Forums Latest Members

Cousins uk non returns policy

1. Hattrick Jun 9, 2017

I was looking for a strap to wear my Seiko and finally decided on a rubber one from cousins uk .
    Arrived today, looking good, nice quality, the only problem is that it doesn't fit to tha tipe of lugs that i have on my Seiko.
    Contacted cousins for a swap photos attached , reply was
    "We are a business to business trade wholesale company.The strap you ordered does not fit your watch and is not linked to your case number on our website.
    We have a non returns policy on watch spare parts supplied correct to your order.
    Please take your watch to a trade professional and seek their assistance ."
    I am not sure what to do,
    Any recommendations?
    20170409_075829.jpg Screenshot_20170609-154119.png
    Thanks

2. Motman Jun 9, 2017

I always thought that if you bought something online (excluding some certain items) you were protected by the distance selling regulations. Look it up.

Hattrick likes this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 9, 2017

According to what I read, and having dealt with Cousins, my experience is that they follow the rules. https://www.gov.uk/online-and-distance-selling-for-businesses/online-selling
    There website is pretty clear about returns.

Hattrick likes this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 9, 2017

Curious as to what the detailed description said about fitment? Looks like a rater strange strap to me.

Hattrick likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 9, 2017

Just for some background...

Watch material suppliers sell to those in the profession primarily, and they are not really traditional retail sellers. I believe Cousins on-line selling platform has you check a box that you are in the trade or are a business (at least that's how I remember if, but it may have changed since) as part of opening an account with them and being able to order. Many watch material suppliers will not sell to the general public, and to a point I can understand why. The time spent answering questions about "will this fit my watch" or "is this part right for the movement" often takes up more time than the cost of the part, let alone the margin they are making on small, generally "one time only" or very infrequent sales made to collectors or to people who tinker at home. These places make their money from regular customers who purchase frequently and have large orders, not from small one part orders.

In the profession it is understood that it is your responsibility to order the parts that fit the watch or will meet your requirements, so you need to do the research to ensure that the part is the right one before you order. If you make a mistake, it's your loss. Usually returns are only allowed if the vendor ships the wrong part, or if the part is somehow damaged when it arrives. Some vendors have more liberal return policies, and will take back a part that you made an error on, but Cousins isn't one of those places.

Just so you know, Omega has the very same policy as Cousins - the only time a return is allowed is if they send the wrong part, or it is damaged. This is pretty standard in the industry.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but that's just the way it is.

Cheers, Al

Als 27, Mods, lando and 7 others like this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 9, 2017

What Al says above makes sense and does reflect Cousins policy, unfortunately Cousins also extend this screw you attitude to faulty or damaged parts. Getting them to accept a return under any circumstances is next to impossible, regardless of what distance selling regs may say. They argue that you signed away your consumer rights when you declared that you were a business when you signed up. I would love to see this tested in court as a faulty or damaged product is not acceptable in any sphere, trade or otherwise and I know plenty of trade suppliers with a more reasonable interpretation of customer service and possibly the law.

In short, you have no chance of getting them to accept a return on that. I have heard of regular customers sending faulty goods back by registered post and achieving success but I this case I doubt they would even entertain a conversation. When it goes right with them, they are a wonderful resource, when it very occasionally goes wrong they are shockingly bad.

Ironically they are currently trying to drum up support for their legal challenge to Swatch's restrictions on parts supply by painting themselves as the industry and watch enthusiasts champion, they have a member of their term spinning their actions to gain support on TZ but I and many others are not persuaded that they are the white knight that they would like to have us believe they are and this thread shows why.

Edited Jun 9, 2017
    Hattrick likes this.
  7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 9, 2017

If you use the Search By Case Number function for that model, it shows there aren't any matching straps available. That alone would have put me off but, add to it the fact that they don't accept returns, I would have looked elsewhere for a strap.

Hattrick likes this.
  8. Hattrick Jun 9, 2017

I do understand cousin's point of view. The are trying to protect their business by selling only bulk and only to businesses. But , i think I've spent around 300 GBP in about 4 months wich is not a lot but how hard can it be to replace a strap , me paying for transport ?
    I know a few members are selling stuff online and i ask ....how hard is it ?
    I would also like to know if i can fit the strap after removing the metal end part. There is space for a spring bar but a very thin one.
    Thank you
    $_1.JPG

Edited Jun 9, 2017
  9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 9, 2017

Their policy is no returns. If you disagree with this policy, don't buy from them.

