Forums Latest Members

Cost for a SMPc to be serviced if nothing is wrong?

1. LeDave Sep 12, 2014

I have had my Omega SMPc for almost exactly 12 months now. I see people talk about servicing their watch every 3-5 years. I want to do the same for mine to make sure it keeps it's time right and everything is working like new. Should I service my SMPc in the next 2-4 years even when nothing is wrong, and how much would that generally cost? Thanks.

2. engr.pol Sep 12, 2014

Hi LeDave, I had the same question a few days back..after a quick call to Omega SC, I found out that for non-chrono, servicing is SGD 450 and for chrono it's SGD 750..might vary depending on your location..anyway, it is recommended to have your gaskets checked at least once a year to ensure that your watch's WR is working as expected..personally though, I don't take my watch swimming with me so I'm planning to do it every 4-5 years..

LeDave likes this.
  3. Nitzbar Will sell any watch tougher than him. Sep 13, 2014

It's $525 if you do it through a Boutique and Omega will give you a 2 year international warranty. Omega recommends service every 5 years. You can probably have service done for much less through an independent watch maker. Personally, I would only use a independent watch maker that other forum members have used and pleased with their work.

You asked if you should still service if nothing is wrong. It's kind of like do you service your car if it's running ok. You do if you want it to preform as it should and get the most longevity out of it.

Most likely you aren't going to have a catastrophic failure if you don't service your SMPc in 10, 20 or maybe even 30 years, but like engr.pol mentioned above, water damage will turn your precision time piece into a paper weight.

4. Walkerwek1958 Sep 22, 2014

Unless the watch is misbehaving it shouldn't need servicing until it's around 6 years old. There's nothing to be gained by servicing it more often.

Paul

5. msp1518 Sep 22, 2014

LeDave,no matter how many ways you ask the same question you will receive the same answer. Leave your watch alone. It won't need servicing for another four years. Just enjoy your time piece. It's a thing of beauty, not something to worry about.