Forums Latest Members

Contemporary Squale models: Love'em, hate'em, and why?

1. kip595 Jan 20, 2020

I remember my pops having a Squale cased backup to his beloved Seiko diver back in the day, so I've been intrigued by their new lines for a while. The variety of styles and sizes appeals to me, but it seems everything I read about them speaks either glowingly or in outright disgust. Anyone here familiar with them?

These new editions I am actively intrigued by, as their 20 Atmos line seems like it might be a good, relatively inexpensive fit in both size and style for my fishing and diving now that I'm back on the coast and get out to the water more, as much as I do love my Seamasters.

So do you know'em, love'em, hate'em, don't care, what? I'm open to all opinions as even Dad's old vintage disappeared years ago.

2. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jan 20, 2020

I can't see the brand without thinking TGV watch, kind of a dampener and would probably stop me buying one as stupid as that may sound.

Having said that I wouldn't be against a vintage dive watch with the name on the dial as the case maker.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  3. kip595 Jan 20, 2020

Shows how little social media I pay attention to/watch, I had to look up TGV. While the videos are vaguely nauseating in a 'perky-ain't-we-pals-infomercial' sort of way; I think I'd have to give up all the brands I enjoy most if I let is blather annoy me too much...I see what you mean, though. :unsure:

4. sdre Jan 20, 2020

I use to collect squale abit. I like their opaco series and the matte 1521. Great size divers and loads of heritage.

kip595 likes this.
  5. kip595 Jan 20, 2020

Thanks for the input. I was considering one of their current smaller spec 20 atmos, the Militaire, as a beach-day/boat-day light duty piece I don't need to worry too much about.

9000-Squale20atmosCeramicMilitaire3.jpg
    William LaRoque likes this.
  6. sdre Jan 20, 2020

if you can take the fauxtina color then go ahead. i prefer their vintage pieces.

7. kip595 Jan 21, 2020

I was looking for vintage originally, but haven't had much luck with finding a reasonably priced one that's been properly serviced and pressure tested.

8. scapa Jan 25, 2020

I owned a 20 Atmos a while back, in blue. It was well-made, reasonably accurate, and a bit heavy/unbalanced on my small wrist. I sold it on but it was a quality piece, and with a band instead of bracelet would make an excellent weekend or beach watch. The guys at Gnomon are very responsive and usually thrown in a few goodies with an order.

9. Evose Jan 25, 2020

Picked up the 20 Atmos couple years back from Gnomon. They're great pieces with a rich history; but as some have pointed out in reviews, it's a homage, at least the 20.

10. Timo832000 Jan 26, 2020

I wear a 1521A (50 Atmos) since 5 years as my beater, I love it! It runs fine, has a lovely unique look and pairs well with every kind of strap.