Forums Latest Members

Could I be good at watch repair and service?

1. w1n9m4n Jul 6, 2015

Hell yeah! I can do anything...with a little help.

I am thinking about getting into the craft/hobby.

Any advice or tips?
    What tools must I have? What oils?

How does one begin the journey?

2. ulackfocus Jul 6, 2015

I guess we have another member who can install a garbage disposal and replace a door knob!

persco, italy1861, x3no and 1 other person like this.
  3. Pvt-Public Jul 6, 2015

I took 2 workshops on pocket watch dis-assembly and service at the NAWCC in Columbia PA. It gave me the very basics and then many, many PW movements later (some I reduced to complete rubble, some not) I at least have the confidence to service my own PW's, They also offer workshops on wrist watches.
    http://www.nawcc.org/index.php/main-education

Mad Dog and w1n9m4n like this.
  4. ulackfocus Jul 6, 2015

Strike the "another member" comment - it appears this is the same guy who we tried to talk sense to when he wanted to "simply replace parts" in a watch's regulator portion.

Still at it, eh? Well, good luck. Let's light the bat symbol: @Archer !!!! You'll need proper training / schooling first, and that's where you find out what tools you'll need.

EDIT - here's a link you'll definitely want to check out: http://www.timezonewatchschool.com/WatchSchool/

Mad Dog and STANDY like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 6, 2015

Strip The motor out of your car this weekend and put it back together and think of doing it with tweezers then ask the question again..

6. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jul 6, 2015

I'd wish I could do it, but alas, my 'Fingerspitzengefühl" is akin to a retarded gorilla on PCP.

Mad Dog likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Jul 6, 2015

Added a necessary point to your post. Wearing magnification lenses really messes with your depth perception. That's one thing you'll need to get used to.

Mad Dog likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Jul 6, 2015

There's certainly some fodder for a custom avatar message in that post. :D

9. ulackfocus Jul 6, 2015

Nailed it! :p

So what do you think @BartH ?

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 6, 2015

Dennis think @w1n9m4n needs

How does one begin the journey

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 6, 2015

Maybe?

12. ulackfocus Jul 6, 2015

A custom avatar message? You bet he does! They have more meaning when it's something uttered by the actual member themselves though. For instance, if I put something about his enthusiasm overshadowing his understanding, it might be taken as a negative - and trust me, I've done a few that were commentaries like that and they weren't well received, and eventually removed. I also don't like when it's an obviously forced quote. These things just sort of occur, like when J (stygg) mentioned he used to be a bouncer so he got "ΩF enforcer", or S (AU buyer) joked about being a "posh nouveau yank". When the correct phrase happens it's just natural to make it permanent. You feel the alignment of the stars, the balance in the Force, or however you want to explain it.

13. w1n9m4n Jul 6, 2015

Talk sense to? I just asked a question good sir. For all I knew the part was as easy to remove and install as a alternator on a 80 bronco.
    We all have to start somewhere. At some point you had no clue what a spring for regulator was as well.
    One thing I do know is I learn fast and am capable of anything. Sorry you feel the need to place limits on people. Many people have taught themselves many things with a bit of knowledge from those that came before them....

14. ulackfocus Jul 6, 2015

Yes, talk sense to - because you DIDN'T know it wasn't as easy as replacing an alternator and probably would have seriously f::censored::ed up your watch. Don't read negativity into my post. It's straight talk and advice on where to start.

15. w1n9m4n Jul 6, 2015

Congrats on your personal acomplishments good sir!

16. w1n9m4n Jul 6, 2015

Like this is sooooo positive...SMH

17. ulackfocus Jul 6, 2015

It is - it's a positively funny joke for all the n00bs we've seen over the years who think watch repair is as easy as basic handyman's jobs. :p I like your enthusiasm, but you really should take a good long look before posting in front of the entire internet..... especially something that smacks of "how hard can it be"?

If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it. Even those with the hand-eye coordination of a retarded gorilla on PCP.

DirtyDozen12, persco, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  18. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 6, 2015

Can you please teach me that? I need to fix some of the environmental problems our planet faces and I have tons of other stuff that I want to do as well

19. w1n9m4n Jul 6, 2015

This is the look I am taking. Is there a better pool of informed people I should be asking for help? It seems I am taking a first step in the right direction. Nothing worth doing is easy but, I never sell myself short. I just don't know if my wallet can do the job!

Mad Dog likes this.
  20. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 6, 2015

Lots of things easy things are worth doing. Going to the toilet for example.

Mad Dog likes this.