Forums Latest Members

Crossing the US/Canada border with a new Omega

1. Yoshi.N Jan 7, 2018

Looking for opinions on crossing back into the US with a new watch. Threads i've read of ppl flying into the US suggest its not a big deal, is the same of true driving back in? What are the risks of not declaring? In a suv where the box/bag will be in plain sight am I running a stupid risk? Thanks!

2. ac106 Jan 7, 2018

I guess you don’t have a glove box, center console, seats, trunk, etc

3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 7, 2018

Don't put it in a plastic bag and hide it in the gas tank. That's the first place they check :whistling:

4. mikechi22 Jan 7, 2018

At the risk of sounding like a complete scofflaw, I’d have the watch on my wrist and pack the box in the suitcase, apart from the papers which I’d make sure were in a jumble with other docs in my briefcase. If they do search you for some reason, I’d just say the box comes along whenever we go on the road. Watch was a gift from last Christmas.

nlogax, Larry S and Nobel Prize like this.
  5. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jan 7, 2018

Why is illegal activity even being discussed? If you can afford the watch you should be able to afford the taxes.

propervinyl, Jwit, kkt and 7 others like this.
  6. Baz9614 Jan 7, 2018

Wear the watch back, and ship the boxes back to yourself.

Jwit, nonuffinkbloke, nlogax and 2 others like this.
  7. gostang9 Jan 7, 2018

We live on the border, both my wife and I work in the US and we cross very often. The CBP Officers will likely ask if you have anything to declare. They have every right to search your vehicle and possessions upon any suspicion. If you lie to them and are caught... well, wouldn’t be pretty. (At a minimum they will likely charge you the applicable taxes/duty and put a flag in your record making any(every?) future entry most difficult.

We also have Nexus/Global Entry and so have additional reasons why honesty is always the best policy.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 7, 2018

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 7, 2018

I haven’t bought and cross but I go back and forth to Toronto often and carry two or three watches and I’ve never had an issue. Not that I would although I think they do limit the amount of some items ( like Rolex). Either way the easiest thing is , ,as suggested, wear the watch and carry the case somewhere in your case. If asked say that’s how you roll. To be honest I’ve been asked at the border many times if I bought something and I always say yes, because it’s true. But I say it as: some basic clothing, or boots or a couple we just have each other a couple of gifts... or a bracelet etc.

They have never bothered beyond that. So if you say I got a couple of knick knacks you have a good chance they’ll give you a pass. If they don’t, you haven’t lied. They will just charge you.

10. sjg22 Jan 7, 2018

If you’re that concerned, mail back the box, wear the watch.

Or declare it.

I would declare it.

11. SaintMickey Jan 7, 2018

Is it that better of a deal up there? I know I can't buy cigars there due to taxes but never looked for watches, I go to YYZ and YUL 3 or 4 times each a year....:unsure:::confused2::::psy::

12. jetkins Jan 7, 2018

For what it's worth, my wife and I regularly bring home a dozen or more bottles of wine from our international trips. We always declare them, and the full value, and we have never once been required to pay any duty or been asked anything more than "is it for your own personal use?"

Obviously your mileage may vary, but I suspect that CBP border agents have better things to do with their time than inconvenience a genuine traveller and dig through online tables for the relevant duty rate, for the sake of a couple of hundred bucks of import duty.

propervinyl likes this.
  13. M'Bob Jan 8, 2018

Exactly. Declare the full value, and if they want to charge you duty, give the official $20 to look the other way.

14. Canuck Jan 8, 2018

Mailing the box back? I don’t know about that! Once the parcel reaches customs, regardless of which side of the border you are on, the danger is that the parcel will be xrayed, and possible opened. An empty watch box mailed to yourself from out of the country would almost certainly raise the eye brows of the customs officer. Has anyone actually had success mailing an empty box to themselves? I certainly would not try it.

mydeafcat, gostang9 and Paedipod like this.
  15. Paedipod Jan 8, 2018

been there....done that.....would not do it again.....lesson$ learned:whipped:

mydeafcat likes this.
  16. Canuck Jan 8, 2018

Sounds like you might have had the gendarmes visit you? I guess I am not surprised.

I bought an Omega Speedmaster from a private individual some years ago. It had been bought when he was in Germany, on his honeymoon. Watch was less that one year old. No box or papers!:D What does that tell you? The watch was a lemon, and he was unable to have it attended to by Omega, so he sold it- to me. It’s okay. I have always loved the watch, and after having Omega attend to it, at considerable expense, it is still one of my best performers, and I really enjoy it.

Any other sad stories from folks who have tried to beat the customs officials by mailing back an empty watch box?

17. R3D9 Jan 8, 2018

Just declare the item and pay the taxes/duties. I've read horror stories from others on a few of the Canadian watch forums.

If you're caught lying, enjoy being detained and searched for the next decade each and every time you cross the border. Border officials have elephant-like memories - otherwise know as computer records. It's just not worth it.

propervinyl likes this.
  18. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jan 8, 2018

Maybe something needs to be said. The OP will have no problems with Canadian customs. They do not care what you bring out of Canada, US customs does.

watch3s likes this.
  19. Canuck Jan 8, 2018

Having re-read his post, it seems to me to be clear that he was asking about crossing the border from Canada to the US. And what he could (might) expect from US customs. Probably much the same as might be expected from Canada customs when crossing the Canadian border from the US.

20. kkt Jan 8, 2018

::facepalm1::
    So you can get convicted of felony attempting to bribe an officer for not enough money, instead of infraction failure to declare or paying the pretty modest tax?