Forums Latest Members
  1. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 28, 2012

2. pknopp Nov 28, 2012

I watched that. Seems many knew it wasn't "gold plated".

3. ulackfocus Nov 28, 2012

The hallmarks on the back of the lugs were the giveaway it was solid, but I wonder how many knew the bezel was missing? Keep an eye out for it to be relisted if it's returned. Missing parts not mentioned usually qualifies as an item that's not described properly.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 28, 2012

Price was pretty good but pictures were clear enough to note the absence of a bezel. With a bezel this is a $3500-4000 watch so if an exact copy could be fabricated for say $500 or less then it's a good buy. I've inquired previously about having a bezel made for a watch like this and it doesn't sound it would be difficult to do at all.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 28, 2012

You could buy a stainless one from Ofrie and have it plated. They listed a Constellation one that fits the last time I looked.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 28, 2012

From your lips to a higher authority's ears. :) With boxes and papers? Maybe.

I've seen these sell for more like $2.5K - $3K in similar condition on eBay with bezel. In a highly publicized auction from one of the big houses, maybe a little better. Also, we don't know if it was 14K or 18K gold. You'd need a 20X macro picture to tell the difference without cracking the case. 18K is worth a bit more.

I agree with the premise that a nice gold bezel could be custom made, but I think the cost would be higher due to the gold content and labor. I'm thinking $1,000 or so for 18K. Might be easier (and cheaper) to find a beat-up, redialled, gold-capped Constellation to harvest the bezel, many of which are solid 14K anyway.

I think the buyer overpaid on this item by at least $1,000.
    gatorcpa

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 28, 2012

If you had a steel one, you could get a jeweler to make a gold replacement easily enough off of it too.

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 28, 2012

I would like to think you are right gator but I've seen piepan connies like this in 18k gold with case and dial this nice and of course with bezel top $4k on ebay. I think 2.5-3k will no longer win it if the auction is well pictured and seller is reputable. The Asian market is just too strong - in southeast asia, for the successful folks there, they aren't feeling the recession at all. Growth in the Philippines for example was 7.1% in the 3Q of this year and other countries like indonesia, malaysia, thailand and vietnam are in the 4-7% range. Plus the USD has depreciated 5-7% this year so far in that part of the world so it's not surprising we are seeing this kind of price appreciation for the vintage watches they favor - like a solid gold piepan date connie with these lugs - go up and up. It no longer surprises me that a gold cap version of this same model in great condition pushes if not exceeds $2k.

And you can get a near perfect 18k bezel for a watch like this made in SE Asia by a master jeweler for melt value of the gold plus maybe $50-100 for labor.

hoipolloi likes this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 29, 2012

There may be a few that go that high on eBay, but I feel that this example is more typical...and is quite similar to the watch just sold:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OMEGA-CONSTELLATION-PIE-PAN-18K-SOLID-YELLOW-GOLD-DIAL-/160921490415Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

And remember that we don't know if the particular one referred to at the beginning of this thread is 14K or 18K.

Can't argue with your economic logic here MSN. However, my thought is that a lot the market in Asia is conducted through higher end auctions and reputable internet retailers located there. Many of those watches are "picked" from eBay in iffy condition for considerably less than retail and then properly restored. Those watches are fetching really big bucks from Asia, but not on eBay.

Well, here is the link to the completed auction section of eBay for "Omega Pie Pan Constellation", so we can check it out anytime we want:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=omega constellation pie pan&_pppn=r1&_dmpt=Wristwatches&LH_PrefLoc=0&LH_Complete=1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Looking at these listings, you can throw out a majority of them as redials or different models. However, of those correct non gold pie-pans that did sell, most seem to be in the high three figures, with nicer ones in the $1,200 to $1,500 range. To go over $2K, it has to be in really good condition and have a special attribute, like an original black dial or box and paperwork.

I'm figuring at least $250 to $300 in gold cost for a bezel, plus labor. That still brings the cost close to what you'd pay for a redial gold-cap with a decent case, and you still wind up with a parts movement if anything goes south.

I'm sure happy I got mine two years ago before the prices went crazy.

Good post!
    gatorcpa

10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 29, 2012

+1.
    It's fairly easy to have a solid gold bezel made over there with a minimal cost and I am with Mike about the final price for that watch.