Forums Latest Members

Crowdfunded microbrands? What do you think?

1. b-16707 Mar 2, 2017

Im always curious as to what luxury watch fans think about these crowdfunded microbrands. Namely Marloe. I've personally been a fan so far of what Marloe is doing with their designs. In my opinon they are killing it in the design department compared to all the other money-grab-crowdfunded-china-rebranded-another-rolex-sub-or-daniel-wellington watches out there. Feels like they actually put some decent thought into their watches.

Their latest Lomond look pretty incredible at least looks-wise. Lots of speedy cues for sure. Plastic crystal too.This one might just complement my speedy nicely...that is, until i can get my hands on a speedy '57.

What do you guys think? General thoughts? Would you back it? the first 100 went in about 3 minutes, the campaign was fully funded in 25min, must be some fans here too no?

http://wornandwound.com/review/hands-marloe-watch-company-lomond-chronoscope/

[​IMG]

Edited Mar 2, 2017
    Badwolf and Maganator like this.
  2. Badwolf Mar 2, 2017

I came across them recently whilst looking for another brand, I was very impressed with this particular design. It's always difficult to spend on a new brand when there are plenty of other watches on my want list, the Lomond is very tempting though.

Thanks for posting the review.

b-16707 likes this.
  3. Maganator Mar 2, 2017

I think it is a nice looking watch and worth a punt at the price point. I have never bought from Kickstarter before but it would not put me off.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 2, 2017

When they look good and don't go nuts on the price they are ok. 350 for a cheap Chinese movements not bad in this case.

5. CrisROSE Mar 2, 2017

My experience of Kickstarter is that you should let others fund it, wait until they've all had theirs sent out, read their reviews to see if it's half as good as the KS claimed it would be (half the time, it's not) then buy one direct if it still seems good.

There are a thousand (literally) watches on KS and most of them are pure cookie-cutter fashion watch dross sadly.

STANDY and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  6. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Mar 2, 2017

What a coincidence this is being brought up! Only a few hours ago, Fratello Watches (RJ) posted an announcement of a third Lebois & Co watch to be funded through KS. I would consider this company to be a microbrand as well as Marloe. And honestly, I quite like the design of the Lebois, the finishing looks really good and the price seems competitive.

The useful links
    - KS: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leboisandco/lebois-and-co-avantgarde-date-3rd-re-launch-editio
    - Fratello: https://www.fratellowatches.com/lebois-co-avantgarde-date-3rd-re-launch-edition/

Curious to read what others think of these!

Kind Regards,

Sander

7. tyrantlizardrex Mar 2, 2017

It shows there is a market for sub-luxury priced watches... but we all knew that right? That's why so many of us buy vintage, and why Swatch and Casio sell so many units. ;)

Larry S likes this.
  8. b-16707 Mar 2, 2017

Marloe already has a reputation given their successful Cherwell design (their first watch). The chinese movement it uses is tried and true. So overall a good bet to back them right away. I would be leery of the rest of the KS ones for sure like you said.

Lebois & Co looks like they have an unique piece there also. However I would never back something at that price on KS. If, on the rare chance the KS fails, you probably wont be getting that $1k back. Ive had that happen on a $250 backing before. Never got that cash back.

9. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 2, 2017

Micro brands are gateway to Speedmasters.

Use to own a couple of Boschette watches. I thought they were good value. However ended up selling them cause I fell for the modern Ploprof.

dialstatic and duc like this.
  10. Edantony Mar 2, 2017

That white one looks kind of like an alaska project.
    I backed up REDUX's COURG watch last year and really liked the watch. I also liked the fact the guy behind the project gave constant updates on production / design issues and decisions. It was a nice titanium automatic watch for $200 with a decent movement. Travelled the world with it.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 2, 2017

I like the fact that these folks are out there. Its good for mechanical watches as these are gateway for folks to move up. Way better than overpriced fashion watches. Some are interesting, some are stupid but so are many mainstream watches.

12. Lukeeesteve Mar 2, 2017

Don't expect to make any money off it and you should be fine.

On the other hand, some of these watches are said to come off the same line as fake/replica watches....

This one looks good to me
    image.jpg

13. adi4 Mar 2, 2017

I think some of them are comping up with interesting designs, however I'll echo what others have said in saying that I can usually find a better way to spend that money on vintage. Anything above $400-500 seems risky to me though unless it's an established outfit, although in that case it leaves me wondering why they haven't found other sources of funding by now.

14. trackpad Mar 3, 2017

@tyrantlizardrex This has to be one of the hottest sub-$100,000 kickstarters.

gostang9, LouS, adi4 and 3 others like this.
  15. tyrantlizardrex Mar 3, 2017

I just did a tiny vomit in my own mouth.

16. kippyk Mar 3, 2017

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 3, 2017

Wouldn't go the kickstart because there is so many micro-brands already, that have past the test of time and are at the same price point or a bit more.

Look at Magrette ( great bang for buck and a great watch )
    image.jpeg

http://www.magrette.com/the-timepieces.php

Brendon and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 3, 2017

You know, this one caught my eye too, until the "Bicompax." What noobish arse-hattery is this? My watch advertises that I don't know the proper meaning of "Compax"?

As for Manuel, I assume I get to meet him later if I help fund the watch....

19. Atalien2005 Mar 3, 2017

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  20. b-16707 Mar 4, 2017

~44mm is huge! Design is not bad though.

I love these vintage-y chronos but this watchface is a bit too busy for me.