Forums Latest Members

Correct bracelet and end links for 145.020 soccer timer and watchmaker tools for newbies?

1. Ozawa Dec 23, 2018

Hello dear OF members

I recently took the risk of buying a 145.020 soccer timer without seeing the movement picture (I know I shouldn't have, but everything else of the watch looks good to me and I think I can return it if the movement has anything wrong). I actually asked the movement picture but the seller said he couldn't get it open due to the risk of damaging it. Here is the watch:
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg

While waiting for it to arrive, I thought I should prepare something for the new watch.

One thing is changing to the original bracelet. I think I wouldn't like to wear the watch with the band it comes with and I've been searching the right bracelet and end links here on OF. After reading through several threads, especially these ones:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-seamaster-soccer-timer-145-020-opinions-please.13065/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/help-with-seamaster-soccer-145-020-bracelet-service.2362/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/opinion-on-a-soccer-timer.33708/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/sea...acelet-or-leather-band-recommendations.80916/
    Can I make a conclusion that all of 1117/549, 1170/625, 1162/172 are correct bracelet and end links for the soccer timer? Unfortunately, after searching on Ebay and Ofrei, I got no luck with 549 and 625 end links but found some 1162/172 for about 350 usd. Is this my best option right now? Is there any other place I can find 1117/549 or 1170/625?

Another thing is probably the first thing I would like to do after receiving the watch, open the case back and see if I would like to keep it. I know a local watchmaker who can open it for me but I always wanted to do a little bit of tinkering on my own. Since both of opening the case back and changing bracelet require right tools, I would like to ask recommendations about minimum set of tools for just opening case backs, changing and adjusting bracelets please.

And last, from what I learned here during the last several months, I should wear my vintage piece only after having it serviced. I'm based in Beijing, China and I've not seen any reputable watchmaker in this area mentioned on OF. Initially, I wanted to use the Buy-with-Confidence service from the Watch Guy UK but the seller refused to do it that way. Any recommendations about where to have it serviced in this area? Thanks in advance!

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 23, 2018

Sorry, but if you open the caseback you HAVE to keep it!

Nobody in their right mind will take back if it's been opened and many sellers have small indicators to tell if anyone has tampered with the case.

You can do what you like with watches you own, and there are many posts on our forums you can use for guidance.

For a start, a good springbar tool is essential and there are many to choose from.

If you MUST open your watches, I suggest something like this to prevent damage.

[​IMG]

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ben...tools-5700-big-head-6CM-head/32762198925.html

Be aware, if you don't know exactly what you're doing, it can be a very expensive way to learn about watches.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 23, 2018

I can't say anything about the quality of this Chinese knock off of the Bergeon 5700, but I use the real one every day and it's fantastic.

Cheers, Al

kov and Spacefruit like this.
  4. Ozawa Jan 30, 2019

Just an update...
    It took pretty long but I think it's worth the wait :D
    The case seems to be unpolished, chronograph function works and resets perfectly and it's gaining about 30s/d. I put a 22mm rally strap ordered from BandR Bands on it and have been enjoying wearing it.
    IMG_20190127_164753.jpg
    IMG_20190113_171421.jpg
    After I opened the case back, I found the gasket was already in powder so probably hasn't been serviced for too long? Functionally, the watch works without any problem but do I need to have it serviced soon? Thank you OF!

5. Sherbie Jan 30, 2019

Yes, i would service it asap

30s/day variation is too much for me, coupled with the fact that you mentioned that the gasket has turned to powder, in all probability, thats also now in the movement

Ozawa likes this.
  6. Magnix Jan 31, 2019

The 1117/549 and 1170/625 are the correct bracelets :). The 1162/172 is for Omega watches which use straight endlinks (example Omega Flightmaster)

I have a pair of 549 endlinks if you want! But then you have to find a 1117 bracelet..

And I love the Soccer Timer :D Congrats!

Passover and watchyouwant like this.
  7. Ozawa Jan 31, 2019

Thanks! I can pretty much tell that by your avatar :D
    I got no luck when searching the correct set of bracelet/endlink when I started this thread but both sets came up recently on Ebay.
    Also ordered my Extract of the Archives today, really love Soccer Timer!

