Forums Latest Members

Cracked dial Omega AT 8500 Master Co-axial

1. mandoris Oct 7, 2016

Hi all,
    I have an Omega AT 8500 Master Co-axial Chronometer. I bought it in an official Omega Boutique about a year ago. Recently I noticed that the dial has two crack-like lines at 10 o'clock and between 1-2 o'clock. Further the minute and hour hands are also slightly bent upwards. At the Boutique they said that these are not real cracks but the dial painting began to peel. Generally they do not have any idea why...
    The case and crystals are in mint/boutique condition and the movement is running with same accuracy as always.
    I wear the watch quiet rarely, my everyday watch is a Speedy.
    Of course the watch is still in its warranty period of 4 years. I am waiting for a new dial and they also promised that they can fix the hands as well.
    Do you have any idea about the reasons? Have you ever heard about cracks on modern Omegas?
    Thanks!

dial.jpg dial2.jpg dial3.jpg IMG_8597.JPG IMG_8598.JPG
  2. Scepticalist Oct 7, 2016

Probably a one-off that got past QC? I'm sure if it was common the forum would be full of threads on them.

3. Dannyomega Oct 7, 2016

just go to the OB and get repaired under warranty !

4. mandoris Oct 7, 2016

What about the bent hands? Why should a hand just bend one day?
    I cannot shoot a proper pic but both hands are slightly bent and they should be straight.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 7, 2016

Looks more like a scratch on the dial than just paint flaking. Some hands are designed with bends in them already, but bent down to follow the curve of a dial. If these are bent up, it's likely someone not installing the hands with correct division (spacing) and when the hand interfered with the marker they just bent them upwards instead of removing them and installing them correctly.

Bottom line - sloppy work (being kind)...

Cheers, Al

6. Pvt-Public Oct 7, 2016

Because nothing is absolutely perfect 100% of the time. And to expect that, is lunacy. :D