Forums Latest Members
  1. McKinley Oct 15, 2017

Hello all. Another NOOB question here. I have tried to do my own research on the question of, which is correct when and on what models, DeVille, Cosmic, etc and year. I have Googled "correct S on Seamaster" and tried to use that search here, but did not find a thread that answered my questions. If I have merely missed it, could someone point it out to me? Is there some rule of thumb about which years, models, etc are correct with each type of S? I believe I have seen original dials, again, with a very novice eye, with both types of S's from the same year. Is the difference, merely the dial maker that was contracted? At first I thought all the early years of Seamasters with the rounded S's were re-dials, but now I am thinking that was just a newbie misconception. Can someone please help a NOOB out? I really have tried to learn on my own, but wasn't successful. Thank you in advance for any replies and help I am given.

Mck

2. Buck2466 Oct 15, 2017

The coat hanger S ended in the very early 60's. Like 1962.

McKinley likes this.
  3. mikechi22 Oct 15, 2017

I stumbled on the same answer above from a more expert member. He mentioned that there was a thread on here on this very topic, but I could never turn it up! I wish it were a sticky one!

McKinley likes this.
  4. Gordon Heavyfoot Oct 16, 2017

I recommend you systematically read through all past posts. Font types overlapped a lot and there a few anomalous ones thrown in just to try to trick the up-and-coming vintage enthusiast. Many times it isn't simply just a matter of font type when evaluating the originality of a watch and there are myriad excellent posts detailing analyses by the experts here that touch on that aspect but aren't limited by it, so it's important to read everything. Eventually you'll start looking at the totality of a watch instead of developing tunnel-vision. As many have said on here before, there are more exceptions to vintage watches than there are rules. Good luck!

McKinley likes this.