Forums Latest Members

Could the WTB Restrictions Be Lifted?

1. ConElPueblo Jun 11, 2020

We are constantly seeing new members circumventing the 200-post rule for WTB adverts by posting in different fora, most recently and quite blatantly here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/seeking-cal-215-barrel-bridge-can-anyone-help.115101/

Now, since the it seems like the restrictions aren't enforced and few members have anything against this sort of post (see the above for an example), could the restriction on the WTB subforum be lifted?

I realise that we run the risk of scamming, but still.

pennsyl936 likes this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 11, 2020

I see looking for a part a legit question and not a WTB PerSay

I would report a post like above if it was for a watch.

(no one is scamming 215 barrel bridges ;))

WTB for watches is like a “I have money come scam me”

Edited Jun 11, 2020
    Kmart, Rman, ConElPueblo and 5 others like this.
  3. Capt Cave Man Jun 11, 2020

Still being green and from what I have read and experienced, I totally understand and agree with the post rule in Private Watch Sales and in the Watches for Sale sub-forums of OF as it helps protect both buyers and sellers, or at least, weed out some of the blatant opportunists.

I have always wondered why the same rule is applied to the Wanted to Buy sub-forum and just assumed it's a blanket rule for the Watch Marketplace section which makes sense as it makes life easier for the admin team.

There are so many threads, particularly in vintage from us newbs asking for help on buying our first watches or to look at specific reference and if they are original, redialed, polished, franken or counterfeit etc. it does make me wonder if it is easier to relax the rule on WTB to say a 100-posts?

mz_cle likes this.
  4. DJG2645 Jun 11, 2020

This is an interesting thread, for me I have found the 200 post rule to be quite key in my education so far, by that i mean, from being a total newbie, to learning and growing my collection (very a small at only 4 watches, but a well considered set) not being able to post in the WTB section has really challenged me to learn, research, ask questions via threads and converse with established members whom i am always thankful for.

Over the last 6 months my "WTB" wish list as I like to call it has changed frequently, i have always seen the 200 post rule as a milestone and aiming point for adding meaningful content, learning and hopefully when I hit 200 posts I will have given back and helped perhaps other more "newer newbies" than I currently am. But also I will have learned a substantial amount, refined my wish list and be clearer on any WTB posts I make,ultimately saving me money on possible regrettable purchases.

Looking back, I would say 4-5 months ago I was desperate to be able to post in the WTB section for a particular model, not being able to has meant I researched it (to death), which led me to alternative models that actually appealed to me more & led to me purchasing one via a member here anyway which I am much more happier with than the original model I thought I wanted.

Currently now the "when I hit 200 posts I will definitely post in WTB" thing is a style or strap/bracelet and not a watch, I wonder if this will still stand when I hit 200 posts! I do love experimenting.

So my take on it is I find the 200 posts hugely useful as in my early newbie stages I may have posted/bought all sorts! Although I am by no means an expert, I would like to consider myself as a more educated newbie, still impatient as ever in my pursuit for things that catch my eye but how I see me using the WTB section has definitely changed/developed on my journey so far. But also I am risk averse by nature so maybe I see 200 posts as some sort of comfort blanket. :D

Kmart, simomega, noelekal and 16 others like this.
  5. Aquariusmatic Jun 11, 2020

I'd love to see that, I guess it could save me a bit of $ from the scalpers on eBay especially in the "parts" subforum. And at least I'd know I'm getting the correct part and not usually guestimating with the seller...

6. eduk Jun 11, 2020

Keep the restriction in place, take a look at Chronotrader to see what happens when there are none :thumbsdown:

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 11, 2020

I’m not comfortable removing the 200 post requirement.

Kmart, 0uss, CajunTiger and 6 others like this.
  8. Aquariusmatic Jun 11, 2020

Not for the FS forum per say but a lower post count for only the wtb maybe? If someone is a newbie and a starter in this hobby I don't think they'd have a lot of constructive content to give out for 200 consecutive posts. It could be diluting some of the threads with post pumping.
    I'd be inclined to suggest some threads or subforums to not count towards the post count of the member.

GuiltunderGlass likes this.
  9. ConElPueblo Jun 11, 2020

The thread I link to above is the proof (actually just the latest of many) that the 200 post requirement is redundant - the WTBs are just worded differently than a straight out advert. Take a look at the seller's motivation for not posting in the WTB Subforum:

And that is basically my point. At any time can someone post a thread worded "could someone point me in the direction of a good Omega Whatevermaster" and any member can then PM the OP with an unsolicited sales offer; I have done so myself before.

