Forums Latest Members
  1. murph Oct 17, 2017

I am brand new at this. I want to start a collection for my 8yr old. Any thoughts? Looks good in picture. Is this a quality movement. What about the band? Is this hard to repair? Any ideas on the actual age of this. Looks like some sloppy engraving. Were these faked. Will it increase in value?

image 6 of 7
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Vintage Croton Chronograph Venus 170
    image 2 of 7
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

condition: good
    make / manufacturer: Croton
    model name / number: Venus 170

Selling a beautiful Vintage Croton Chronograph with a Venus 170 movement. It does NOT run. Would need to be serviced if you'd like to have it functional.

This watch was made in late 1930s early 1940s. 17 jewels. Made in Switzerland. Dials inside and in the back look great.

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 17, 2017

$900 is a lot for a brass cased non-runner in poor condition. I could be a simple fix, or it could be a money pit.

I suggest you go on a period of education about what style/brand of watch you want to start with.

Foo2rama and murph like this.
  3. murph Oct 17, 2017

Thanks I have not bought it yet. Listening in, I've only learned enough to be careful. He came down to $500 straight away. The dial and hands are nice if they are 60-80 years old.

4. kopykat Nov 4, 2017

It looks nice, but 500 might still be a bit too much. If the case was in stainless steel it would be a good deal. But "base metal" cases is always a budget indicator.

murph likes this.
  5. murph Nov 4, 2017

6. murph Nov 4, 2017

Thanks, I really like the dial. It will be a money pit at any price but I need a hobby.

7. jimmyd13 Nov 4, 2017

Just to give you a comparator, I have (in my projects drawer) a 1960s Chronographe Suisse in 18k gold with a similar dial and using the same movement. My project's on hold until a pusher appears. I paid about £200 for that watch.

murph and Foo2rama like this.
  8. murph Nov 4, 2017

9. murph Nov 4, 2017

Sounds like a good score. I my imagined offer on the Croton keeps dropping. My aim is towards a vintage Omega I can wear without worry but, I'm trying to keep an open mind.