Forums Latest Members

Could this be the return of Ultraman?

1. arcadelt Mar 16, 2018

2. arcadelt Mar 16, 2018

3. michael22 Mar 16, 2018

Ban him now, before he wrecks the place.

4. lustrousaurus Mar 16, 2018

I think all signs are pointing to yes!

5. kov Trüffelschwein. Mar 16, 2018

And I just sold one of the Ultramen... ::facepalm2::

Jfullm42 likes this.
  6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 16, 2018

Tokusatsu science fiction ;)

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 16, 2018

All these big brands are just showing that they are run by suits, for profit, who do not let, or do not have, an imaginative, a watch designer or development department that is allowed free reign.

By trawling their archives to use designs from the past, to shore up profits in the present, they are setting themselves up for having nothing to look back in the future from this time.

Where is the Ultraman of today? Where is the 2915 of today? I dont mean the actual watches (look at all the re issues - who will want those in 20 years?), I mean the new design that future generations will look back on and covet as desirable, and interesting examples of the time.

Suits in corporations run for the benefit of shareholders find it very difficult not to rely only on historically proven designs, which would be fine if they continued to develop new ideas. The concept of a product failure is unacceptable to the board, apparently. If we look back at iconic design houses, including Omega, they had some real turkeys in with the gold.

That seems a risk that none of the big corporate houses want to take, so instead they churn out repros.

mbeast, gdupree, Jwit and 33 others like this.
  8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 16, 2018

Great news! It appears you can now buy a new one :thumbsup:

BenBagbag and ConElPueblo like this.
  9. kov Trüffelschwein. Mar 16, 2018

Let's see its face first, but why not !? ;)

eugeneandresson likes this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 16, 2018

Not disagreeing.

When the Ultraman and 2915 were initially released, nobody could project 50+ years into the future and guess what iconic pieces they might become. Maybe the same with modern pieces of today (just because we can't see it doesn't mean it won't be so).

However, how can anyone top/recreate the timeless classic design of the 2915 (or the rodania geometer that was based upon)? Afterall, its already been done. I think we are so biased to that particular design that anything else looks like codswollop...now...until 50+ years down the line that is...

Just a $0.02 addendum perspective ...

Edited Mar 16, 2018
    ReturnOfUltraman and kov like this.
  11. kov Trüffelschwein. Mar 16, 2018

I believe this has a strong link with the size of the company. I can take an example of my daily business since 15 years, the IT Security. I can't remember of the last real innovation brought to the market by one of the big players in this market. By accident there will be a startup they will manage to acquire early enough and rebrand the innovative products as part of their large portfolio but besides that, nada. Instead, all the innovation is driven by thousands of startups all around the planet. The paradox (to me) is that those big companies are the ones financially solid and stable enough to invest in innovation... but nope. Strange world.

Joke aside, quoting from Omega's website :
    ::book::

12. lustrousaurus Mar 16, 2018

Looking at it again and hearing the audio, it definitely sounds like the sound effect to the Ultraman beam attack.

13. arcadelt Mar 16, 2018

Personally I love re-editions - vintage watches without the hassle of being...well, vintage.

In regards to where the innovation (if that is what @Spacefruit is referring to) is that we can look back on like the 2915, Milgauss and SuperOcean slow chrono (to name a few random examples), it’s not in the watch brands making mid-tier watches who are playing it safe - but it is in surprising places. Girard-Perregaux Constant Escapement springs to mind, as does the Ressence Type 5, Zenith Defy Lab (as ugly as that case is) and maybe, just maybe, the Apple Watch. However, few if any of the innovative watches of today will be around in 50, 60 or 100 years because that is not how things like this are built anymore, and that is entirely the fault of consumer demand.

BTW, there is nothing special about the original Ultraman - it’s just a Speedy with an orange chronograph second hand. The attraction is just rarity, or hype in an overhyped vintage watch marketplace - you pick.

Perseus, Caliber561, watchme and 3 others like this.
  14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 16, 2018

Apparently the dial is also different...

lustrousaurus likes this.
  15. Pun Mar 16, 2018

I don’t know how dial is different other than perceptible orange chronograph hand. Pic from fratellowatches.

747C498F-140F-496B-82FC-2F07ECB7ED3B.jpeg
    Caliber561 and lustrousaurus like this.
  16. RTK27 Mar 16, 2018

Couldn’t it man that the waves return on the 300 M and that they are engraved with a laser?

Robert-Jan likes this.
  17. kov Trüffelschwein. Mar 16, 2018

frazierspa likes this.
  18. ReturnOfUltraman Mar 16, 2018

You’re right :thumbsup: Glossy finish instead of matte varnish like traditional Speedmasters. I hope the new Ultraman rerelease doesn’t use a ceramic dial to imitate the original shiny finish.

bazderome and lustrousaurus like this.
  19. Meme-Dweller Mar 16, 2018

RIP my savings account for 2018

20. arcadelt Mar 16, 2018

Ah, spoken like true vintage aficionados. OK, apparently the dial is different too.