Forums Latest Members
  1. WatchVaultNYC Apr 16, 2018

So I woke up this morning to an "unauthorized transaction" claim on my Paypal account. I checked and it looks like a 3572.50 I sold was being disputed by the owner of the credit card.

Usually this means that the buyer changed his mind, and wanted to return for a refund. So I called him up (I had half a dozen phone calls from him requesting shipping status, as well as his phone number on his order form) to clear things up and figure out what his intentions were. After a long pause on the phone, the guy on the other end said "you have the wrong number"

Just to repeat, I have several calls from the guy from this number and the same number on his order form. So it's not like I was calling the wrong number. So this wasn't a case of a poor buyer at all. This was a case of someone trying to steal a watch.

I should be protected by Paypal for this case, especially if the issue is so clear cut. I'll provide updates.

To provide context, this happens to me once in about 2000 sales, or 0.05%

2. knvqn Apr 16, 2018

That's a pity :(. How does the perpetrator plan to obtain the watch? I thought PayPal would've a built-in feature that does not allow for the change of address without having to re-state the CC information or some similar safety feature?

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 16, 2018

Thank you for these updates. Most of us sell infrequently, and a heads up is great.
    Sounds like you had a professional con man, one who can look you in the eye and lie through his teeth

ikeo1, Cad290, kov and 8 others like this.
  4. adi4 Apr 16, 2018

I believe the person already has the watch and is now disputing the charge.

@WatchVaultNYC Hope it works out ok for you and PayPal can see through the lies.

5. cimo Apr 16, 2018

You're in luck. For a fake "Unauthorized transaction" paypal will have your back as long as there is signature on delivery.

If he filed a "not as described" claim instead, it would be good bye money and good bye watch. But you already knew that. Sorry for the headache, man. Been there.

kov, Larry S and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  6. MikeMan2727 Apr 16, 2018

This has always been one of the biggest flaws with PP and a common target for scammers. You can basically avoid the PP system by disputing with the credit card.

MikiJ and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  7. ostneb Apr 16, 2018

I am completely confused by PayPal sometimes. I recently bought an item on PayPal and after waiting over a month with no tracking number, I disputed the charge, and the seller sent me a tracking number for an item being sent to the United Arab Emirates. I clearly put and confirmed in my order on PayPal that my shipping address was the United States. After reviewing the details for a day, PayPal ruled against me...If this is PayPal's pro-seller stance then it bodes well for you!

8. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Apr 16, 2018

Good heavens! I feel very sorry for you chaps who have to navigate this financial minefield. I know it's the only way for you serious collectors or dealers, but it would worry the life out of me.:eek:

Any watch transactions I get involved in will take place in an orderly manner over a nice pint, in an quaint, old, English pub. When everyone is happy, It's up the road to the bank, money over the counter, buyer has his new watch in hand, a polite handshake, then we both 'fakk off home' with a cheery smile.:)

1434817_fc8bf353.jpg

Edited Apr 16, 2018
  9. larryganz The cable guy Apr 16, 2018

How does paypal rule against you if the order has your address on it, and the shipper send to a non-verified or confirmed address? I'd call my credit card company and report it as fraud.

MikiJ, WatchVaultNYC and sxl2004 like this.
  10. cimo Apr 16, 2018

Your place of business could be my vacation destination. A quaint English pub is just what the doctor ordered.

11. alam Apr 16, 2018

I'm just curious on the details above --how long did it take for you to ship the watch/provide tracking info once payment was credited to your account?

with a similar scenario? what was the outcome/resolution on these cases?

...and more curious about the outcome on this one... good luck!

12. gemstar Apr 16, 2018

I am pretty sure Paypal will cross examine the ip address in which the purchase took place and the login frequency. Unauthorized transaction dispute are not of a skilled scammer..They usually will use the not as described route. I'm sure you will prevail

13. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2018

The entire internet, including but not limited to PayPal / eBay, is the Wild West. It's only going to get a LOT worse before it gets better. The regular police don't want to be bothered with credit card fraud, leaving NOBODY to police the web on "small" transactions like this.

14. WatchVaultNYC Apr 16, 2018

4 calls and 1 CRM message within 45 minutes after payment. I suspect it was to redirect the package and thus make it an easier scam. I was not available to take the call as I was on a long-haul flight so my call center took a message.

Result was I won the prior cases. But unlike the others, this time there were multiple communications and then "wrong number" when I call back that same number.

Thanks!

15. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2018

Post the thief's information including phone number so we can all start crank calling them!

16. gostang9 Apr 16, 2018

It's at least nice to know the level of scamming is somewhat low in the 0.05% range. I cannot comprehend why some people opt for the crooked option in life rather than the straight-and-narrow like most of us. Wearing a stolen watch wouldn't give anywhere near the satisfaction of an earned watch...

17. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2018

Maybe to them it gives MORE satisfaction.

The more people that find out that there's little legal consquence to scamming like this, the more scams that will occur.

18. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2018

Edited Apr 16, 2018
    Riviera Paradise likes this.
  19. kkt Apr 16, 2018

Nice thought, but replacement phones are a small expense for a con artist.

20. adi4 Apr 16, 2018

I'm assuming most of these scammers don't have any interest in the watches themselves, and probably just turn around and sell them on craigslist or something.

nonuffinkbloke and efauser like this.