Forums Latest Members

"Cost" of wearing daily a Speedmaster with caliber 321

1. MTROIS Feb 17, 2017

After some unsuccessful searches, I am creating this new thread. Hope it is not a repeat.

Before I start wearing on a daily basis the 2998 version of the Speedmaster I recently had the privilege to acquire in an immaculate condition, I wanted to get this community's thoughts on the potential "costs" of doing so.

I am specifically asking about the normal wear and tear that could be imposed on the movement itself, especially given the ever increasing difficulty to source some of the parts. So, assuming that we start with a model in perfect working condition, well oiled machine.... what are the parts that will need changing in 5-10 years and what will be the likelihood of not being able to source them anymore?

I am not asking about the potential risks of damaging the case, bezel, etc etc. Just movement.

Thanks in advance for your comments and input.

Cheers!!

2. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Feb 17, 2017

Lets see some photos ::popcorn::

marcn, ac106, Jwit and 2 others like this.
  3. Fost Feb 17, 2017

'2998 version of the Speedmaster I recently had the privilege to acquire in an immaculate condition'

Picture or it doesn't happen....

marco, WYO_Watch, Pun and 4 others like this.
  4. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Feb 17, 2017

Blimey mate! Really a 2998!
    And there is me worrying about going to work with a 1965 105.012 up my sleeve! Anyway, even if we don't get to see the lovely 2998, I'm still very interested to know what the Horologists say about this question in general. It may change how I use my own watch.;)

I know the 2998 is a bit earlier but the NASA tests may make you smile a bit. I'm pretty sure the Rolex failed. Here's a section from 2016 Fratellowatches on the Omega Speedmaster:

While the watch passed all the NASA tests, it was never designed especially for the tests. Before the 105.003 the watch was simply a commercial watch like any other. A sports chronograph. This was also confirmed by Jim Ragan, the NASA engineer who tested the Speedmaster.

NASA Tests
    After a long and intensive test period the Speedmaster became the exclusive wristwatch for astronauts in 1965. But what tests did the 105.003 (or NASA reference 6049 – USA designation) pass?

1. High temperature test: 70° C for 48 hours, then 93° C for 30 minutes in a partial vacuum.
    2. Low temperature test: -18° C for 4 hours.
    3. Vacuum test: heated in a vacuum chamber and then cooled to -18° C for several cycles.
    4. Humidity test: ten 24-hour cycles in >95% humidity with temperatures ranging from 25° C to
      70° C.
    5. Corrosion test: in an atmosphere of oxygen at
      70° C for 48 hours.
    6. Shock-resistance test: six 40 G shocks in six different directions.
    7. Acceleration test: progressive acceleration to 7.25 G for about five minutes and then to 16 G for 30 seconds in three axes.
    8. Low pressure test: pressure of 10’6 atmospheres at 70° C for 90 minutes, then at 93° C for 30 minutes.
    9. High pressure test: in an air pressure of 1.6 atmospheres for 60 minutes.
    10. Vibration test: random vibrations in three axes between 5 and 2,000 Hz With an acceleration of
      8.8 G.
    11. Sound test: 130 decibels at frequencies from 40
      to 10,000 Hz for 30 minutes.

Edited Feb 17, 2017
    Etp095, Swissgmt1675, rsteabo and 5 others like this.
  5. MTROIS Feb 17, 2017

Mate, in my books, a 105.012 or 105.003... or any pre-moon example is just as interesting as a 2998. I know the latter are a bit more rare, but these are all nice pieces!!!
    Kudos to you for wearing it as it was intended!! :)

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 17, 2017

In my experience.....

A 2998 is a fantastic daily wearer. It is robust, and an excellent timepiece. It is (currently) a liquid place to store value (wealth) and for capital gain.

This last is the problem. Dent a DO90 bezel and its -$1000. Dent a BASE1000 bezel and its more. Damage the case and its a big drop. So while you can wear it everyday, there is the risk of devaluation. That risk is by far the greater cost of ownership to consider.

A correct 2998-1 is asking $30-50k these days. So we have to look at the capital preservation in a valuable watch if we are going to talk about long term ownership costs.

Servicing is easy, if you can send your watch to a sympathetic watchmaker with a supply of parts. If you dont have this, then all you can expect is the movement to be stripped, oiled, reassembled and adjusted - often all that's needed.

Servicing costs in UK run about 500-600 sterling, every five years

So far, any servicing costs on a 2998 are wiped out by the capital increase.

