Forums Latest Members
  1. bigsom Sep 10, 2016

Just picked up this cosmic diver. What do you guys think about this dial. After receiving it... I have questions as to its originality. Couldn't tell so much in the listing photos.

IMG-20160910-WA0011.jpg
  2. bigsom Sep 11, 2016

Little less concerned about the dial. Looked a lot of pictures online and it seems that some dials from this Era retain the lume color in bright light. I just expected the lume to be more yellow. Perhaps it has to do with the underlying metal marker.

3. flame Speedmaster Neil Sep 11, 2016

Hi

Great underrated pieces these sm60's....my Father in law's example has a very similar look to yours with the dial text & lume colouring.

And here is my old example too:

[​IMG]

Best - Neil

4. bigsom Sep 11, 2016

Hi Neil,

Thank you for your reply. I've seen both texts with and without the 60m/200ft.

Looking at your photo, it does seem that the marker lume color is influenced by the underlying metal marker and doesn't yellow the same way the speedy or sm120 sm300 does.

Edited Sep 11, 2016
  5. Edward53 Sep 11, 2016

The dial looks absolutely fine. I have one of these and the dials usually survive quite well. The bezel on yours is a service replacement - note the elongated numbers compared to Neil's.

They were underrated a year or two ago but are catching up. Mine was £406 on ebay in 2013 which seemed about right then, but now they seem to be going for £600-800. They're also being BIN'd for £1K+ but I don't see any selling at that price.

6. bigsom Sep 11, 2016

Hi Edward,

Thank you for your thoughts. I also have to original bezel which was replaced as you mentioned in your post (attached image). To my eye it appears genuine and original to the watch, what do you think?

As for the price, it seems I overpaid. I find the vintage market so hard to nail down in price. Thanks again for your reply.

Edit - quick question for you. Does your bezel click or rotate smoothly (but tight)?

IMG-20160910-WA0015.jpg
  7. Edward53 Sep 11, 2016

The bezel on mine is smooth but very tight. I don't ever turn it as I have no need, and anyway if I'm not careful it comes off (it is on a spring and you can snap it back on). Is this the watch you posted a few days ago and were thinking about buying? I don't know why the original bezel was replaced as it looks like a very good one. There is something about the way these bezels age that makes them look as if the top is flaking off, but in fact the surface is smooth and it is just discoloration - almost looks as if water has got under the surface.

Whatever you paid, the value will probably catch up in a year or two and anyway these are really nice outdoors watches. I wore mine a lot until the crown came off and I haven't got round to having it fixed. I've since acquired a Watchco SM300 565 which cost a hell of a lot more than the Cosmic and has more or less become my daily wearer, but the 2000 has great 70s style and I'm sure it will get some used once I've had it repaired.

EDIT: Here is mine. The Omega symbol is bright, not black as it appears here:

New 020.jpg

8. bigsom Sep 11, 2016

Hi Edward,

Thanks for posting your pic. Its not the same watch I posted a few days. It's a different one. I was hoping there might be a way to wear this on a strap instead of the bracelet.

Yes the bezel on mine may have been replaced just to preserve the original, not sure. The original one looks great in my opinion. I might have it switched back.

I feel much better about the lume on the dial after seeing a few of the examples here (including yours, thanks!).

About the bezel popping off, I hope it doesn't happen to me!

9. flame Speedmaster Neil Sep 11, 2016

Hi

Yes , the inserts on these have a tendency to delaminate giving this ' milky ' type look. Be careful who Service's it as they are a ' front loader ' and an inexperienced Watchmaker may well butcher it in the process of opening it !

Personally , I would highly recommend Swiss Time Services located in the UK.

Best - Neil

bigsom and Edward53 like this.
  10. zambo Sep 11, 2016

Here's mine that I collected a few bits for and overhauled a couple of years back. They are a very under-rated watch in my opinion also and I wouldn't worry about the money side of things - it will catch up before you know it. My bezel is quite tight as well but as others have also commented, I don't turn mine at all.

It's a nice timepiece and quite hefty with the bracelet. And as you can see from my avatar, they wear quite nicely in terms of size on the wrist, though my wrist is only about 7.5" in the old scale.

IMG_60m.jpg
    Edward53, bigsom and flame like this.
  11. Delroyb Sep 12, 2016

Never seen this model before but now I have I want one! Very cool.