Forums Latest Members
  1. masviken Dec 13, 2016

Hi,

I bought a 145.022 that seems to be from 1985 according to the serial number. Unfortunately, some previous amateur watch maker had broken the dial feet and decided it was an excellent idea to glue the dial to the movement so my watch guy had to spend some time removing it. The (what to my eyes looked like a) beautifully patinated dial could not be rescued, and the hands had also been tightened previously and he thought it might be hard to refit them and still guarantee that they would stay on. So instead of replacing the dial and hands with new parts, I'm now on the hunt for a correct vintage dial and hands.

I have done some research and my conclusion is that everything matches a 1985 Speedmaster, except for the chrono second that looks like a 321 hand. When looking at dials in the FS section, i found both C3 and C4 dials – which one is correct for me? Do you find anything else wrong with my watch? Any other recommendations for a noob? :)

The movement image is pre service, and the bracelet is not mine.

Thanks!

IMG_1335.jpg IMG_1532.jpg IMG_1794.JPG
  2. Slo084 Dec 13, 2016

Sorry to hear about the dial. You are correct about the chrono hands, the drop end hands are normally seen on the 145.012. I would recommend checking the bay or on this forum for the correct dial and hands. They do come up from time to time, but it takes a bit of time to find the right one and also not too beat up. The dial you should look for is the non-step dial with the tall & long "S" and "R" in speedmaster. Good luck!

3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 13, 2016

Which one?
    The long R above the A or between the A and L?

4. Slo084 Dec 13, 2016

Assuming his watch is circa 1985. I believe the long R above the A is correct for that year (similar to the picture he posted on the watch pre serviced)

I've only seen the long R between the A and L on ones prior to 1984. I assume that is when the speedmaster script changed.

dennisthemenace likes this.
  5. masviken Dec 13, 2016

Perfect, thanks!

6. cvrle1 Dec 13, 2016

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 13, 2016

I'm surprised no one has offered to buy that hand set. ::popcorn::

masviken likes this.
  8. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 13, 2016

Unfortunately, like a lot of Chucks observations, that has been found to be incorrect.
    Research has moved on a lot since his passing.

cvrle1 likes this.
  9. Slo084 Dec 13, 2016

yeah, so how bad is the dial after removal? Maybe its still salvageable?

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 13, 2016

Dial is nothing special and fairly common. The hands on the other hand...

11. Slo084 Dec 13, 2016

haha true.

12. masviken Dec 14, 2016

Are they less common than 861 hands? I got an offer to trade my chronograph hand for a correct one. Given that mine are in fairly used condition, I thought it might be fair.

13. SpeedTar Dec 14, 2016

The hand set are may be incorrect but looks nicely!!
    It give a look more vintage to the watch, more of that the patina suits very well the dial's one. up to you anyway :)

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 14, 2016

Yes they are far less common then what belongs on your watch. I would source a complete correct set for yours to protect the similar patina on all the hands. I would have assumed the person that wanted the chrono hand would want all of them as they are a nice matched set patina wise. You have a stellar full set of early-mid model hands.

masviken likes this.
  15. masviken Dec 14, 2016

Amazing, thanks! So I guess they're all from a 312, I can't really tell the other hands a part from 861 hands. Maybe I'll just sell the whole set then.

16. masviken Dec 15, 2016

I found a vintage replacement dial and a correct chronograph second hand, but I'm still looking for matching tritium hour and minute hands if anyone has a pair to sell me :)

Slo084 likes this.