Forums Latest Members
  1. Engee Aug 30, 2020

2. Dan S Aug 30, 2020

They already developed an in-house caliber and have been selling watches that use it for a couple of years now. I feel like at some point the company should be able to stand on their own feet, this just feels greedy to me.

The campaign itself also seems incredibly vague for an established company, "give us money to develop these new calibers (even though there's no real explanation about why the new calibers are needed) and we will give you an unspecified discount on the initial run of watches (of which there are no sketches)".

3. Engee Aug 30, 2020

In fact they’ve already done the work. The funding is to recoup development costs. It may be that their business model means that cash flow is a challenge. Lots of up front R&D leaving them without much cash for production, but if so, they need new management because that’s a hell of a risk to take on.

Maybe they think this is a better way to raise capital than going to the market?

Most likely, though, as with a great many crowdfunding campaigns, this is nothing to do with raising capital, and is purely about raising excitement.

LesXL, ZIELSZIEK and Dan S like this.
  4. ZIELSZIEK Aug 30, 2020

I don't know exactly why they are doing this but what I want to say is Kudos to Yema for the way they presented it.

It's a refreshing breeze compared to other kickstarters.

Dan S and Engee like this.
  5. LesXL Aug 30, 2020

I received the email this week from them (as I own the Superman with the in-house movement), and indeed I found the campaign a bit vague.

As you said, I understand the goal is to get a discount on the launch of a new watch with the new in-house GMT movement.

But I agree that part is to build a buzz (mainly with the brand base, hopefully attract new ones) and get some money rather than just have a launch marketing campaign.

Engee likes this.
  6. Engee Aug 30, 2020

If the discount is attractive enough and they achieve a lot of early sales, possibly even selling out of the first run, it’ll be worthwhile marketing for them.

LesXL likes this.
  7. abrod520 Aug 30, 2020

I think it's also a decent way to gauge interest, in order to forecast how many units to produce. A small brand like Yema trying to get on its feet may not have as much capability to withstand large numbers of watches sitting unsold, but it seems like they'd rather produce enough to meet demand rather than limit everything.

JwRosenthal, Engee and LesXL like this.
  8. LesXL Aug 30, 2020

I agree, right now it is just wind :) ... Let see what they have to propose. Would it be an existing watch model GMT version, or a new design? That is also part of the question for me.

I do like their Navygraf I must say

Engee likes this.
  9. Engee Aug 30, 2020

I like their watches too. Their vintage models do pretty well too. I noticed a fairly unexciting jump-hour go for over £500 on eBay in the last couple of days. I was surprised at the level of interest in it.

LesXL likes this.
  10. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Aug 30, 2020

I (and several other OF members) bought the Yema bronze via their kickstarter project. Seemed to be very successful so they're hoping to piggyback on that success. That being said, I have no interest in this one.

Engee likes this.
  11. LesXL Aug 30, 2020

Their new watch is the Flygraf, and it would make sense to make it GMT

Engee likes this.
  12. tikkathree Aug 30, 2020

This lack of information was a turn-off for me. Say what you like about watches through kickstarter, you at least get renderings to whet your appetite.

A few years back I got drawn into crowdfunding a remanufacture of some classic camera lenses by Meyer one through indiegogo, the second through kickstarter. The whole thing was either a total disaster or a scam from the get-go and I'm out by a four figure sum. I can't say why but I found myself remembering that very unhappy experience today. I know that Yema are trading and selling watches so I'm sure my wariness is completely misplaced.

Schmedsc, Dan S and LesXL like this.
  13. LesXL Aug 30, 2020

I hear you... I think it is to get some low hanging fruits on the new watch but mainly a marketing move

tikkathree likes this.