Forums Latest Members

Could I Get Some Help Identifying This Omega Pocket Watch

1. MattG Dec 22, 2012

I bought this watch a couple of years ago through ebay and was wondering if it is in fact a genuine omega watch and how old it might be.

It keeps great time and at the moment is my non work daily watch.

Sorry there is no photo of the movement as there is no access from the back, it looks like you have to remove the crown and winding pin to lift the movement out of the watch, which I have no idea how to do. front.jpg back.jpg face.jpg

2. ulackfocus Dec 22, 2012

How old? Very. Almost certainly pre-1950.

Best I can do without seeing the guts. :(

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 22, 2012

Yea pretty much what he said. The upside is its got a rather nice clean dial, the downside is value wise there's not much in them as not many people collect pocket watches. Cool piece though.

4. MattG Dec 24, 2012

Thanks for the quick reply.

My next question is as I have had it about 4 yrs now and never had it serviced who in Australia could you recommend (I live in Rockhampton in Nth Queensland) or could a local watch repairer do a basic service and get some photos of the insides while its open.

I ask as when I contacted Omega in Sydney they said it would have to go back to Switzerland at my own cost but couldn't even give me a ballpark figure at what the service would cost.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 24, 2012

I actually send mine to watchmakers in the US, its faster, cheaper and better.

6. Sherbie Dec 24, 2012

Looking at the picture, there is a hinge just above 12 o/c, and a finger insert at 6o/c, which you should be able to lift up, in order to get at the movement

Have you tried this?

Let us know how you get on

Cheers, Paul

Ps is this case solid silver - look for hallmarks inside the case?

7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 24, 2012

Hi I admit to a fondness for pocket watches, as has been said the dial is nice, often many are cracked or chipped. Without a pic of the movement I would hazard a guess at age a lot earlier than suggested, perhaps around 1920.
    It may possibly be a Railroad quality, the case back engraving just may be clue, or a red herring :) Certainly would be interested to see the movement.
    A link you may find interesting if you have not already come across it - http://mb.nawcc.org/showwiki.php?title=Omega

8. MattG Dec 24, 2012

Paul,
    I have tried swinging out the face on the hinge before but it meets resistance after a couple of mm just as the back of the movement clears the case, which is why I think the crown and winder need to come out to swing the case open.

Also thanks Alpha for that link it was quite interesting.

9. Sherbie Dec 25, 2012

Hi Mattg, have you tried pulling the winder crown up and swinging out the face at the same time?

Cheers, Paul

10. MattG Dec 25, 2012

That worked. :)

movement.jpg inside case.jpg

11. MattG Dec 25, 2012

I will try to get a better picture of the inside casing in the morning as there seems to be a lot scratched into it. maybe some natural lighting may reduce the glare and make the scratched in writing clearer.

12. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 25, 2012

Looks like it has had a good few services in the past, some just may have dates. A quick look says quality, and dates if my records are correct to 1920's.
    As soon as time allows I'll look through my material and hopefully provide more info.
    Kind regards.

13. ulackfocus Dec 25, 2012

The serial number dates it to 1921. It's a 19 ligne (@ 43 mm) caliber LIB NN 17 p.

14. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 26, 2012

Straight from the Guru himself, nice one Dennis.

15. MattG Dec 28, 2012

Thanks guys.
    It nice to know the age of it and its good to know that even after 90 years it still keeps almost perfect time.

I cannot find a silver hallmark in the case so I'm guessing that it its either a steel case or a nickel silver case.

A question about the caliber. I get the first part 19 ligne is the size. Is the LIB NN 17p its type or is it short for something?