Forums Latest Members

Could Someone Shed Some Light On This Omega Geneve 18k Rose Gold Watch.

1. Jpilks Feb 3, 2013

Hi Guys,

Ive seen this Geneve that has caught my eye. I cant find any information on it and I am struggling to find it on the database. Could someone shred some light on its credibility and does that crown look dodgy?

Regards, James

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 3, 2013

South American case and not a swiss case. I personally would avoid it but if you decide to pursue it keep in mind quality control including assay of gold content and standards of production were not anywhere near swiss quality.

3. ulackfocus Feb 3, 2013

To expound, it was most likely in a stainless case when it left the factory in Bienne and installed into a locally made gold case after it arrived in South America. There is much less gold in it than a Swiss case, and collectors don't pay the big bucks that a Swiss made case would command.

4. Jpilks Feb 3, 2013

Really great knowledge! Thank you, I genuinely really appreciate it.

I'm learning something new everyday.

What do you reckon it should be worth?

5. ulackfocus Feb 3, 2013

Maybe $700 to $800? That doesn't mean it wouldn't be bid up higher if on eBay because there are a LOT of vintage watch buyers who don't know the difference between a true Omega sanctioned case and a knock off. If you get 2 or 3 naive bidders things can really get out of hand. The real deal of this is easily a $1600 watch in that condition.

I'll give you an example using another brand. I bought a Longines, unseen, because a friend who didn't know the brand said it was a caliber 3oL inside an 18ct rose gold case. Asking price was a mere $450, and I got it for $400. I thought it would be an easy $1000 watch despite it being generic no-name model (meaning non-series, like a Flagship). Upon arrival I took it to a watchmaker who checked it out and told me the case had about $150 - $200 in scrap value because the gold was built up around a brass base. A Swiss made Longines case of that dimension (36 mm) would have easily had $550 in gold value. No worries though - it was still a nice watch. After a good spa treatment and a new strap I sold it for $600. Not a loss, but not really a gain if you say all the effort and time I put in was worth only $60-ish.

6. Jpilks Feb 3, 2013

I thought it was too good to be true.

Is this something that Omega did, putting them in South American cases? Or was it individuals trying to scam people?

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 3, 2013

Import duties were high for precious metals so typically the local omega importer recased them in locally made cases. These were not done under omega supervision leading to the generally low gold content and inferior fit and finish of most of these cases.

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 3, 2013

Not just South America, but also the US, France...many countries had high import duties to protect the home jewelry industries.

9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 3, 2013

I thought the Omega cases made in the US/UK/France were under Omega supervision? Obviously they must have been licensed, as they used the Omega logo. But was it always the case it was without supervision/QA?

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 4, 2013

I think the situation in Argentina went way beyond the saving of a few dollars of import tariffs. I think I remember reading the import fees for imported watch cases was well over 100% during the Peron years in the 1950's.

This was a government mandate. The military dictators there had a way of dealing with people who say "no" that really wasn't pleasant. So, if Omega wanted to do business in Argentina, they knew the rules of engagement.
    gatorcpa