Forums Latest Members

Could it be my first Zenith?

1. JazzBox Oct 20, 2017

Dear all,

I found this nice vintage Zenith from a friend: is it all original?

Which model is it and from which year?
    How much should I pay for it?

Thank you very much for your help! :)

IMG_1651.JPG
    Edited May 15, 2018
    seamaster5 likes this.
  2. TexOmega Oct 20, 2017

First, does it appeal to you? In what way? Expound on your research so we all can learn. I'm mostly a novice on these vintage Zenith watches.

3. JazzBox Oct 21, 2017

Ciao TexOmega, I like this watch: a friend is selling it and I like it. I took it for the weekend and I'm deciding if buying or not.

Searching on google I found here and here that it should be a 1948 watch. The caliber is 126-6.
    It runs and has a good power reserve (I'm still trying it).

I have no other informations, because he just said that it is a 50's watch and to make an offer if I like it.

On chrono24 I saw most of the 126-6 caliber are in between 700 and 1500 €, but they are oversized (up to 38-39mm) and this one is 35mm.

So... I like it and I'd like to buy it, but I want to be sure it is original and I want to offer the right price...
    Thank you all for your help :)

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 21, 2017

Watch looks nice and the style is very 1940’s.

I think the dial is an old redial. That would hold down the offer. I find that Chrono24 prices are generally double market or higher. You cannot search for items that were actually sold on Chrono24.

You should be able to search similar watches on the “Completed Items” section of eBay.

That will give you a better idea of the market.
    gatorcpa

5. TexOmega Oct 21, 2017

Nice research thank you for sharing, I would also agree that, for a watch like you show, a basic 1940's Zenith, the comparable Omega would be $275-325, and I would be comfortable there, if not a redial. Movement looks OK, and I do not have the knowledge base on Zenith watches to comment on a redial or not, but would bank on Gator's eye.

All of the above is mute if you like it and wish to wear it because it is a very nice watch.

JazzBox likes this.
  6. JazzBox Oct 22, 2017

I decided to buy it. It runs for more the 30 hours without loosing a second, it is nice and well conserved for a nearly 70 years old watch :)

Which are the things that let you see it is a redial? I look near the 3 hours and no signs or scratches. I ask because I want to learn for the future.
    Thank you! ;)

7. JazzBox Oct 22, 2017

It is super nice and, even if I'd love to have an old oversized watch, it is not too small for and elegant watch... So I phoned to my friend saying I'm buying it :)

TexOmega likes this.
  8. TexOmega Oct 22, 2017

Great. Post a bunch of pictures.

JazzBox likes this.
  9. JazzBox Oct 23, 2017

Here we are: a new strap and an old Zenith buckle :)

Could you help me to understand which model is it and if it is redialed (and how to understand it for the future?) :)

IMG_1688.JPG IMG_1687.JPG IMG_1683.JPG
    lando likes this.
  10. JazzBox Oct 29, 2017

I'm very happy with it: at the end I payed € 180, the only doubt is that the winding crown is a little hard to wind and it makes only 18 - 20 turns. Apart that, the watch take the time perfectly and the reserve is near to 40 hours.

Do you think it is ok to leave as it is or os it better to ask a watch repairer to lubrificate it?
    I would not ask for a complete service, because I just bought it and the price would be higher then the watch :)

Thank you very much!

11. JazzBox Oct 29, 2017

Edited Oct 29, 2017