Forums Latest Members
  1. AIM Aug 20, 2013

Dear forum members, I have had a watch from my dad, collecting dust in a cabin . I do not know much about it but lackily found this forum in where appears to be a related knowledge. From behind the watch only number 633 was found, ST 145,022 in the label. It has never been used and stored in dark/dry place, occosianally activated and seems to tick like a clock. I would appreciate any comments.
    thanks in advance
    kello.jpg kello2.jpg

2. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Aug 20, 2013

Looks like an early 80's Speedy to me or very late 70's

3. simon Aug 20, 2013

holy shittttttttt. DIBBBBBBBSSSSSSS

cookieandmilk likes this.
  4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 20, 2013

It is the famous Speedmaster Professional moonwatch, with caliber 861 manual winding. Looks like the watch in very mint condition albeit some surface rust.
    Please bring it to a watchmaker for service, cleaning and oiling before you use it again.
    The 633 is endlink number of the bracelet, the serial number of the watch is inside movement and reference of the watch is ST 145.022. You will find it stamped inside case back.
    What do you plan to do with the watch?

5. cvalue13 Aug 20, 2013

I'd add: don't take it to just any 'ole watchmaker for servicing or cleaning!!! Let the folks on this forum tell you who can do the watch properly without molesting it.

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 20, 2013

+1 .... totally agree on that.

7. Hijak Aug 20, 2013

+2 on that:thumbsup: ...this is quite a collectible piece and doing the wrong thing in regards to servicing/restoring could kill the value. The real value here is that this was your dads watch, an incredible heirloom, something to remember him by!:cool:

cvalue13 likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Aug 20, 2013

I love to see watches with the caseback snot still intact.

9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 20, 2013

It's worth a fortune, probably needs to auction To realise the highest price. The downside is that you need some decent eBay feedback to get the price. Other auction houses will take a higher commission, but will also take a lot of hassle and chase payment

Of course, I, and many others, would love to buy it.

Personally I would pay more if you didn't service it.

I am strange like that.

10. AIM Aug 21, 2013

Dear members, thank you all for your comments and information.

My father had took it once during the storing time to some sort of "preventive maintenance", I recall he told, and winded it occosionally as he was instructed. Now it had been some years just standing. I am not willing to put it on e-bay to look for the highest price but rather would be ready to release it for a collector who would continue storing it with respect. May sound silly but so it is. I will think about it.

Thank you again.

11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 21, 2013

You wouldn't find more avid and passionate vintage Speedy Pro collectors than members in here.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 21, 2013

Dare say you have a few private messages already:whistling:

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 21, 2013

Anything in the paperwork mentioning the year? Adding what specific year it was might actually increase the value as well, especially if it happens to be some collector's birth year.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  14. richardew Aug 21, 2013

Although your watch is somewhat unique in that it hasn't been worn, it isn't in mint condition due to the corrosion on the case and bracelet. It is a "post moon" speedmaster, and they haven't changed significantly since ~1970. Yours isn't one of the rarer, more collectable models. It is essentially the same as those produced in the '70s, '80s, 90's, 2000s. The fact that it has some provenance along with box and papers adds some value but it is still competing with many of the similar models. You're not going to sell it and retire on the proceeds. It is however priceless as a family heirloom. There's a '69 premoon with papers on ebay and it has no bids or offers @$3600.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-SPEED...041302604?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item20d6b77c4cPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Here's another from 1970, post moon, with box and warranty book sitting at $3350 with no bids and 1 offer.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Speed...007201737?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item20d4af25c9Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

15. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 21, 2013

I'd estimate between $2300 and $3000 depending on the direction of the wind and the eagerness of the buyer.

16. toddmp Aug 21, 2013

Even though I don't have the need for it, just wanted to say thank you for bringing it to the table here. you will get top dollar from the wonderful guys on this forum.

17. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 21, 2013

If you put together an ad in the Watches For Sale section, you will also get the audience who tracks watchrecon.com. Read some ads and decide what you want to say (especially Terms like shipping restrictions if any, interest in trades if any, offer accepted if applicable, etc).

Good luck with the sale if that's where it's headed, and thank you for sharing pictures and the story!

18. AIM Aug 22, 2013

Thank you all for your kind comments.

There was no papers found unfortunately, year should be 1982 but the pack cover is signet by a small dot of red paint that seem unbroken (hardly visible in picture), so the serial will remain unknown. Rust is actually dust, a red powder from the case, a gentle blow of air would restore the original condition. Thanks also for the pre-valuation, it seems I'll put it pack into a dark cabin, I am not a watch collector though so if one day one with a good offer will appear, I will consider it.

pleasant day and rest of the week to each of you.