Forums Latest Members

Controlled or uncontrolled watch passion - which is it?

1. blubarb Oct 12, 2015

Definitely an impulsive thread - but do you theme your watch collection? Or doesn't it matter? What boundaries & restrictions (besides financial) do you have in place to guide your collecting endeavours?
    - how do you control the passion? I am afraid I am uncontrolled at present. :)

serveimage-1.jpg

Edited Oct 12, 2015
  2. ulackfocus Oct 12, 2015

Theme: buy what I like, don't buy what I don't like. You'll learn to meter your buying frenzies eventually.

....... or go broke. :p

ps - Monty Python references are perfect around here, second only to squirrel / rodent references. :thumbsup: After dinner Piaget, sir? Wafer thin!

3. lillatroll Oct 12, 2015

Controlled with a little help by my wife, well, I said I was only going to buy roughly one watch a year. I am just about to buy number 5, she said I could buy it if I promise not to buy any more until 2017. Of course I said ok, I am not sure I will be keeping that promise but I think that as long as I tried to keep it then hopefully thats good enough.

Edited Oct 13, 2015
    blubarb likes this.
  4. Hijak Oct 12, 2015

"Ah, a Bucket for Monsieur"::puke::

blubarb likes this.
  5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 12, 2015

It's probably best for Monsieur Creosote to wear a dive watch. :eek:

As for the OP's question... I have no collection, hence no theme. The watches I buy are "stuff I like", which can (and has) change over time. Impulse buys remain a factor, though less so lately.

Good times!

blubarb likes this.
  6. Ludi Oct 12, 2015

What ?!? No more "type 20" appeal then ?!? ... joking of course :p

Back to the initial question, someone here said recently "watches are not Pokemon, you don't have to catch them all" . Very inspirational don't you think ;)

7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 12, 2015

I'm leaning toward "controlled," but that's a bit like asking Volkswagen if their diesel motors are efficient...

RawArcher, blubarb and Darlinboy like this.
  8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Oct 12, 2015

I lasted a long time with some basic watches...then I inherited a few great watches...then I got the bug (or I joined this forum:rolleyes: and I started buying indiscriminately anything that looked the part.

a little time doing this and eventually I realized that I had great watches but no spine to them, not as much satisfaction...I slowly started to sell the ones that where not being worn as much and focusing on Limited Editions, Birth year watches (for family members) and then I started to get repeat models on vintage and modern versions (First and last s to speak) within that I keep some notable watches that I just like. Period.

To be honest I don't know if I have a theme or if I just make one to justify purchases. Like "Oh yeah that's a great 14060 but I have a birth year 5512...but here, my 5512 is the first triple lock crown 4 line no date sub and the 14060 is the last 4 line, triple lock, aluminum bezel so it makes PEEERFEECT sense to get both!!!" or "my 1675 pepsi is amazing but delicate, but if I have this 16710 that is solid and sturdy I can wear it all the time and swim with it and be a little less careful..now since the 1675 is a birth year for my brother then the 16710 should be a birth year for my son. yeah, perfectly justified!!!" And so forth.

But I do like my collection.

Edited Oct 12, 2015
  9. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 12, 2015

why did I think I needed to see the Mr. Creosote full scene, so close to dinner time...
    "Eets waffer theen."
    :(

blubarb likes this.
  10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 12, 2015

I just buy what I like. It took me a fair amount of time to figure out what I like. Really no theme. I think the Enablers helped to make sure I got a "great" watch and I thank the many that I was able to message and get feedback on before I purchased.

blubarb likes this.
  11. Audley Yung Oct 13, 2015

I'm definitely a controlled type of guy. Once there are too many luxury watches lying around togheter in a box, it just looks cheap to me. I'm a fan of selling and rotating out pieces every few years or months even, with a couple staple pieces that I have an emotional attachment as permanent pieces.

blubarb likes this.
  12. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 13, 2015

I think that it is safe to say that I might lean towards favouring speedies but I don't know if I could call it controlled:unsure:

Eric_navi and blubarb like this.
  13. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Oct 13, 2015

I like to think my type is most aptly described as "controlled chaos." I do a lot of work up front to research specific pieces that interest me and then scan the market regularly to see what's out there. Knowing that I've put in the work, I can move swiftly and decisively if I see what I want. I also try to identify certain brands or models that pack a lot of bang for the buck / seem under appreciated by the current market. Which explains why I don't own a single Rolex out of my 13 pieces at the moment.

It looks controlled on the surface, but it also explains why I have a TON of redundancy in my current collection. I get comfortable with certain brands/references, and when I see a great example at a bargain/reasonable price, I pounce on it. The worst that happens is I move on from it in the near term and make a little money. The best is I find a piece that I keep for the rest of my life.

blubarb likes this.
  14. blubarb Oct 13, 2015

I know what you mean, I have 6 Speedies in the "collection" and growing. ;)

15. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Oct 14, 2015

Unfortunately I am controlled by my budget, but when I see something I like my head immediately spins to what can I sell to fund that. I have ended up with a couple of more expensive (to me at least) pieces that I don't want to sell, this means they get worn regularly. And I'm now fishing in the lower priced pool which is challenging and fun.

blubarb and constellationM like this.
  16. constellationM Oct 14, 2015

I'm completely out of control and I just cannot say no to a pretty face.
    Particularly vintage. If it has a ♎️ symbol on it - I'm in trouble!

blubarb likes this.
  17. happytapy Oct 14, 2015

Slide rule theme. Yeah I know, very nurdy, but it has its rewards. Minimise Quartz as much as possible, unless they are rare or easy to find parts for.

Mostly mechanical and from any maker. Fortunately, there are only about 80 or so makers of this watch type. [emoji33]. So my selection is limited and that means my finances don't suffer as much.

I say this knowing full well I am now addicted to 'Pilot Line' watches. So, look out SMP 2 to 4.5 & Flightmaster! [emoji12]

blubarb likes this.
  18. valjoux72 Oct 14, 2015

Looking for a nice collection of "history of vintage chronographs", starting early (1930) till the end of 1970. Different complications, different movements, on/two pusher... At the beginning focused on Valjoux movements, with increasing knowledge field gets wider...
    Lacking an early El primero and an early Seiko at the moment, I hope to find them next year...

Unfortunately/Thanks god there a lot of nice dresser and diver out there... that is where the problem begins;)
    Biggest problem for me are watches around 300 - 1000 $, where you still find some hidden gems/bargains but money runs out of your pockets...
    I try to find interesting really lowballers from "unknown" brands, which is fun too.

Next to a handful of graal watches I´ve around 24 pieces in my collection at the time.
    I´m thinking of stopping to grow but instead replace some pieces through similar style in better shape.

But wait, just have to look for the nice Unver I saw yesterday::facepalm1::

blubarb likes this.
  19. Brench Oct 14, 2015

I have a box of eight. If I want something new, one has to leave. Works pretty ok so far.

blubarb likes this.
  20. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 14, 2015

I admit there will likely be more Type 20s, as those are solidly in the "stuff I like" category. :p

I do, however, refuse to be a collector, as there is less pressure to be knowledgeable. :rolleyes:

blubarb and Hijak like this.