Forums Latest Members
  1. hiennguyen4436 Apr 26, 2015

Hi Folks,

I'm planning to get my first omega in the next few weeks, but I'm still deciding with fit me best. I'm 21 years old, I go to college full-time and work part-time as a professional videographer at weekend. My plan is getting a omega to fit my daily basic at school, and dress up at weekend for work.

1st - what omega fit me best? Thinking of AT 8500 or PO 8500 (If AT 85, should I get Master Co-Axial?)
    2nd - Is there any trusted dealer online that you've experimented with or you've already dealt with? I currently live in CA, US, and one of my friends recommended me Jomashop, since he've got his Rolex GMT there a while back.
    3rd - I would like my watch comes with stainless steel, and I will get some REAL Alligator straps with Omega buckle. I just wondered where can I get them at?

I highly appreciate your thoughts or comments.

Best regards,
    Hien

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 26, 2015

Jomashop is fine, authentic watches is fine and suissluxurywatches is fine. Bob's watches also ok but better yet if you source through some of the dealers in this site as you're bound to get better margins and a kind of community guarantee. i've dealt with George (Kringkily) with great success.

AT8500 is an amazing elegant and versatile watch. I would and have gone for the Master C (see my avatar)but take look at the aesthetics and small details as some people like better the date "framed" window of the older version.

Consider a Speedy as well as they are also very very versatile.

The PO 8500 is an amazing and very good looking watch but it does make a larger commitment in terms of size and thickness profile. Depending on your personal style and wrist size it may sit too tall and therefore be perhaps on the sportier side...I would recommend you try it on at a store first (always a good idea for all watches) as you may find it does not work quite well for you...on that note consider an SMP300 MC, 99% of people believe it to be the second coming of horological christ and even those that have issue with it (like me) have to give it its due credit for being an incredibly elegant diver that for sure fits the play/work scenario you describe. For sure it is a watch that you can dress up or down and feel confident it will always perform.

But, first and foremost go to a store and try them on without commitment, feel them on your wrist and then choose with confidence, they are all great watches, but maybe not all great for you.

Happy hunting.

Edited Apr 26, 2015
    Prange likes this.
  3. E-diddy Apr 26, 2015

Young stylish guy like yourself might want to consider the Speedmaster as well. Check out Hqmilton in the Bay Area. I 100% agree with Nobel -- try them first and see how they feel and look on your wrist.

4. Drawarms Apr 26, 2015

SPEEDY FROM GEORGE FTW!!!:thumbsup:

tpatta likes this.
  5. proximal Apr 26, 2015

The ethics are debatable, but the thing about buying a watch from Costco is that you could return it in a few years and get all your money back. To be clear, you shouldn't do this, but you could.

I would say go to a store (where in CA are you?) and try on a bunch of different models. Once you've narrowed it down, you can shop around. There are plenty of reputable folks on here that you could buy from, too.

There are plenty of plenty of sources for alligator straps. Hadley Roma off the top of my head.

6. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 26, 2015

IMHO Banda is best for the bucks. I have had several large tile alligator straps made to my preferred width and length including my preferred IWC tapered square end cut on the hole side. Last one was navy Blue with white stitching and stunning. Just my 2c's
    P2280816.JPG

Edited Apr 26, 2015
  7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Apr 26, 2015

Surprised to find that Costco UK have one Omega listed - Model: Speedmaster Moonwatch 311.30.44.51.01.002 @ £5,199.99

8. italy1861 Apr 27, 2015

Was surprised and a little bit disappointed to see a Speedmaster Pro full box set for sale at my local Costco.. $3999.00 USD...

travisrock likes this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 27, 2015

Not sure all of the online dealers, but remember Jomashop has a 20% restocking fee you decided to return the watch. No Omega warranty and also if you buy from them and the next day they lower the price, they will not credit you the difference. Product is fine as they describe it though, they do have their own warranty.