10. Hattrick Jun 9, 2017

Fair enough, it's good to see that you read every shop's policy before you buy something.
    Cheers

11. jimmyd13 Jun 9, 2017

First up, a disclaimer: I am not familiar with Cousins' terms and conditions and don't really have the time to read them right now.

So, that said, the protections you're thinking of (in the UK) derive from the Consumer Protection Act 1987. As the title implies, these protections are for the consumer - they don't apply to transactions between businesses. If a business supplies a service or product to another business and there is no breach (ie. the supplier hasn't made a mistake in what they have supplied or those goods/services are of the standard expected) then there is no recourse for a mistake from the purchaser.

It's one of the reasons wholesalers can afford to sell things cheaper than retailers. In this kind of transaction, the onus is on you to make sure that you specify the product you want and if you order the wrong thing then the seller is under no obligation to provide you with a replacement. Now, some wholesalers may replace the item; others will replace it but charge a re-stocking fee; many more have a simple "no returns" policy.

Given the way that the internet has provided consumers with access to wholesalers, the onus is heavily on the purchaser to check the terms and conditions.

Sorry, but Cousins' position is correct and they might only replace the item as a goodwill gesture.

Hattrick and Edward53 like this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 9, 2017

Even if you could it would look horrible. Flat ends rounded case... assuming the bar location even remotely matches the distance.

Hattrick likes this.
  13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 9, 2017

Rather than being a smart-ass, may I suggest trying it yourself?

West Slope and Hattrick like this.
  14. Davidt Jun 9, 2017

They do make it clear on their website that it's for trade customers only, with no returns. You have to check a box to agree to this or something similar.

It's unfortunate it's not correct but that's the risk you take and you must've agreed to it in order to complete the purchase.

Hattrick likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 9, 2017

You paying the shipping back doesn't mean there is no cost to them - they have to open your package, figure out what the order was, make sure the strap is still like new, likely credit your card, physically put the strap back into stock (I assume it came in some form of packaging - if that's sealed it has to be redone), inventory systems adjusted to add it back in, then they start the process of filling your order all over again with the replacement strap. I don't know what their margins are on this strap, but the time spent doing this will likely eat up a good portion of whatever profit they made on the sale of the strap in the first place.

And just to put the purchases you have made in some sort of perspective in comparison to what someone in the business might order, in the last 4 months I have spent about $11,000 in parts orders with Swatch group alone (plus more from other vendors of course). I am just a one person shop and this year has been a light year for parts ordering compared to previous years, as I'm trying to use up some of my inventory of parts (or at least not add to it).

Chalk it up to a learning experience, and put the strap up for sale on eBay...

Cheers, Al

16. BenjaminT Jun 9, 2017

And be grateful that you have the possibility to order from them at all. Part suppliers in my country won't sell to anyone without providing a valid VAT registration number (identifing you as actual business) - to avoid exactly these troubles.
    Do your homework before and keep the loophole open for everyone else by not being a trouble maker.

17. Hattrick Jun 9, 2017

"I am not affiliated with cousins uk in any way"

18. BenjaminT Jun 9, 2017

I am of course not.
    Just would like to be able to order from them still in future, because... see above.
    They are the only place to supply you in Europe for a lot of things - except for ebay extorioners.

19. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 9, 2017

To quote some sections from Cousins Terms and Conditions which are available without registering via a link at the bottom of their homepage:-

10.2 Due to the nature of certain items they are sold on a no return, no refund basis. This policy is based on restrictions placed upon Cousins by the manufacturers. Examples include sealed or unsealed spare parts (including circuits, coils and movements), assortments / kits, books / catalogues and consumables (including items that are made of natural materials and / or of a hygienic nature) that are supplied correct to order. In exceptional circumstances damaged Spare parts may be repaired at additional cost to the customer at the discretion of Cousins

10.7 Goods not normally held in stock by Cousins or that are subject to special order from the manufacturer/supplier ordered by the trade Buyer may not be returned and no such order may be cancelled.

Caveat Emptor.

20. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 9, 2017

With respect, and bearing in mind I am no fan of Cousins, why did you order the wrong strap in the first place, their database is extensive and said that it wasn't suitable for your case yet you went ahead. While I have no truck with them sending out defective gear, if you misorder through false assumption then why exactly should Cousins make up for your error? Ebay should be your new friend.