Forums Latest Members

Crazy Royal Oak ceramic watches (and other colorful variations)

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 4, 2023

Hi everyone,

For all of the hoopla over those watches, I never cared for the design of the AP Royal Oak, of course being completely out of my league made it even more remote.
    But as I was poking around the internet, I accidentally stumbled across this utterly insane and beautiful blue brushed ceramic version, and of course at 132K dollars it better be insanely beautiful.

I also like the 34mm white ceramic version. but at 52K or so, well, I’m not going to lose sleep over it.
    i’m surprised those appear to not have been discussed.

Here is some eye candy then. Those textures and finishes are just unbelievable.

Photo credits Hodinkee.
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/w...amic-ap-royal-oak-irl-and-heres-what-we-think

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/34mm-audemars-piguet-royal-oak-in-white-ceramic

IMG_0886.png IMG_0888.jpeg IMG_0890.png IMG_0889.jpeg IMG_0891.jpeg IMG_0893.jpeg IMG_0894.jpeg IMG_0895.jpeg IMG_0896.jpeg
  2. kohster Sep 4, 2023

I think I prefer the white version. The blue at least in photos (because the odds of my ever seeing these IRL are pretty much nil) looks kind of fake/plasticy almost

efauser, blufinz52, UWG and 1 other person like this.
  3. Watch my Whisky Sep 4, 2023

These are popular in Miami and Dubai.

blufinz52 and Syrte like this.
  4. Evitzee Sep 4, 2023

Had a Blue Side a few years ago, never could bond with the blue ceramic case, it had a plasticy look about it, just like the RO looks in the pictures.

watchyouwant likes this.
  5. NGO1 Sep 4, 2023

In their quest to court the ladies, AP introduced this psychedelic dial with Carolina Bucci. It commands the entire rainbow with minute movements of the wrist.. I believe it’s made out of silicon wafer. Case and bracelet is black ceramic. And of course, it’s 34mm, only for the ladies.

IMG_8846.jpeg
    Edited Sep 4, 2023
    nitediver, Scarecrow Boat and Syrte like this.
  6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 4, 2023

Beautiful, thanks for posting it :thumbsup:
    The Hodinkee says the blue one almost looks like a toy from afar, but they say when you have it in hand you can see the difference, and even in the close up pictures I find the quality of the finish dramatically different from plastic. It might even reconcile me with the idea of a Moonswatch…

PS I find this ladies version much more interesting and creative than Omega’s glitzy, diamond studded, mother of pearl dialed ladies watches.

Edited Sep 5, 2023
    noelekal and ahartfie like this.
  7. Makesbelieve Sep 5, 2023

I can't stop seeing dated pool tiling when looking at these 'tapisserie' dials... maybe that's the vibe they're going for, but it's definitely not for me.

IMG_5507.jpeg IMG_5508.jpeg
    TimeODanaos likes this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 5, 2023

Ha ha, but this is a very lovely vintage look!

Makesbelieve likes this.
  9. S.H. Sep 5, 2023

I've seen a white/metallic dial in the flesh, I was surprised how much it blinged; very shiny, and looked like a bad knock off to me (it was not). I prefer darker dials in this case.

10. NGO1 Sep 5, 2023

I’m impressed with APs dedication to their women base. The “Bucci” AP is just for the ladies. 34mm, that’s it. It’s a killer piece. It’s the best looking ceramic watch in their catalog, imho.

Recently, boutiques all over Asia refused selling 37mm (and smaller) to new male clients. They do this to reserve the smaller sizes for the ladies. Yep, they flat out refused male clients asking for 37mm. A bold move.

Women leading (new global CEO and North America CEO) and women focused going forward.

Syrte likes this.
  11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 5, 2023

That’s interesting but could also be read as an indication they’re not adapting or listening to their market. Unless you want to read it as yet another example of companies creating shortage deliberately.

here’s a nice picture I found on line (Forbes.com) with a good rendering of the reflections on black ceramic dial. Another unobtainable watch for the regular people though :rolleyes:

IMG_0900.jpeg
    Edited Sep 5, 2023
    Makesbelieve, Mods and NGO1 like this.
  12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 5, 2023

PS it looks stunning.

Might have to settle for one of these, though. :p

IMG_0909.jpeg IMG_0907.jpeg IMG_0910.png IMG_0908.jpeg
  13. cchen Sep 5, 2023

This is my favorite iteration of the ceramics and I'd totally rock it

Syrte likes this.
  14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 5, 2023

:thumbsup:

15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 5, 2023

Found more pictures, really gorgeous with the black screws- but Yikes, it’s a 95K watch, one could totally buy a house somewhere with that sum.

Okay gents. which color should I pick whenever I get around to the G Shock?:D

IMG_0913.png IMG_0914.jpeg IMG_0915.jpeg IMG_0916.jpeg
    Scarecrow Boat, NGO1 and Mods like this.
  16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 18, 2023

Another colorful and angular high end watch - except this one involves green washing:
    Nespresso and Hublot collab with ie 28% recycled aluminium nespresso on the case and a pathetically small quantity (4 to 5%) of coffee residue with rubber on the strap.
    I’m not sure making a few high end watches will compensate the damage of the Nespresso capsules.

Cool color, cool textures- still much more expensive than the G-shock at 25K.

IMG_1007.jpeg IMG_1006.png
    Larry S likes this.
  17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 18, 2023

The inventor of the Keurig cup is on record as regretting its invention. Won’t own either, ever. My wife and I had an Air BB in Madrid few years back, the grocery bag of empty Nespresso cups at the end of our stay was embarrassing.

Syrte likes this.
  18. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 18, 2023

Thread drift:
    the best tasting coffee IMHo is the one made using something like that first one below. (Just pour hot water and use a washable fabric filter)

Alternatively one can use French press.

And finally since coffee is like the second or third source of deforestation in the world, make sure you buy forest grown coffee. (And organic and fair trade while you’re at it).
    That’ll be much better than to think you’re recycling anything with a Hublot Nespresso watch case.

IMG_1008.jpeg IMG_1009.jpeg
    noelekal and pdxleaf like this.
  19. NGO1 Sep 18, 2023

AP and coffee? Yes please.

NGO06738.jpeg

Watch my Whisky and Syrte like this.
  20. kohster Sep 18, 2023

I like the dark blue.

Syrte likes this.