Forums Latest Members
  1. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jul 30, 2012

Hi, will like to seek opnions on this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251113848566?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Is this a refinish dial although the seller says that it is an original dial? The movement looks to be in great shape cosmetically wise. And also should I be concern with this seller. Just want to do a ref check?

Thanks for help.

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 30, 2012

original dial with patina. case ok but not pristine. movement looks nice.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 30, 2012

Overall picture a decent piece and choice. The dial look pretty good ,original dial with minor aging for a white dial, probably not even noticeable on the wrist. As stated the movement looks very clean. The 354 is capable of great accuracy, I have just observed this first hand in a constellation 354 that I finished cleaning and reassembling a week ago. I have been stunned by the accuracy of a couple seconds a day on a 58 year old watch. A little cleaning with a moist cloth or q-tip, then hand buff with a jewelers cloth and your in business. service should not be much with a competent watchmaker experienced in Omega bumpers.

4. ulackfocus Jul 30, 2012

Nice watch. Interesting feature on the crown - the little Mercedes-ish symbol means it has the Naiad waterproof system. It was designed to give extra water resistance and was introduced in 1957. The pressure of deeper water pressed the crown tighter to the case (or something like that). The problem was it didn't work at shallow depths so Omega scrapped it in the 60's.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 30, 2012

One of the better examples of this particular Constellation I've seen in awhile. Movement is nice and clean. The NAIAD crown is a bonus.

With 39 bids so far, you're not the only one who has found it.

Be prepared to pay,
    gatorcpa

6. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jul 30, 2012

Dennis, you mentioned it was introduced in 1957 but the watch is described circa 1952. So is the crown not original to the watch?

7. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jul 30, 2012

How much do you guys reckon this one will go for?

8. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 30, 2012

Am I the only one terrified of buying from Mexico? I wouldn't buy a 7 dollar calculator from there, let alone a 1k plus watch. Now... 7 dollar watch...maybe. Gavin, you may have some of these guys bidding against you on that watch. They seemed a little too positive.

9. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jul 30, 2012

I am sure I am not the only one who saw this on this forum. :( I am also wondering if any of the guys here had bought anything from this seller. He is also selling a pretty nice JLC memovox travel clock.

10. ulackfocus Jul 30, 2012

I might be off on the year they introduced it. It's more likely a replacement crown.

Given it's from Mexico as Patrick brings up, it might be a bargain as many shy away from eBay watches in Central or South America (including me). If you can snag it under $950 you're doing well, but my gut still tells me to plan on around $1100.

Nope - see my post above.

Won't be me, even if it was from around the corner.

A) It's not ethical to snake it out from under another member.

B) I already have my ideal caliber 354 Constellation - an 18ct De Luxe reference 2799.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 30, 2012

Regarding Mexico there are a few guys that do buy from down there, I /think/ Mike mentioned he'd indulged south of the border on occasion. Also oddly enough both my my Seamaster PiePan and Dennis' I believe were originally Mexican delivered watches, so some interesting things went there in the 50s.

12. ulackfocus Jul 30, 2012

There's surely plenty of honest sellers south of the border. The problem is there are plenty of slicksters and frankenmasters too. I've bought a few watches from Mexico and South America - just never had anything but bad luck from eBay sellers located in that region.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 30, 2012

I think maybe the difference is if you're buying Speedmasters its a lot more cut and dry regarding the dial, and the case/movement has a lot move value to it and no direct cheaper substitutes, making it a bit safer.

14. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jul 30, 2012

I have bought at least 4 watches from this seller and have had no problem so far, he's an American seller (his stuffs are shipped from the US )

This watch is a nice one but won't go over 850 usd, I guess.

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 30, 2012

This seller is know to produce happy buyers. That is what makes the location acceptable in this case.

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 30, 2012

$600-750 for this watch.

17. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jul 30, 2012

Thanks for the feedback on the seller. Makes it easier to decide.

18. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jul 31, 2012

Sold for
    US $976.66
    Did you win, Gavin?

19. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Aug 1, 2012

Yep I did:) . But somehow I think I did not do too well price wise:( ? Was hoping that it would go for Mike's or your estimate. But I guess I should be thankful that it went for the lower end of Dennis's guess given that were at least 18 other bidders for this. Really excited and looking forward to getting it as this is my first real vintage. Thanks for all your help and time on a noob. Think this will not be my last and you guys are making me lose interest in modern pieces. Will share pics once I receive it. Thanks guys.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 1, 2012

Don't feel too bad about it being above Mike's estimate, when you're buying as a part of a collection a piece has to either justify a place in your collection, or be a good buy that will appreciate and/or be flipped for profit if ever needed. You're buying from a daily wear perspective as a watch that you'll wear and love into the future, and if that's what you're after, getting the right piece that you want for you makes it worth the money you've paid.

The piece got the thumbs up from a couple of the guys that know best and you took your time and did your homework, so well done on that.

How long until you get it :)