a small pointy object and pull the crown/stem out with your other hand. Then, holding the stem with a needle nose pliers on the flats of the stem (not the threads), unscrew the crown and replace with the new crown. Take your time, the stem threads can be difficult trying to start the new crown on the stem. Re- installation of the crown/stem is the reverse procedure, depress the button and gently slide the assy into place. It make take a slight turn one way or the other to seat the stem, making sure it is in the original position against the case. Release the button and test (push/pull set hands) to be sure it assembled correctly. If the new crown is slightly off size it won't fit perfectly and this may require a new stem of the correct length or filing down the threads if you have the tools/skill, or a trip to a watchmaker.

503 movmt a.jpg
    Marty McDawg likes this.
  18. the future Nov 12, 2015

The OP's movement does in fact have a screw, not a button. Considering this was posted in February 2013, I hope he has taken care of it by now, one way or the other.

Giff2577 likes this.
  19. abrod520 Nov 12, 2015

This is an old thread that was revived after nearly 3 years - the OP's issue has probably been long since resolved!

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 12, 2015

Reviving a nearly 3 year old thread to "correct" good information with bad information gets three of these...

::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::

ulackfocus, Giff2577, Tritium and 2 others like this.