10. yinzerniner Apr 27, 2015

@hiennguyen4436
    Not sure where you are in Cali, but best would be to go to an AD or if possible an Omega Boutique and try on EVERYTHING. Only then can you decide which piece sings to you. If you want some outside opinions even snap a few on-wrist pics and post them here.
    As for alligator straps, if you really MUST have the Omega deployment then best bet is to either purchase them directly from the Omega dealer or Ofrei, which I believe is located in the Bay Area. Ofrei lists prices, but doesn't always keep the exact strap you're looking for in stock, and sometimes the dealers charge less than Ofrei. Also, scour the usual channels (classifieds, the 'bay) in case you know the exact color and style you want. If you can do with a non-Omega deployment plenty other strap options are available, but as suggested above Hirsch is generally acknowledged as one of the best due to high quality for price, finish and fit options and availability.
    Purchasing from Costco is A-OK given their superb customer service and return policy. Also, if you have an Exec Membership you end up getting 4% back on a $4-6K watch I believe since you have cashback and cash rewards. That's enough to pay for some of your strap and deployment.
    And yes, at least in this forum George (user Kringkily) is a trusted resource for private purchases.
    Best of luck with your search.

11. hiennguyen4436 Apr 27, 2015

@yinzerniner

Thank you so much for your wise knowledge. I will make some time to go AD sometimes this months. I thought a lot about PO too, but I decided to go for AT. I will double check with AD, if they can cut me a deal on AT 8500 master coaxial. Then I would go for it. If not, you said that costco has a A-ok return policy, I will just go with the AT 8500 38.5 teak grey dial. Tbh, I've never thought that AD would go low price on Strap, if they won't i will just get hirsch since I'm a big fan of alligator strap.

For Jomashop, my friend just got his rolex pilot for 7800 and he has no complaints about this. One more thing though, jomashop only charges restock fee if the item purchased was over 4000.

Again you comments help me a lot. Sorry for my broken English
    Thanks,
    Hien

12. hiennguyen4436 Apr 27, 2015

@italy1861

I didn't know that because AT for 3999 (+ tax) grabs all of my attentions :)

13. repoman Apr 28, 2015

Same here, San Diego (Carmel Mountain Store):
    IMG_20150428_192134179.jpg

travisrock and bb58 like this.
  14. holeymakarel Apr 29, 2015

Can anyone here confirm whether Costco's return policy applies to big ticket items like this? I find it really hard to believe that you can buy a watch like this, wear it for a few years, and then just return it...how is that a sustainable store policy? Has anyone actually tried this with luxury watches at costco?

15. yinzerniner Apr 29, 2015

I've heard people return multiple items that were at least this expensive to Costco (central AC units, humongous TV's, full audio systems, etc) and there was never an issue. Also, a lot has to do with how the manager on shift interprets certain policies, as sometimes watches can be grouped in with jewelry, which I believe only has a year return policy but a lifetime replacement policy, while other times watches can be returned years and years afterwards and full value is credited back to you.
    But, just to be clear, I don't advocate anyone abusing their policies as Costco is a great company and really shouldn't have to stand for unscrupulous customers; I just think it's great that such a high-ticket and well-respected item can be purchased there for a great deal and the customer knows if anything goes wrong they have a helluva security blanket in place.

16. Prange Apr 29, 2015

My AD quoted me the same 4K for a Speedmaster Pro.

You may want to check with your local AD. You may be surprised at how much they'll work with you.

17. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 6, 2015

Went to Costco for the first time today (Cincinnati, Ohio area)...saw a few ladies Omegas on display and also saw these Breitlings...

image.jpg
  18. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 6, 2015

If only because of my inexperience with the coaxial models and how "too shiny" they are... I recommend the caliber 1861 (or 1863) Speedmaster "Moonwatch". Any watch essentially unchanged for 40-plus years is a good starter Omega for sure.

Tom

19. mgennone May 6, 2015

Do not purchase from Jomashop...a lot of people have had bad experiences...me included. I tested them out buying a cheap watch and even that had issues.

20. moontag Aug 8, 2015

Costco OMEGA sighting today...

1439060234512-860049700.jpg