Forums Latest Members
  1. astrand Jul 1, 2018

Hey everyone,

I just wonder what the general consensus is about auction house watches. I came across this mid 90s seamaster with tritium dial and pip, which will I will be able to go and see in person on Friday.

I am by no means an expert when it comes to polish and wear and wonder if anyone can take a look and see if there's anything obvious that means I shouldn't waste my time with it.

https://www.kaplans.se/sv/auktioner/3425/vara/1459613

-What I can see is that there is a lot of grime on the watch which could mean it hasn't been polished, or was but not recently?
    -The seconds hand has faded which could mean a lot of sun exposure, but the bezel insert looks fresh, replaced?

Is it safe to assume that the movement was at least expected or seen by the auction house?

Any info is appreciated. I've been looking at new speedies, but if the price is right.. Why not.

Regards,
    Alex

Edited Jul 1, 2018
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 1, 2018

It is best if you upload the image but at a minimum, link directly to the pic:

[​IMG]

That bezel does look suspiciously tidy, that may mean it has been replaced by a new one which is fine if original or not if it is an aftermarket insert. Look at the 2 in 20, does it look odd to you? It does to me. The dial and hands look right, the hands on the tritium version always fade less than the dial plots and yes the second hands are often faded like that. Can't really judge polish from this pic but the case looks OK to me. I don't see there being much of a premium for tritium Bonds so I wouldn't consider paying more for this than a tidy 2005 model personally. In fact I would want it at a few hundred £/€ less since I don't like the dial/hands mismatch you get on these 94-97 models.

astrand likes this.
  3. astrand Jul 1, 2018

Thanks padders, and I'll be sure to link a photo next time.

I agree with your that the font looks odd on the bezel, now that you mention it.

And is it only the early cal1109 seamasters that come with tritium in the hands or am I only confusing myself. Thanks for your response!

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 1, 2018

You get both 1109 and 1120 movements in the early models, the 1109 for the first year and then the 1120. I believe they were tritium from 1994 to late 1997 like I said above. This would mean they have serials approximately in the 54-60m range. I had a tritium dial model from 1997 on 60m so the cut off is shortly after that AFAIK.

astrand likes this.
  5. astrand Jul 1, 2018

Okay I understand - thanks for your information I appreciate it :)

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 1, 2018

No problem. I do think on balance that insert is a cheap aftermarket one and be aware a new geniune one would set you back at least £220 so factor that in. You might be able to pick up a decent one on ebay for maybe £150 or so but they are often a bit tatty on there. A new replacement would likely have a Superluminova dot...

astrand likes this.