No thread complete without a picture. I used to wear this daily until the value got so high I realised it was too risky - and that is a shame.

1-P7290006.jpg

scbr215, 63TR4, bhove and 32 others like this.
  7. cwindham Feb 17, 2017

Simply MARVELOUS!

marco and Mark020 like this.
  8. Fost Feb 17, 2017

@Spacefruit : 'No thread complete without a picture' clearly a lesson for the OP ;)

tapaptpat and MTROIS like this.
  9. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 17, 2017

I think only solution is to buy many Speedmasters, this allows you to rotate them daily. If one gets damaged accidentally it's a much smaller hit to your watch collection.

I just accidentally dropped my Gemini 4 and cracked the crystal. :( So I know the pain.

LawBrk, Mad Dog, Pun and 1 other person like this.
  10. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Feb 17, 2017

As usual bang on the mark William. Thankyou!

While we have your attention, can I extend that question to a watch that is not running and in need of a service.
    You (and others) very kindly pointed me to STS and advised me not to wind my 1960's 321 Speedy. As I save for my service I have a worrying dilemma between leaving my valuable watch at home or taking it out with me on a daily basis. This week I've had it in a little bag, with a soft cloth protecting the case and some silica gel granules thown in just in case of moisture. (A bit like a cosy textile scrotum really)::shy::

So my question is: Can an unwound 321 Speedy (awaiting service) be damaged by wearing it or transporting it on a daily basis?
    (As we don't seem to have seen the original 2998 that was the original subject of this thread, I will include a shot of my watch with said bag, cloth and silica gel sachet)

20170217_155615-1.jpg
    Edited Feb 17, 2017
    Don Bocadillo likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 17, 2017

I live in fear of damage and loosing the bezels. Mine are fair weather dress watches. Too valuable/vulnerable to wear daily.

marco, rsteabo and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 17, 2017

Send it to STS now.
    By the time its ready, you will have saved the money.

Etp095 and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 17, 2017

I wear my watches. The 2998s are some of my favorites.. While not Base1000 valuable, they are still worth a pretty penny, but if I can't wear it, then what's the point? There are other ways to preserve or gain capital...

As for wear on the movement, well, they were made to be wound and running. There are some parts that are NLA, like a 321 balance complete, but with proper upkeep, how likely is it that one of the NLA parts will need replacing? If you're worried about parts, pick up a spare movement or two - even better, pick up a movement in a case with a dial and hands, like a seamaster 321 or even a cheap Tissot branded Chro27. Not all the parts are interchangeable, but most are (even if they're a different colour). Better to have a supply and not need it that to not have it and need it.

$0.02 CAD

marco, Dgercp, bama2141 and 7 others like this.
  14. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Feb 17, 2017

Thankyou William. That seems clear enough. I will drive over next week and deliver it by hand.

red crowned likes this.
  15. Mothra Feb 17, 2017

OK, I think I have to question your logic here - you are assuming that there is a greater risk of something happening to your unworn watch while stationary and securely placed at home than while carrying it round out and about? What am I missing?

16. Mothra Feb 17, 2017

I feel your pain, but probably better the crystal than the case?!?

Taddyangle likes this.
  17. MTROIS Feb 17, 2017

Guys, I heard you and I know that we all live in a world where instant gratification is the norm, but I am not wearing it just now so you will need to be a little bit more patient!! Haha...

Thanks a million for all the comments and advice already. I do think indeed that it is indeed a shame to not use something for which it was intended.

Many of my friends think I am crazy for driving a rare car at the race track... and as much as I did have an accident with it, I do not regret that part one bit because this is what it was made for (not crashing, obviously, but you get my point, I hope!). When I see one of these cars going for auction with less than a hundred miles on the clock after 20 years... I just shake my head in disbelief...

So...pics to be added tonight!

18. MTROIS Feb 17, 2017

Great advice!! Thank you. I was just getting worried about the vertical clutch wheel suffering, etc. After having seen the SP101 site and also after constantly hearing that parts are NLA or very difficult to get by.

oddboy likes this.
  19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 17, 2017

A ship is safe in the harbor but that's not what it was built for. I often wonder how owners of vintage high performance cars have the stones to race them.

20. MTROIS Feb 17, 2017

My reasoning is that you do this when you can afford it... if you can't, then you won't!

bazamu and Larry S like this.