Forums Latest Members

crossing borders for repairs

1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 22, 2015

Hey all,

I'd be interested to hear of experiences with watches or even watch parts crossing borders for repairs.

If I send a watch over the border for repair, does the repairer pay any import tax? Should I expect to pay any upon the item's return? If so, is it applied to the value of the watch or of the repair? Are the customs forms marked with the value of the watch (for insurance purposes) or does it get marked as $0 value since it's not staying in the country?

Does it make a difference if coming/going to US vs Europe (originating in Canada)?

Feedback greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 22, 2015

I have experience shipping a Decca Mk IV phonograph cartridge to England for repair. One of the best phono cartridges in the world, by the way.

You mark your customs form with the real value (and insure it) and write on the form "for repair and return". This means no customs duty in either direction.

Mind you this was some years ago, so things might have changed, but not much. Marking "for repair" is the key.

Tom

oddboy likes this.
  3. chadpowe11 Dec 22, 2015

Have you tried Al for your repair sense your in Canada? Then again he has not been around so it might be a extremely long wait I have no idea, he just did my speedy couple months ago.

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 22, 2015

While Al is a mere hour and a bit drive away, I have been unsuccessful getting on the waiting list yet.

Although I'm still interested in the logistics of cross border shipping for repairs anyway as well.

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 22, 2015

I've sent stuff from Ausralia to USA and Canada repair. No use either way. I made sure I kept the outgoing proof of postage that I could show customs if needed. I actually checked with Australian customs beforehand and they confirmed it was fine, provided I had the necessary evidence

oddboy likes this.
  6. SeanO Dec 22, 2015

for us in Oz the magic moment is when you put $1k on the value of the import (even if it's a return). At that point Customs holds the package and you're then required to complete the customs declaration forms including paying any import tariff or fee. Even if you've only sent it overseas for a service. Customs can/may charge a fee for the value of the service as well as any increase in the value of the watch as a result of the service.

As Canberra says above, the outgoing proof of postage is a wallet saver.

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 22, 2015

Outgoing proof of purchase, as in shipping waybill?

8. SeanO Dec 22, 2015

Yep,

the registered post notice (outgoing) or fedex/dhl whatever should suffice to ensure you only pay for the value of the service.

(he says knowingly as he sends his watch back to Gallet in Georgia for the 3rd time this year to fix something they missed).

oddboy likes this.
  9. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 23, 2015

Why don't you try John Bouwman, he has a watchmaker on staff, as well as being a BHI certified watch/clockmaker himself.

He's in Burington.

Rob

10. Baz9614 Dec 23, 2015

@oddboy, I've used Charlie Squires of Squires watches in London Ont several times, and find him great to work with, very responsive. He serviced my Cal320 2278-3 last August and did a great job! He lives in Mexico over the winter, but should return in March. Typically turns the watch around within 10days depending on parts required. www.squireswatches.com
    I'll be taking my Seamaster 165.024 to him in March!

11. Baz9614 Dec 23, 2015

@oddboy also, there is another watchmaker in Port Credit (Mississauga) that seems reasonable, although I haven't used him yet, to comment first hand. I believe his shop is called Horology?

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 23, 2015

Thanks for all the tips about local watch makers guys!

Just a note that what I'm mainly interested in is the logistics of sending watches across borders for repairs. It may be a necessity at some point and I want to be prepared and not get screwed.

13. JohnSteed Dec 23, 2015

Hey J

In the UK....Check out watchguyuk's faq's on his website for what should be helpful info. STS may have info in their website or call them. I think if watch is marked for repairs there may not be any taxes. But I'm not an authority on that

You should probably ship via FedEx or similar courier and insure the watches properly. Parcel pro should allow for that now. HTH

oddboy likes this.