Forums Latest Members
  1. chronos Oct 24, 2016

Hello all
    A friend of mine actually lives in Cortébert and she is looking for a Cortébert-watch for a long time.
    As I spotted a nice one, I bought it and gave it to her birthday. The seller said it was NOS and it even still had its price tag on it. No scratches or marks visible. :thumbsup:
    It is a small manual wound watch for women, the case is gold plated

Unfortunately, I have no clue about the year or decade in which it was produced.
    All I found out is that Spirofix got patented in the year 1953 and that the company Cortébert closed in the 70ies.
    Can you help me approximately dating it?

Unfortunately I only have the seller's picture as I've already handed over the watch.

Thank you very much in advance!
    Best,
    Stephan

cortebert-damenuhr-spirofix.jpg 857794240_2_Big.jpg 857794240_3_Big.jpg Screenshot_20161024-122551.png 081.jpg

2. chronos Oct 26, 2016

Nobody?

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 26, 2016

Unfortunately the minor brands from the early years don't have many followers so the pool of knowledge is very shallow.

Even more so when the company records are non-existent and there is no "archive" like Longines/Omega et al to help with the detective work.

All I can offer is the opinion that the watch is rather attractive from an aesthetic perspective, and attractive to me for the technical oddity.

Cheers

Jim

chronos likes this.
  4. Vitezi Oct 26, 2016

Without some sort of serial number production table, it's a challenge to pin down the production date of a particular watch.

If you happen to know the caliber, you can guess at a range of production dates using Dr. Ranfft's database, by searching for the particular Cortebert movement in your watch:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk

Or, you might get lucky and find the watch model in a catalog or advertisement. As you have found, the Spirofix regulator was well advertised by Cortebert, such as this one from 1953:
    [​IMG]
    (thanks)

Fortunately, Cortebert was a prolific advertiser. You might be able to find dial design cues - such as a change in logos or font styles - that correlates to a date on a vintage advertisement. That would help you further narrow the range of production dates.

chronos likes this.
  5. dx009 Oct 26, 2016

It's a 1960s watch. Can't estimate precisely but maybe mid 1960s.

chronos likes this.
  6. chronos Oct 26, 2016

Great!
    Thank you all very much for your help! :thumbsup:
    I really appreciate all your inputs!

Have a nice day / evening / morning, depending on where you live :)

Best,
    Stephan

7. damevski100 Nov 28, 2020

Where did you find this newspaper?