Forums Latest Members

Correct Box For A 1971 Speedmaster Professional Ref. 145.022-69 "Racing Dial"?

1. sbenus May 15, 2016

Hey everyone, hoping you can help me out. I'm wondering what the correct box is for a 1971 speedmaster professional with a racing dial. Is it any of the ones attached here? Cheers!

106865-37f16ec5641e5105cbd8a75e9533c887.jpg e7a333a5b07d66d49afb25a1dc606b21.jpg P1080657.JPG Speedmaster145022Aki1.jpg TwoSpeedies012.jpg Unknown-2.jpeg
    Ron_W, Ti22 and omegastar like this.
  2. omegastar May 15, 2016

3. Tom Dick and Harry May 16, 2016

There wasn't a specific box for the racing dials as they weren't a 'special edition' (probably not what you want to hear if you are the proud owner of one of the Phillips watches and paid the hammer price, which I suspect by your tag image you might be). These are indeed rare watches and many many forum members (including myself) would love to get their paws on one but they are stiller regularly produced Speedies simply with a special dial and by special I mean very few have surfaced indicating much lower production numbers in those years than the regular black dial.

The box would most likely have been a standard red box or the crater. Your images 1,3 ,4 you show are of mid 1970's and late 1970's Omega boxes and as such they wouldn't have been available on a 145.02-71, unless (which is plausible) it was sold later in the 1970's. Image 2 could be plausible but that box set tended to be seen in the mid and late 1960's and not very regularly with Speedmasters (although it has been known)

I am sorry to say that Omega were not precious with their boxes unless it was a special edition watch like the 125 or the Marine Chronometer, for run of the mill watches (and please take no offence but the Speedmaster was a run of the mil tool watch and it's price reflected this) they tended to be supplied in one of the generic watch box or around that period (whilst omega was as it is to these day basking in Space glory) a crater box.

Your best bet is to find a red leatherette box (see my recent post on Speedmaster red boxes) , this will cost you considerably less (around £150 without documents wallets or instructions up t £550 for a full set with blank paper and period Speedy instructions). Crater boxes still regularly change hands for north of £500

Davidt likes this.
  4. Tom Dick and Harry May 16, 2016

5. sbenus May 16, 2016

Thanks so much Tom Dick for your detailed response. I had done the research on the racing dials and was aware of the low production numbers and history. Agree that the hammer price was a little on the higher side but as this will probably be a lifetime keeper for me I'm not too worried about that. Getting a correct box is merely a nice little bonus if I can find one. Your information will definitely be helpful for this. Agree that these were just "regular" Omegas when new the same way that Rolexes with special dials "Paul Newman" were just regular Daytonas and even considered junk back in the day. Funny how things change.

Best Regards!

6. Tom Dick and Harry May 16, 2016

My pleasure and huge congratulations on your purchase, it is a wonderful watch and a sound investment! I have a few speedies and love them all! Also nice to have you in the community, please post some pics of the watch when you have it, we'd all love to see it

Let me know if I can help with a box set. I would advise you match it with a red box and period red wallet and hold out for an instruction book

As you say like the Newman and many other watches, small numbers in production terms or poor sales often result in watches being the most valuable!

7. sbenus May 16, 2016

Thanks, will definitely post when it arrives. sending PM

8. josephgsy May 22, 2017

anyone knows what's the correct box that came with a late numbered 145.022-69?

The_Walrus likes this.