Forums Latest Members
  1. x2victor3x Feb 6, 2019

Hi all, I wanted get some input before i purchase one of these watches. I can only afford one at the moment and would like to know if you could only choose one, which would you choose, and why? Both are advertised as "working" condition but in person inspection is not possible as these both are from online sellers. I would also appreciate feedback as to whether the price on each watch is a "fair" price?
    1. 1968 Omega Seamaster DeVille in 14k gold with a black alligator skin leather strap. Price- $500 USD. (Pics below)

2. Omega Constellation $525 USD.
    DV1.jpg DV 2.jpg DV 3.jpg DV 4.jpg DV 5.jpg DV 6.jpg C2.jpg C3.jpg C4.jpg c5.jpg

C1.jpg
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 6, 2019

Both will likely need service so you need to factor in another couple hundred bucks. I would pass on both and look here for a nice Seamaster, in the $700-800 range.

Noddyman and mydeafcat like this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 6, 2019

Seamaster is a midsize at about 32mm and is gold-filled (you can see severe wear on the back of the lugs) not solid gold, so it would be a no buy at any price.

Except for the dial the Constellation isn't bad, if you can liver with the dial, but you will likely regret it later.

I'd move on an find some better choices.

apsm100 likes this.
  4. x2victor3x Feb 6, 2019

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't even notice the wear on the seamaster. I am inclined to purchase the constellation as it seems like they are more desirable and generally go for a lot more then $500.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 6, 2019

Factor in the value of the dial which can account for 30% or more of the value and its really not such a bargain. Be sure you're comparing apples to apples.

Lots of nice watches out there, be patient, or not.

mydeafcat likes this.
  6. Dan S Feb 6, 2019

Pass on both.

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 6, 2019

Just to put things in perspective for you. I just picked up this 1958 Constellation for less than those two combined. Note the sharpness of the case and lugs, cleanliness of the dial and detail of the medallion. To top it off, my watchmaker checked it out and said the movement is in very good shape and appears to have been serviced recently. I would consider this a very lucky find (thanks @Edward53 for posting) but it also means that if you keep your eyes open, there are still really good watches out there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Feb 6, 2019
  8. ICONO Feb 6, 2019

Heed that wise, & experienced advice…perfectly true !

9. x2victor3x Feb 6, 2019

Thanks all, it looks like I'm gonna pass on both. Patience isn't my strong suit but it is the best course of action at this time.

10. Bencherman Aug 11, 2020

11. Bencherman Aug 11, 2020

I would like to purchase a similar watch as posed in this thread, however my knowledge is severely lacking. Are there reputable dealers out there that I can trust as to the quality of the watch? I've just started to learn about patina, finishing of the dials, gold (plated, filled, solid, etc). I see many nice pieces on Chrono24, eBay, C&C, as well as other vendors' websites, but I really don't know how to evaluate the watches with a critical eye. Can somebody help/advise?

12. Dan S Aug 11, 2020

Not to be rude, but every day someone starts a thread with this same question. I recommend looking around the forum a bit and reading the responses to these other threads. The advice to you will be the same. With time, research, and knowledge you will be able to ask more specific and detailed questions about particular watches.

BTW, it's not generally effective to hi-jack an existing thread to ask a completely new question.

13. TexOmega Aug 11, 2020

Other than that......Welcome to the Forum

And generally, one can put in the time and find a reasonably priced example, or pay for someone else's time and effort and wear it now.

Lot's of great threads here on OF and members for guidance which ever direction you choose.

apsm100 likes this.
  14. Bencherman Aug 11, 2020