Forums Latest Members
  1. tellrep23 Jun 10, 2014

Hello, new member here...

I've long been interested in vintage omega's and have been considering taking the plunge on a constellation until i recently same across the cosmic moonphase watch and may have changed my mind. My hope is to get the opinion of the experts here around the pieces I have found that are currently for sale....

this one looks fairly worn... http://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/ss-moonphase-triple-date-vintage-cosmic-24711--id2311575.htm

this one looks like it has had a fair amount of work done to it and I am not sure if I believe it is 100% authentic... http://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/cosmic-handaufzug-mit-mondphase-gebraucht--id2331223.htm

Now I am not buying this as an investment..if I need to sell it down the road and can get a few more bucks, great...but my intention would be to own and wear it for long time. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

2. fjf Jun 10, 2014

Those are usually either damaged or repainted dials. For some reason they do not age well, and you should be VERY careful before spending a lot in a nice one. Make sure you know what you are buying. Thats why I dont own one of those...yet....:unsure:

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 10, 2014

The flush day/date pushers evidently allow moisture and dirt in to excess, leading to damage and consequent repair/repaint.
    Unless you are in a dust and moisture free environment, I wouldn't consider this as a wearer except on special, dry and clean occasions.
    If your budget allows, Jaeger LeCoultre, JLC, has a watch that is very similar in appearance, strikingly beautiful and more durable.
    However, it is priced accordingly.:whistling:

images.jpg

4. tellrep23 Jun 10, 2014

living in NY I am not in a dust free nor am I in a dry climate. I do like the JLC watch very much as well. perhaps I will go that route. Is there any way to avoid the dust or moisture problem or is it universal across this model? This explanation may have steered me away.

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 10, 2014

I am but a sophomore collector, however, the Omega Cosmic Moon Phase (tdmp or triple date moon phase) has been my #1 favorite watch almost from the beginning and I do follow it.
    While I yearn to own a nice one, it would be a resident of my safe, "my precious" only coming out for coronations and we don't have many of those here in Missouri.

I know of no exceptions to their delicate nature and the learned cadre here will speak out loudly if there are.

A moderator here, SpikiSpikester, has a beautiful JLC tdmp and if he sees this thread, perhaps he will grace us with a photo.

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 10, 2014

[​IMG]Here is mine
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/ورود-کیهانی-فاز-ماه.3990/

like UncleBuck this one doesn't get much wear, even though it is very pretty. If you want an everyday wear watch, don't go one of these. If your budget allows, go the JLC. I think there are also speedmaster moon phases?

the other issue with these watches is that parts are very hard to come by, and most of them are not running well, because of the moisture issues.

Darlinboy likes this.
  7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 11, 2014

Unlike its vintage ancestor, Modern cosmic moonphase such as JLC showed by unclebuck is better designed and manufactured, thus has much better water and dust resistance. If you plan to wear it often, I suggest choose modern instead vintage cosmic moonphase.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  8. tellrep23 Jun 11, 2014

thanks very much for all of the input. i don't want to constantly worry about the internal condition of the watch. I will likely go with the JLC when the time comes.

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 11, 2014

I think vintage watches in general will be more fragile than their modern counterparts. IMO a vintage omega TDMP in good shape and properly serviced can be worn as a daily wearer provided you refrain from getting it wet or you have very sweaty wrists or you live in a very humid environment and spend much of your time outdoors.

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 11, 2014

That certainly limits one's life to protect the watch ;)

11. tellrep23 Jun 11, 2014

yes, those are a lot of considerations. I have an early 1960s rolex that has proved to be quite sturdy for it's age.

12. NT931 Jun 22, 2014

Hi Tellrep, JLC's Master Moon also has a black dialled version if you like. Here's mine.
    JLC Master Moon brown strap S.jpg

Both the silver and black versions are lovely, and not infrequently available on the pre-owned market. Another member, Adam, has the newer version (now called Master Calendar) in rose gold, and it's stunning. TDMPs are lovely but quite formal.