Forums Latest Members
  1. VintageUhren Nov 10, 2019

Hi,
    Today I pulled out my 1970 Omega Geneve (Ref.166.0117) and I realized that i got a bit of corrosion on the hands and the indices...
    Is that something to worry about?
    Is there any way of "cleaning" that?
    If no/if its bad for the watch...where can I find a new Day Date dial?
    Thanks,
    Paul

IMG_20191110_131849.jpg
  2. Dan S Nov 10, 2019

This generally comes from moisture entering the watch over time, and is mainly a cosmetic issue. Personally, if the movement is ok, I would leave the dial and hands alone. The degradation is unfortunate, but not bad enough to warrant total replacement IMO. Just be very careful in the future to keep the watch completely dry.

Passover likes this.
  3. alexei.joukovski Nov 11, 2019

I'd suggest a tiny cotton ended swab (cousins sell these)- possibly with a bit of polishing compound or wd40 (tiny tiny tiny amounts).
    You can also try some rodico (glorified blu-tack). I've cleaned up dial indices before.
    Cheesr

4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Nov 11, 2019

Please, PLEASE never ever get WD-40 near any watch or other mechanical thing whatsoever. It is a water displacer only, and when it gets into tight places, it turns into glue. Machinists use it to lock shaft keys.

I wish that junk was never put into spray cans.

Tom

omegasaso12 and connieseamaster like this.
  5. alexei.joukovski Nov 11, 2019

Calm down - I was referring to a microscopic amount being used as a lubricant for the cotton to polish the metal.
    I'm not talking about spraying or dousing the dial.
    Sounds like someone had a bad experience once...Yikes...
    [​IMG]

martinw likes this.
  6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Nov 12, 2019

No thanks, I'm not smearing that junk on a watch dial and neither should you. You'll never get it off and when it turn rancid (and it will) it will discolor worse than they already are.

Obviously you can do what you want with your own watch.

Tom