Forums Latest Members

Contacts for laser welding jobs?

1. lando Apr 15, 2017

On a freshly acquired watch i would need a laser welding job done.

Does anybody have a contact who could offer this? Preferably located in europe.

Thank you very much.

2. tyrantlizardrex Apr 15, 2017

Swiss Time Services (Essex, UK) offer case work, which includes laser weld/repair/refinish.

lando likes this.
  3. brunik Apr 15, 2017

I would recommend the ones that I use... xxs soldering in Santander, Spain

They make magic in restoring parts...

If you contact them you can say that me (my nickname) recommend them to you

Cheers

lando likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 16, 2017

Laser welding machines are quite common in the jewelry industry - watchmaking was late in adopting this technology. So if you look locally for a goldsmith there's a good chance they will have one.

Cheers, Al

lando likes this.
  5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 16, 2017

They might have the machine, but not the skills to use it on steel - be careful

lando likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 16, 2017

The OP did not mention a specific case material, so I have not made an assumption with regards to the material he is working with. Of course I would certainly ask them if they have done stainless welding before if it's a stainless watch, but honestly if you have used one of these machines, it's pretty straightforward. Typically the training package that comes with the purchase of the machine will cover all the materials the machine can weld - they even include a selection of various filler wire with the purchase, including stainless and Ti.

I'm basing this off a good friend who has just purchased one, and yes I've already used it...on stainless...:)

Cheers, Al

7. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 16, 2017

A jeweler friend of mine bought one of these laser welding machines a few years ago. I asked him if he could also do lasik with it. He replied it's the same machine, different instruction book :).

Paedipod, STANDY and Spacefruit like this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 16, 2017

I know this was a joke, but really it's not the same kind of laser. Lasik is done via Excimer lasers, using a noble gas lasing medium, and are ultraviolet. Most laser welders are Nd:YAG lasers (lasing medium is a crystal rod), and are infra-red. Since 1064 nm wavelength is absorbed by the retina, using an Nd:YAG laser for lasik would be a VERY bad idea. Indeed you would not have to wear glasses anymore, but not because your vision was corrected. ;)

Cheers, Al (who bought about a dozen Nd:YAG based laser marking systems in my time as a project engineer)

sensui, Spacefruit and Paedipod like this.
  9. lando Apr 17, 2017

Thank you very much, everybody. :thumbsup:

Yes, it will be SS. I will now check with the mentioned contacts and then decide on how to proceed.