Forums Latest Members
  1. pre-mastered Nov 9, 2014

Dear Omega experts. No I don't need any advice related to the "crown"-brand, in this case I would have chosen the other forum "around the corner". However I need real crown gasket advice.

Is there any technical diagram of the new Aqua Terra crown gasket mechanism around? I would wonder if the crown stem or even the movement parts of my AT got moist after I accidentially washed my watch under flowing gap water with the crown only half screwed.

Any advice is appreciated!

PM

2. alam Nov 10, 2014

I'm not an expert on crown designs but assuming your watch was exposed to running water while let’s say washing your hands or while wearing on a heavy pour down rainy day, then I don’t think you have anything to worry about – I believe crown designs in modern watches have more than one gasket that would prevent water intrusion in these scenarios – now, it will be a different outcome if diving below 10 meters with an unscrewed crown. I’m sure a watchmaker like Al will give you a more expert response.

3. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 10, 2014

Bellows from Miami.....

AAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! @Archer

4. Nesbit Nesbit's Watch Service, Seattle Nov 10, 2014

Your Aqua Terra should not only have a gasket in the crown but also a gasket on the case tube. It would depend on what condition your gaskets are in as to how well they will hold up. If you want to see whether you have any moisture in the watch, I would recommend hitting it with warm air from a hairdryer for a few minutes to see if any condensation appears. Not necessarily how we would tell but it may give you an indication. Good luck-

Taddyangle likes this.
  5. pre-mastered Nov 11, 2014

Thanks for your replies so far, I appreciate it.

What I know: Yes, my AT has a gasket in the crown, but this gasket will let water in while the crown is not tight, although the water won't pass the second gasket in the tube.

What I don't know: The crown stem is not made of oxidation-free iron, it can rust. Therfore watches with screwed crowns are prone to suffer from rusted crown stems quite soon. But I am not sure, if this information about the oxidation-free iron is true, I got it from a watchmaker. Might be untrue.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 11, 2014

If you have concerns, take the watch to a watchmaker who can open it up and check everything for you. Likely everything is fine, but no one here can assure of that (my crystal ball needs polishing so it's not working as it used to ;)). Someone needs to look at the watch in person to allay your fears.

Cheers, Al