Magnix likes this.
  8. bama2141 Jan 31, 2019

You might try to demagnetize the watch to address the fast running condition. I’ve experienced several cases of watches being magnetized during transit due to heavy magnetic fields in airports or postal systems. A cheap, ebay demagnetizer is a worthwhile investment in my opinion.

watchyouwant likes this.
  9. TimtimeIntl Jan 31, 2019

Really cool watch. I have a 1117/549 bracelet if you did not get one yet. But I am a newbie and it may take a year b4 I have enough posts to allow me to sell:) I'm kind of a Speedmaster bracelet nut and the 1117 came along during my searches. Why do you want tools? Do you plan on watchmaking or just changing bands? Back gaskets turn to goo and you can carefully dig it out and replace but it is best to remove movement, dig and clean in ultrasound which is a level beyond replacing bands. Anyone can learn but take care and start on something a lot less valuable than this great watch.

10. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jan 31, 2019

mine has a 1170/625

ahsposo likes this.
  11. Ozawa Jan 31, 2019

Ahhh I have not considered about this, will definitely try that. Thank you for your advice!

12. Ozawa Jan 31, 2019

When I started this thread I was just planning to do some easy stuff like opening caseback and changing bands. While waiting for this watch to arrive, I watched videos, talked to members here and realized I could do a bit more myself without having to take my watch every time to the watchmaker.

Now apart from some tools for opening casebacks and changing bands, I've also got a cheap timegrapher, lubricant box for back gaskets. Though I've seen some videos about replacing gaskets, currently I don't think I'm ready to move on to ultrasound cleaning anything. I know I'm still far from any proper watchmaking but maybe a step at a time I could be there someday. Thank you for your tips, I'll never experiment with this watch :D

Magnix likes this.
  13. Magnix Feb 1, 2019

This is my 145.020 with 1117/549 bracelet

0CE5FAF6-924E-4B63-A9C1-94AAA7ADD5C7.jpeg

14. TimtimeIntl Feb 1, 2019

I don't know if libraries carry them anymore but in 1995 I used to check out books on watchmaking and learned quite a lot. Then there are a few good ones to purchase (can always check NAWCC sources) that are recommended. You do not need to go any further than a little knowledge but as a mechanical engineer I found it fascinating. I was befriended by a local watchmaker and got to know local jewelers and got a lot of help and tools along the way. I feel I'll never be great but the two LeCoultre Futurematics I put together yesterday are now running well. LeCoultre and Omegas are my top choices in watches (mostly vintage) but the Rolexes I have owned over the years and now sold (2 boys in college) would currently be worth more than what I paid for my house. As to special editions I wish I had my 20 and 25 year anniversary Speedmasters back! They are still an undervalued watch IMO.

15. Ozawa Feb 12, 2019

Lucky you! Unfortunately I recently got email from Omega saying my order of Extract of the Archives was cancelled...
    OMEGA EOA.jpg

Is this normal? I read on OF before that filling both movement no. and case ref. could end up getting cancelled so I ordered the Extract without filling the case ref. and still...

16. Mr.Twelve Nov 7, 2019

Good morning , i’ve found a 1170 bracelet for my soccer timer and i’ve bought it.
    I’m searching for the 625 end links. Are them changed in the serial 626 available in spare parts? Can i find it or a correct alternative by the service or i need to find a 625 pair ?
    Thnx

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 7, 2019

026ST625 are still available from Omega - ask a boutique or service center for them.

Mr.Twelve likes this.
  18. Mr.Twelve Nov 24, 2019

completed!!!

6CCF076F-DAF0-4B10-A25D-A60B55D9F450.jpeg
    Magnix, wagudc, Longbow and 3 others like this.
  19. killer67 Mar 16, 2020

I missed an 1117 with 549s which sold for $677 on eBay. They don’t come up very often but keep checking here and WUS

fepos likes this.
  20. Lanfra Jun 11, 2020

Hi, I have a beautiful 1117 bracelet without the endlinks, would you be interested?

Scottwilliams808 likes this.