Countries from which you won't buy a watch.

Watching some Youtube videos and reading some watch sites, I hear fairly regularly people saying "I won't buy a watch from X Y Z countries".

Italy seems to crop up fairly regularly in this regard.

I presume that this must be crime related, but can anyone offer specifics?

As usual, buy the seller. The Italian post office doesn’t have the best reputation for reliability, but I bought a watch from Croatia that took 6 weeks to arrive - worth the wait though. Peru, Argentina and Brazil have a reputation for scams, although I’ve picked up some nice watches from a Brazilian seller online. There are good bargains to be had from reputable sellers in all of these countries, but as always, knowledge and patience are your best friends when purchasing vintage watches from sellers you don't know.
Edited:

Do your research and buy the seller .... a good deal with a good person is a good deal. Of course custom charges / taxes and transport risk is a consideration.
Edited:

The postal service in Italy is not the best of Europe....

Nothing agains italians by the way... love the country...

It could be a great excuse to visit more often! I too love the country and am learning to speak Italian. I tried negotiating for a JLC a few weeks ago, in Italian. I managed to buy 40kg of pasta flour and a signed photo of the Pope. 😉

I could retire there tomorrow. My favorite spot is the town of Spoletto in Umbria, but there are dozens of small towns in rural Italy that are just as nice. Wonderful country to visit. History, art, architecture, food. They have it all. Just avoid some of the vintage watch dealers in Rome and Florence. 😉
spoleto-1-crop.jpg
b01aad6be09ed64d0626ce89ec3e3cae.jpg
Edited:

It is beautiful. I have always found the people great too, if a little "furbo".

I could retire there tomorrow. My favorite spot is the town of Spoletto in Umbria, but there are dozens of small towns in rural Italy that are just as nice. Wonderful country to visit. History, art, architecture, food. They have it all. Just avoid some of the vintage watch dealers in Rome and Florence. 😉
spoleto-1-crop.jpg
b01aad6be09ed64d0626ce89ec3e3cae.jpg

You cant say Umbria without going UMmmm..... Lovely / stunning place / great walking, eating and drinking :0)

Italy is the epicenter of collecting. If you know the right people there are gems sitting in safes waiting to be discovered. Buy the seller.

There are some very good vintage watches in Italy and I have bought a few from there. Also sold a couple to Italian collectors. I'm always nervous about shipping since people complain about it, but I've had no trouble to date. Some eastern European countries seem to have a lot of scams, but I've also successfully bought from there with sufficient due diligence.

Yes. It's beautiful. Although we have a house in France we often go to Liguria. The Italian Riviera is fantastic. The lakes, like lago maggiore, are great as well. But the whole of Italy is of course great.

Anyway, most of my watches I buy in Italy. I had some problems with postal service but it always came out right. Fortune favours the brave...

Picture of me (with the rolex 14060) having dinner in Cannobio...

There are some very good vintage watches in Italy and I have bought a few from there. Also sold a couple to Italian collectors. I'm always nervous about shipping since people complain about it, but I've had no trouble to date. Some eastern European countries seem to have a lot of scams, but I've also successfully bought from there with sufficient due diligence.
Agreed on Eastern Europe. Picked up a very nice Seamaster from Croatia, although it took six weeks to make it to the US. I’m certainly not knocking Italy. There are great vintage watch buys to be found in most countries if you know what you’re looking for. I’ve been in a few shops in Rome and Florence where I think it would be fair to say that not all of the inventory was as represented, but of course that happens everywhere. As one might expect, most of that stuff occurs in the heavily touristed areas and it’s not limited to just watches. Leather goods is another area where you really have to be careful, especially in Florence.
Edited:

We once had some guy who was a lawyer in Italy threatening us and making demands because another member had said some Italian watch dealers were dishonest and that the postal service was unreliable and full of crooks. The guy who posted it was, himself Italian.

Agreed on Eastern Europe. Picked up a very nice Seamaster from Croatia

What kind of Seamaster did you pick up from Croatia? Btw, we are from SE Europe, people here get mad when you put them in Eastern Europe 😗

What kind of Seamaster did you pick up from Croatia? Btw, we are from SE Europe, people here get mad when you put them in Eastern Europe 😗
A nice 14389 from 1959. But the wait was brutal. 😀
C74E8610-F612-4D18-8D13-982261266DE1.jpeg

If you rely on your knowledge, the folks here, and are willing to trust your gut on when to walk away, there really aren't any places I wouldn't buy a watch from. That said, there are certainly some hot beds for fakes that I'd be extra wary of, India for example.

Before settling in Italy please read "Gomorrah" by Roberto Saviano.

We once had some guy who was a lawyer in Italy threatening us and making demands because another member had said some Italian watch dealers were dishonest and that the postal service was unreliable and full of crooks. The guy who posted it was, himself Italian.
Some American watch dealers are dishonest, and the US postal service is run by incompetent morons….who wants to try and litigate against that statement?

I’ve purchased from Italy several times. Some great off-brand divers from there (do your homework, lots of Franken watches too) and Italy was the Mecca of Wyler/vetta so those who collect Wylers- we known.
Have also purchase many from Mexico and South America- never had an issue. I have noticed that the Italian and South American sellers all used Fed-ex or DHL- I assume to avoid their local postal systems.