Forums Latest Members
  1. Cfcboy Mar 21, 2016

I recently purchased a SMP and I understand that you can request the actual certificate from OMEGA.

Can anyone confirm this please ?

Thanks

meganfox17 likes this.
  2. meganfox17 Mar 22, 2016

Edited Mar 22, 2016
  3. Jyunte Mar 24, 2016

I got this email from Omega today:

===== BEGIN QUOTE =====
    Dear xxxxx,

We thank you for your request of March 23rd, 2016 and are pleased to learn that you acquired a new OMEGA Seamaster Planet Ocean Professional watch recently and we take this opportunity to thank you for the confidence you have placed in our brand. We are convinced that you will enjoy wearing this fine OMEGA timepiece and that it will give you excellent service for many years to come.

We shall gladly provide the official COSC certificate for your chronometer watch, upon receipt of a copy of the OMEGA international warranty card which must be dated, fully and correctly completed and stamped by an official OMEGA dealer. The copy can be sent either by e-mail (scan to[email protected]) or by fax (++41 32 343 9855). At the same time, please indicate your full address to which the certificate can be sent after receipt.

The COSC document will be requested from the official Swiss Chronometer Testing Institute and, as of 1 June 2010, issued against a payment of Swiss francs CHF 100.--. Pre-payment can be made either by credit card (may we kindly ask you to let us have the name, expiration date, security code of 3 or 4 digits and the number of your credit card so as to charge your card account) or by bank transfer to Crédit Suisse, 2504 Biel – Swift / BIC: CRESCHZZ80A:

in Euro to account CH13 0483 5066 9655 0200 0
    in CHF to account CH47 0483 5066 9655 0100 0
    in USD to account CH83 0483 5066 9655 0200 1

We hope to have been of assistance to you and would like to thank you for your trust shown in our brand.

Kind regards,

Your OMEGA team.

===== END QUOTE =====

As of this evening, 100 Swiss Francs, is $102 US.

So, yes, you can get your COSC Certificate, but it'll cost you.

karalhoin likes this.
  4. Cfcboy Mar 24, 2016

Thanks.Apparently it used to be free. Did you bother in the end ?

Cheers

5. karalhoin Mar 24, 2016

Well that's a pity. I'm about to get my first Omega and was counting on that certificate to be free. Definitely not going to pay that much for it. The certificate should be included in the default documentation anyway. Plus of course I'd send them credit card data by email... :-D

Jyunte likes this.
  6. Jyunte Mar 24, 2016

I haven't, yet, and kinda doubt I will. $100 for a certificate that really doesn't do anything for *me*. My PO works fine without it!

7. Rockmastermike Mar 24, 2016

if it's a keeper probably not worth it, but a seller might realize a positive ROI?
    for potential buyers it might make a difference depending on the "right" watch.

Jyunte likes this.
  8. Jyunte Mar 24, 2016

True. I think that if I were going to sell it, I'd consider purchasing the certificate just before putting the watch on the market. The only down side with waiting until you're preparing to sell, is, "what if they stop providing this service in the future?"

I've used the Watch Check app on my phone, and even with the inaccuracies of having to manually press the button on the app when the second hand on my watch hits the 12 o'clock position, after each 30 day period, my watch has a standard deviation of +1.8 seconds per day. I'm ok with that, and it cost me nothing!

9. billyblue Mar 24, 2016

Does the certificate only state that the watchs movement has been successfully tested or does it have actual results (+1/-2 sec, ...) on it? If the first one I wouldn't bother at all, then it has no more substance than the included red chronometer card.

(This is going to be much easier with METAS as you can get the actual results logging in online for free.)

Jyunte likes this.
  10. Jyunte Mar 24, 2016

Based on what I see on the image linked to by MeganFox (first reply in thread), I believe it has the actual results of the tests.

billyblue likes this.
  11. Jyunte Mar 24, 2016

Here's what the certificate looks like, based on the article linked to, above.

[​IMG]

meganfox17 likes this.
  12. Jminchoi Mar 24, 2016

In the end it's just a piece of paper. Definitely not worth 100 CHF. Maybe ask them to email you a PDF for free? :D

meganfox17 and Jyunte like this.
  13. billyblue Mar 24, 2016

Ah, now I see, thank you. Well at least it gives more detailed information.

But keep in mind that this results are for the movement only and deviate strongly (at least it is highly pobable) from the movement now that it is in the case and in use for some months/years.

meganfox17 and Jyunte like this.
  14. meganfox17 Mar 24, 2016

Hi @Jyunte

The asking price is rather steep IMHO for a COSC cert. 20-30 bucks i guess it's fair. Now everyone's talkin bout METAS cert from the CEO Stephen Urquhart to the people on the street . [​IMG][​IMG]

It's Your Call @Jyunte . If you can afford it why not...? but dont falsify one ok ?

Edited Mar 24, 2016
    Jyunte likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 24, 2016

Please send me all your worthless pieces of paper that look like this thanks:

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

(Would have used Canadian here but ours are plastic).

abrod520, meganfox17 and Jyunte like this.
  16. meganfox17 Mar 24, 2016

The Mighty Greenback [emoji7]
    The Very defination of Paradox !
    The most counterfeited bill in the world but also the World's most difficult to Fake !

Edited Mar 24, 2016
    Miss_Bourginskay likes this.
  17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 24, 2016

Don't let Al fool you that paper is not worthless yet,

It's the plastic that's dubious. :rolleyes: