Forums Latest Members

Could you help me to identify this watch? (1962 or before)

1. Euric Jul 3, 2018

Dear watchlovers,

I recieved an Omega watch from my grandmother's brother and I would like to discover which model is it. Maybe someone can help me, I would be very grateful. He recieved the watch on 1962, but it could be older, I have no idea. It is build with pink gold, is automatic, and still works.

Here you have some photographs.The complete reference number is 16669130

Lot of thanks in advance!!!

IMG_7149.jpg IMG_7148.jpg
  2. bgrisso Jul 3, 2018

The number you mention is the movement serial, not the reference. It can be used to date the watch I believe, although I do not know the serial lookup by heart. The reference number would normally be on the inside case back, along with a bunch of other marks. Your doesn't have this. This suggests it's not an omega case. Because it's gold, watches were sometimes cased locally to get around gold import fees.
    Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along and give you more specific info on the case, also on the dial and hands, and the crown. I'm not familiar enough with Omega time only watches to be more help. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Jul 3, 2018

bgrisso is correct - that is not an Omega case. It's probably from South America. The dial has also been repainted.

That serial number on the movement means it was manufactured sometime in late 1958 or early 1959, so a purchase date around 1962 would jive with this information.

4. Euric Jul 3, 2018

Lot of thanks! I didn't know that.

5. Euric Jul 3, 2018

Why from South America? It is possible, but my grndmother's brother was a priest, and he lived in Spain and in USA.

So, the dial isn't original? What a pitty...

Lot of thanks for your info!

6. Draven Jul 3, 2018

Interestingly, there does not seem to be any hallmarks on the case itself only the caseback. Normally if it was all 18ct gold it would have a hallmark on the lug somewhere. The caseback may also not be original to the case.

If you look at the top image the top lug seems to have the plating coming away so may be gold plated case with solid gold caseback (may just be tarnish though)

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 3, 2018

As noted previously the 18K marking is typical for cases made in South America, these did not have hallmarks.

8. Euric Jul 3, 2018

Thanks!

9. Euric Jul 3, 2018

So, it will be difficult to identify...

10. connieseamaster Jul 3, 2018

You could try ordering an extract from Omega, but that will only tell you what the watch looked like when it left the factory and where it was heading

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 3, 2018

All you would get back is something telling you the movement left the factory as a raw uncased movement. This was quite typical in the 50s and 60s due to high import tariffs on gold watches to many countries. The raw movements were cased locally to avoid these duties.

12. ulackfocus Jul 3, 2018

That may be just a combination of scratches and tarnishing / dulling. However, your theory is possible also that it has plated lugs. Many of these so-called "solid gold" South American cases used brass or base metal rings as a starting point, and 18k gold was built up & shaped around the ring.

Or, possibly, that the watch was originally in a stainless steel case, and it was recased in a locally made version when it arrived at it's destination.

Draven likes this.
  13. Euric Jul 5, 2018

Wow. I didn't know these all possibilities... Lot of thanks! I have more questions than answers now, but I've learned a lot.