Forums Latest Members

Continuing amateur tinkering adventures - luming hands

1. ChrisN Apr 24, 2015

I sure that @JimInOz put some reluming pictures up but can't find them so, here's my attempts with some Watchco style SM300 hands

I put up a thread a while ago about having bought a C1 lume dial (you get no choice with Omega, order a new dial for a 300 and it may be either C1 or C3) and the big mismatch with the C3 hands. C1 is whiter to look at and is less efficient than C3 so a hand relume was in order. I think C1 matches these bezels better than C3 and has more of a vintage look so if it turns out well will not be too unhappy. [Edited to change the C4 to C3::facepalm2::]

Removed the hands and then cleaned out the existing lume. This is not subtle and just involves supporting the hand on the back and poking the lume out with an oiler or screwdriver, then going over it to ensure all existing lume is removed. The lume will scratch the hands so have to be careful when turning over and laying face down.

Bought one of the Bergeon lume kits in white and the recipe (for success or disaster) goes like this:

Mix equal parts of powder and varnish - the quantity below is about 10-15% of the kit and would do about 3 hand sets but mixing smaller amounts is impractical for me. Look at the size of the mixing bowl they give you...
    lume1.jpg

Leave for 2 hours to thicken. I think this is called proving in the baking world....

Apply to the hands. Basically, pick some of the lume up (it has thickened by now to a slightly thicker consistency than that of egg whites whisked for meringues....) on a thick oiler and sweep it across the underside of the hand in one go. I do this with the hands face up as I don't want it to run through onto the front face. You have to spread it thinly or the hands will become too thick. Too thin and it goes into holes so, there's a skill to this (which I am still learning!)

Now the minute hand is not too hard as it's narrow but the hour hand is very wide and a bit tricky to fill smoothly and evenly at a small thickness. I don't think cake icing ability will help here...

This is the result:
    lume2.jpg

As you can see, lots left over to throw away. A tiny amount has crept onto the front of the hour hand that will clean off later. This is still wet but starts drying quickly when spread thinly and takes about six hours to set fully or you can bake at a low heat...

That hour hand lume may yet sink when it dries so, will see how they look tomorrow and fit to the dial to see if they match.

Cheers, Chris

Edited Apr 25, 2015
    WurstEver, Sameh, pascs and 5 others like this.
  2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 24, 2015

Nicely done Chris.

I'd like to add a tip here for those filled hands that have cracks appear in them.

My Zenith Big Orange had a crack right through the hour hand so I thought I should try to stabilise it. When @stefan serviced my SM300, it had a similar crack in the minute hand and he told me that he put "some glue" on the back of the hands, so I thought, "what can I use on the Orange"? Well, in my fly tying kit, I had a head varnish called Hard as Hull and this has worked perfectly as it doesn't shrink when it sets. The fact that it is a gloss finish doesn't matter as it is on the back of the hands.

It is an American product but available in the UK

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/hard-as-hull-head-cement.html

ChrisN likes this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 24, 2015

Thanks for the write up!

..never thought I'd read the word 'meringues' on these pages, but great job. Looking forward to the results!

4. redpcar Apr 24, 2015

I simply use clear fingernail polish and reduce with acetone to taste. Never had a problem. Looks like an excellent job!

5. ChrisN Apr 25, 2015

I know nothing about baking but my wife's a dab hand so I pick up the terms!

So, this is what I started with, the one on the left is the C1 but with C3 hands and us very mismatched. The one on the right us all C3.
    c1 and c4 in darkness.jpg

I can't get a lume shot at the moment but, there is a colour difference in daylight too. It is subtle but, noticeable on the wrist. The C3 has a green tinge. On the left, now all C1 and on the right, all C3. Not 100% happy with the hour hand but decided to put it back together:
    C1 and C4.jpg

Will post a lume shot later. I didn't change the second hand lume as it is really not a noticeable difference but might revisit that decision....

And, yes, having let the movement down to fit the hands, I started the left one to be within a second of the right.... Got to try and relax more.

Cheers, Chris

Edited Apr 25, 2015
    WurstEver and Sameh like this.
  6. ChrisN Apr 26, 2015

This is what the two look like now. The C1 is on the left and the hands are now a fine match.
    C1 and C3 active.jpg

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 26, 2015

Superb. Well done Chris.

8. KIMBER Apr 26, 2015

Well done Chris. Thanks for sharing this. I've often wondered how to diy hands.

9. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 10, 2015

thx for the interesting writeup

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 10, 2015

Nice job Chris. :thumbsup:

I use a triple oil pot (the large one) for mixing. I also practice on old hands where the lume (radium) is cleaned out by removing with sticky tape to reduce any hazards.

11. vinn2 Nov 11, 2015

wow! i like that kit idea, thanks