Forums Latest Members
  1. DIV Mar 12, 2018

Hello
    I did some searches and didn't come up with a definition. I see COSMIC on several different Omega models and I don't seem to understand what makes a Cosmic, a Cosmic. I've seen Quartz Seamaster Cosmics, manual wound, auto and with different case shapes.

Can someone please sum it up for me?
    Or point me to an informative link?

Thanks

2. DIV Mar 13, 2018

Really?
    Nothing?

3. micampe Mar 13, 2018

Don’t forget the Cosmic Moonphase.

What makes a Seamaster a Seamaster?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 13, 2018

Answer - the Cosmics have Cosmic on the dial. It's not any more complicated than that.

What makes a Seamaster or Speedmaster "professional" a "professional" model - you will see all sorts of theories resented, but really it's because it says so on the dial.

thatonewatchdude likes this.
  5. chipsotoole Mar 13, 2018

1940-1950's cosmic was name the fancy TDM moonphase watches
    Around 64/65 Omega came up with the Seamaster Cosmic possibly as a reaction to the space age. They certainly have a rounded slightly futuristic shape. If you can find one with an original "brick" or BOR bracelet so much the better.
    68/69 they revamped the line and called them Cosmic 2000 the dials generally have a more 70's vibe to them....similarly to the way the Omega Dynamic dials went. The mechanical cosmic were fading into obscurity by about 73/74....dunno anything about quartz ones.
    They have a sealed unibody shell with an thinly engraved hippocampus logo on the base it usually says the model ref number and tool 105 or 104 referring to the implement used to get the glass off and get into the workings from the top. as Archer says If it isn't marked Cosmic..it's not a cosmic..seems for this model at least omega were consistent.
    I think the first gen ones are fabulous. They are also IMHO significantly undervalued compared to other models. If you can get your hands on a non redialed/messed about with cross haired dialled date one with an original bracelet and a 565 movement inside for under 300 UKP..buy it!

6. DIV Mar 13, 2018

Thank you guys! Great explanations.

7. chipsotoole Mar 13, 2018

Actually I'll revise that...good one as mentioned under 400 is still a bargain....prices are on the move!