Do anyone here really think that a new member being offered a good specimen of whatever he/she is looking for via a another member here would respond "Oh I am sorry, but since I am not allowed to post a WTB until I've posted 199 times, I cannot accept your offer - do you have any leads on where I can find a similar watch/part elsewhere"?

I really considered reporting it, but realised that I don't mind the person posting what she did, I dislike that she has to post it in that specific way. Look at how many new members come looking for a specific type of watch and showing the specimens he/she has considered so far - and see how many times they end up being offered something by a more experienced member which they end up buying from. In effect the post has become a WTB.

Why make a rule that cannot/won't be enforced?

pdxleaf likes this.
  10. eduk Jun 11, 2020

See the point, but scammers are inherently lazy and would target a WTB section, not trawl through sub forums. All IMO of course ;)

Mark020 likes this.
  11. GuiltunderGlass Jun 11, 2020

This is a super valid point, I think. Its also part of the reason why my post count is pretty low. I lurk/read a fair amount, but don't necessarily always have something to contribute and don't want to post superfluously.

wsfarrell and apsm100 like this.
  12. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 11, 2020

...That’s a bit of the problem there.

But if the forum became known as a place to drop in and buy a part and never come back, that mucks with the community that is built here. There was a thread a short while ago about how folks enjoyed selling and buying within the OF community (vs selling to flippers), and I think that ethic keeps this place a special haven on the web. Member ship isn’t exclusive, but it is earned.

13. JwRosenthal Jun 11, 2020

I thought it was a 20k post limit- dammit, I guess I don’t have to post so much now to get that Seamaster crown.

OmegaP99, Mark020, 0uss and 4 others like this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 11, 2020

Can’t wait for the first Zero poster to post

WTB nice vintage Speedmaster. 1969 perfect everything $3000 Budget

15010EA3-1412-4A88-840A-7A0BC200BFA0.gif
    Then bumps for the next 10 months Because all the ones offered are too dear. Bingo he now has 200 posts

Mark020, lando, WatchCor and 4 others like this.
  15. ConElPueblo Jun 11, 2020

But what is keeping people from doing exactly this right now? The only thing you need is to word your request slightly differently from a straight out WTB - as we see now - and you could post it in i.e. the Vintage Omega Watches subforum. Which is also more frequently visited than the WTB forum AND exempt from the one-bump rule.

TBF, that is hardly more annoying that the usual post farming seen around here :p

16. eduk Jun 11, 2020

I have one, send money to my Western Union account Mr and I ship today.

17. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 11, 2020

I think that it is just that the most annoying posters that get chased out for breaking this rule, most posters will get ignored or accommodated. Without a paid moderator spending all day determining what is blatantly skirting the rules and what is a sincere “where can I buy one of these?”, its the OF community who decides who gets answers and who doesn’t. So, do we haphazardly self-police or just drop the rule, this is an interesting conversation

18. Dan S Jun 11, 2020

I'm fully aware that the mods don't need my opinion on this, but for what it's worth, I'm for keeping the rule in place. I understand that there are ways to circumvent it, but the same is true for backdoor sales posts ("What would be the best way for me to sell this watch?"). There will always be a grey zone, but I'm not in favor of opening the floodgates. Scams can be perpetuated by buyers as readily as by sellers.

DaveK, TimeODanaos and JwRosenthal like this.
  19. JwRosenthal Jun 11, 2020

I think the self-policing can be a bit unevenly weighted at times, as any community monitoring can be. We had a newcomer asking where to source hands last week and he was immediately told that we are not here to do his homework or sell him parts. Well, actually this is the first step in doing homework and many members here do sell parts. It’s logical to come first to the place where people know these watches.

ConElPueblo, DaveK and TimeODanaos like this.
  20. Aquariusmatic Jun 11, 2020

As I was sent for a Flightmaster dial to the FS parts, only to be greeted by an unnamed member that sells quite a lot of stuff here with an 1000€ offer for the dial.
    Bit of searching later and found a similar if not better dial for 300€ on eBay - IF I was able to post a WTB i'd probably get guidance and multiple offers from interested parties that would help me decide and not be left at the mercy of a flipper or a scalper.
    On the other hand I've opened a thread about my Flightmaster restoration but don't feel like bumping it with every bit of info i need - as said I hate post pumping and would love to see post counting not active on Sale subforums as well as the jokes thread and some other essentially empty content threads.